Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,945 times

Advertisements

I need to lay down an ultimatum to my ex: No joint custody of the Prized Pup (we swap him some weekends) if she keeps trying to guilt trip me about our marital dissolution, AKA 'divorce'.

Two weeks ago, she unloaded on me, telling me how miserable she is in every imaginable anger-driven way AND concluded I a 'narcissist', that the divorce was simply a convenience for me, her 'life is in upheaval in so many ways' my life was pretty much the same, only ongoing without her...blah blah blah. She emails me and reminds me that she feels her life is erased, she feels homeless [note to self: She got enough money in the settlement to make a 75% downpayment on a nice (Salem, MA) condo. Instead she blew it on vacations, botox, a new BMW]. She is not happy with her current choices to either move in with her aged mother or her re-bound boyfriend. She says it is now just hitting her almost 2 yrs later that her life will never be the same and she has to fend for herself. She needs to work full time (she doesn't) and make some adult decisions. She is playing up the helpless victim role, tossed out on the street with nothing.

She did eventually apologize for the 'narcissist' remark and 'convenient' remarks...but this all needs to stop. I can't keep running to my therapist or Zen master every time she pulls this crap, yet giving her the dog lets me get away etc but...he can and will stay with neighbors....

(I live on a property bordering lakes and woodlands in the sticks, she is back in the city; dog is 'home' here - I see her dog-love time as a privilege - and mostly often an inconvenience to both of us)

I need to suck it up and tell her

"Look....Jessica....as much as I hope you are doing well and moving ahead with your new life, I can't unfortunately be reminded when you are not. It's not good for either of us; I too have had my struggles but it's something we can't share anymore. Yes, this has been difficult and it might well at times still be...but we each have to face it on our own. When we meet, just keep our chat perfunctorily cordial, hand off the leash and be done with it. I can't listen to your 'helpless victim' stories and I don't need the guilt-trip. If it does not stop you won't see the dog. I have no choice but I hope you understand".

Is there a better way to handle it?
I hate to 'use' the dog as the fulcrum on this lever, but she uses the swap to blast me, guilt me. Turn-a-round is fair play, ne c'est pas?

Last edited by cwaggy; 06-16-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I need to lay down an ultimatum to my ex: No joint custody of the Prized Pup (we swap him some weekends) if she keeps trying to guilt trip me about our marital dissolution, AKA 'divorce'.

Two weeks ago, she unloaded on me, telling me how miserable she is in every imaginable anger-driven way AND concluded I a 'narcissist', that the divorce was simply a convenience for me, her 'life is in upheaval in so many ways' my life was pretty much the same, only ongoing without her...blah blah blah. She emails me and reminds me that she feels her life is erased, she feels homeless [note to self: She got enough money in the settlement to make a 75% downpayment on a nice (Salem, MA) condo. Instead she blew it on vacations, botox, a new BMW]. She is not happy with her current choices to either move in with her aged mother or her re-bound boyfriend. She says it is not just hitting her almost 2 yrs later that her life will never be the same and she has to fend for herself. She needs to work full time (she doesn't) and make some adult decisions. She is playing up the helpless victim role, tossed out on the street with nothing.

She did eventually apologize for the 'narcissist' remark and 'convenient' remarks...but this all needs to stop. I can't keep running to my therapist or Zen master every time she pulls this crap, yet giving her the dog lets me get away etc but...he can and will stay with neighbors....

(I live on a property bordering lakes and woodlands in the sticks, she is back in the city; dog is 'home' here - I see her dog-love time as a privilege - and mostly often an inconvenience to both of us)

I need to suck it up and tell her

"".

Is there a better way to handle it? Look....Jessica....as much as I hope you are doing well and moving ahead with your new life, I can't unfortunately be reminded when you are not. It's not good for either of us; I too have had my struggles but it's something we can't share anymore. Yes, this has been difficult and it might well at times still be...but we each have to face it on our own. When we meet, just keep our chat perfunctorily cordial, hand off the leash and be done with it. I can't listen to your 'helpless victim' stories and I don't need the guilt-trip. If it does not stop you won't see the dog. I have no choice but I hope you understand
I hate to 'use' the dog as the fulcrum on this lever, but she uses the swap to blast me, guilt me. Turn-a-round is fair play, ne c'est pas?

Sounds like the healthiest way to handle it to me.

If you don't do this you're just volunteering for more of the same from her.

And "joint custody" of pets after a breakup is silly anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,704,499 times
I personally would leave out the end."If it does not stop you won't see the dog" and "I hope you understand" because that opens the door for an argument. JMO

Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM

She is seriously tight with the dog.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I personally would leave out the end."If it does not stop you won't see the dog" and "I hope you understand" because that opens the door for an argument. JMO

Good Point. So what do I do just ignore her when its time to swap?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,704,499 times
No I would say all the other stuff...not seeing the dog sounds like a threat that's all. The other stuff sounded great.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Well she gets The Speech Friday.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,032,802 times
I agree with the others - leave off the threat - or she will find it inconvenient to return the dog to you one day. Just tell her you no longer wish to be involved in her ups or downs, as you have stopped including her in yours. What is her business is HER business and you not only don't want to hear it, you will stop listening. Further, you could say, "When we meet to swap the dog, let's keep it to the bare necessities: we can be cordial and friendly, but beyond basic pleasantries, that's all we really have to say to each other. With the exception of notifying the other if there's anything unusual about the dog that might require vet care."

Be firm yet polite. Don't say anything that might open a door to discussion or argument. State your position, hand over the leash and walk away. If she starts talking or yelling, keep on walking. You'll have already stated that you will not listen, so do not.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,223,951 times
AUGH! I know what you mean. When my ex and I split up, we'd still babysit each other's birds. Yes, it was nice not to have to pay a pet-sitter, and I got to see the bird that went with him and he got to see the bird that went with me. But when he started acting like, well, his usual bratty self, the cost of a pet-sitter suddenly became very much worth it.

If the dog is yours and there is nothing in your divorce agreement about visitation, I'd cut her off if I were you. The whole point to divorce is not to have to deal with the person's nonsense, and life is too short to waste time and energy on such silly little hassles.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,950,694 times
I'm an avid dog lover. I've had my dog for nearly ten years. I love her to pieces. I don't know what I'd do without her. But if this were happening to me I'd have to either cut him off from visitation with her or, if I knew she'd be well taken care of, I'd give her up to him so there was no excuse to see each other. If this is your only tie, it may be your only solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships