Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
As do the people who run up their credit cards to buy season tickets to sporting events, the latest electronics, expensive watches, and so on. Overspending IS a problem, but it's not solely a FEMALE problem, which is how you are portraying it.

We moved out of California after the housing bubble burst. A lot of the people in our area cashed in the equity of their homes to buy boats, jetskis and large-screen TVs, as well as stuff that couldn't even be resold, like vacations and cosmetic surgery. This is not a female problem. It's also not a problem that everyone has.
Sorry, but a lot of the housing market problem was due to women pushing their husbands to get more house than they need/afford.

There was even a commercial that portrayed the very issue, and was basically the problem with the nation/economy , always wanting more, bigger and better..

YouTube - Suzanne Researched This Commercial

The most expensive purchase you will ever make in your life is a home, and that's most of the debt that people have.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM

483 posts, read 555,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
And from people with that mentality:
  • Spending $800 on hockey tickets, jerseys, an autographed poster, and various video games: cool hobby
  • Spending $800 on shoes and a handbag: shallow and wasteful

Actually, I think paying all that money to go to see a MILLIONARE play hockey or any other professional sport is moronic and sheepish. A lot of men and women do this. I could see doing it if the person was uber rich and going to see people, who made much less than they did, play a sport.

I doubt very many men buy exspensive handbags and shoes.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
and if she's using credit cards and getting into massive debt and gets helped by some bailout, where responsible people are the ones who wind up paying the price, then it does impact me.

I know women living the SATC lifestyle, and are living far beyond thei rmeans and are in massive debt.
That was portrayed in the show. Carrie was about to lose her apartment because she was broke. She figured out she had spent something like 40k on shoes. (How mature.)Then she was upset that her well off friend wouldn't help her out. Later, of course, her friend does so no consequences for her. *puke*.

I hate that women loved that show and its characters. If Carrie and co. were real they would look right down their noses at most women. I knew there was a real life impact when I went out to dinner with a group and the women all ordered "cosmos".

The show is not feminist or empowering. The women in it are stupid and fake. Nice that they are good friends but big deal. Women like to bond with each other, how's that new?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Quote:
Sorry, but a lot of the housing market problem was due to women pushing their husbands to get more house than they need/afford.

There was even a commercial that portrayed the very issue, and was basically the problem with the nation/economy , always wanting more, bigger and better..

YouTube - Suzanne Researched This Commercial

The most expensive purchase you will ever make in your life is a home, and that's most of the debt that people have.
You think the housing/mortgage crisis was caused by women pushing their husbands to get more house than they need/afford.????

Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That was portrayed in the show. Carrie was about to lose her apartment because she was broke. She figured out she had spent something like 40k on shoes. (How mature.)Then she was upset that her well off friend wouldn't help her out. Later, of course, her friend does so no consequences for her. *puke*.

I hate that women loved that show and its characters. If Carrie and co. were real they would look right down their noses at most women. I knew there was a real life impact when I went out to dinner with a group and the women all ordered "cosmos".

The show is not feminist or empowering. The women in it are stupid and fake. Nice that they are good friends but big deal. Women like to bond with each other, how's that new?

Bravo!

I don't know much if at all about the show, but I presume these women like Carrie made a whole bunch of stupid choices, were irresponsible, but at the end, a guy comes by, ignores all the stupid mistakes/faults, and bails her out, right?

So my presumption about the show is true, then won't that only encourage poor behavior in women mimicking the show, thiking they can live these kind of lives, but prince charmingi will still sweep them off their feet in the end?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
You think the housing/mortgage crisis was caused by women pushing their husbands to get more house than they need/afford.????
A lot of it, not all of it.

Did you watch the commercial and see how he's pressured into giving and going for the more expensive home? well, that's how lots of people got into trouble with their ARMs.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The thing that gets me about the Sex and the City "backlash" if you can call it that, (and it's not coming from the people indifferent to SATC on C-D. At least not all of them.) is that there's a tone of "since it's a cultural phenomenon that appeals to women, it has to be silly and frivolous and unimportant, because everything that women like is silly and frivolous and unimportant." People talking about the Sopranos or hockey at the watercooler is fine, because that stuff's cool, but Sex and the City, that's for chicks.
The Sopranos was for everybody and it was cool! Hockey, well, plenty of northern women get into it. I'd take either over SATC any day, which is only for *some* chicks. If women want something different/better, they have to create it or ask for it. But a lot of women embraced this show just like they read magazines like Cosmopolitan.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
Actually, I think paying all that money to go to see a MILLIONARE play hockey or any other professional sport is moronic and sheepish. A lot of men and women do this. I could see doing it if the person was uber rich and going to see people, who made much less than they did, play a sport.
I am not the type to spend $800 on a purse or a pair of tickets to an event, either. I am just saying that it's silly to condone spending $800 on one hobby but not another. Many people who say, "$100 is too much to spend on a pair of shoes" probably own something else that costs $100. Some guys spend money on their cars, or they want a $400 phone, or whatever. It's ALL just stuff, so there's no point looking down your nose at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
I doubt very many men buy exspensive handbags and shoes.
They do, or they wish they did. My husband worked for a custom clothier in Newport Beach, one that made suits for sports stars and other celebrities. Their suits cost thousands of dollars apiece, and they did not want for business. I worked at an M&A firm at the time, and my boss wore expensive custom shirts and suits. I think his shirts were in the vicinity of $400 each.

A dear male friend of mine loves shoes and has about 30 pairs, most costing $200 or more. He's a CFO, and that's what he likes to spend his pocket money on.

One of the regular male posters here loves to talk about his clothing collection. Another is fond of dropping the names of labels he and his wife wear and where they shop. (Yeah, you know who you are. )

I was at the Hermes site earlier, inspired by beta's talk of handbags. There's a whole section for the boys. Likewise with Armani, Calvin Klein, and other labels.

Men might not spend a lot on handbags (briefcases and satchels and luggage, well, yeah), but they do spend a lot on other stuff that many people find just as frivolous.

Edited: Don't even get me started on golf!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The Sopranos was for everybody and it was cool! Hockey, well, plenty of northern women get into it. I'd take either over SATC any day, which is only for *some* chicks. If women want something different/better, they have to create it or ask for it. But a lot of women embraced this show just like they read magazines like Cosmopolitan.
Yeah. I think the worst that came from the Sopranos and guys emulating it was using terms like "whack", that's about it. I doubt too many guys became gangsters from watching that show, though I admit, i only watched it 1 or 2 times..

Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
A lot of it, not all of it.

Did you watch the commercial and see how he's pressured into giving and going for the more expensive home? well, that's how lots of people got into trouble with their ARMs.
Sorry bm, (can we call you that?) men can be awful when it comes to big toys. They like to display their success/status by providing the most expensive big stuff - usually in the form of houses and cars, boats, etc. Normally both parties are at fault for overspending - in the end you are responsible if you sign the papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships