Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:43 PM

52,191 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

I don't care if this is being judgmental

John Edwards is a straight up scumbag. He can lie right to your face and not even flinch.

I can't believe he was as close as he was to becoming a president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile What I can't understand...

I can't understand Edwards. He is a public person running for office and you would think he'd clean up his act.

I just saw her on Larry King Live and she does come off as likeable. I also read her book. They renewed their vows in 2007 (30 years) - then she and the children are with him night and day on the campaign trail. How hard that must have been....

I feel truly sorry for all of them - John Edwards for being so stupid and then lying and his whole family. Just how sad. This was her soulmate and she said it well.

I don't how people can change like that - deep down. She knows him from way back - I think that hurts a lot.

To do this to your spouse who has a terminal illness is just wrong; just wrong.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Another child -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethCollins View Post
It is hard to really know the truth in these matters.
He lost a son, so maybe he wanted another child to replace this one.
Perhaps his wife's illness and the death of said child was too much for him to bear.
Everyone was concerned about Elizabeth perhaps he felt no one was giving him the love and care he needed. With wife dead he would be the only one to take care of all the kids and maybe he just needed someone to adore him, make him feel important again.
And this women did. All men like to feel important, wanted, loved, desired. Elizabeth was caught up in her own problems which is under standable and John well he was left alone with an adoring women who thought he needed to be spoiled.
I think most men would have done exactly what he did. Because that is how they roll, pun intended.
Because they lost their son, Elizabeth Edwards went on to have 2 MORE children at the age of 48 and 50. I mean, who does that?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Because they lost their son, Elizabeth Edwards went on to have 2 MORE children at the age of 48 and 50. I mean, who does that?
Well, for starters...John Travolta and Kelly Preston.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Elizabeth Edwards comes off to the public as likeable and relatable, despite that many people who know her say otherwise.
She is a ***** of the highest degree. People think Hilary Clinton isn't likable? They should learn about the real Elizabeth Edwards.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
I debated putting this into the politics forum but since it concerns relationships and peoples feelings about them, I put it here. If the mods move this, so be it.

We all know the sordid story of Edwards, Reille Hunter and Elizabeth Edwards. John Edwards is now one of the most disliked and reviled people in America. His career is ruined and even Hollywood, which tends to exploit tragedies, (remember 3 Amy Fisher movies?) isn't touching this one with a 10 ft. pole.

My question is this. Why were Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy beloved icons to so many people despite their own transgressions? Even Elliot Spitzer, former N.Y. governor caught with prostitutes, is apparently now rehabbed and is an analyst on MSNBC.

Let's stick to known facts. Edwards cheated on his wife and lied about it. He then produced a "love child" from the affair. Granted, his wife has incurable cancer which tends to make the story more sordid. Still, people have cheated on ill spouses before. None of these things are that unusual, certainly not in this day and age. As far as is known, this was Edwards only affair. I can guarantee if there had been more, these women would be crawling out of the woodwork trying to get a piece of the financial pie.

Bill Clinton had numerous affairs dating back to when he was Arkansas governor. All those close to him knew it. It was no big secret he couldn't keep his pants on. After becoming president, he continued his dalliances and was caught literally with his pants down. We taxpayers were paying Ms. Lewinsky basically for being Clinton's cuddle bunny. He then repeatedly lied about it before 'fessing up. Despite all that, he is still one of the most popular politicians around and if eligible, could easily be re-elected president again.

Ted Kennedy was directly or indirectly responsible for the death of a young woman. He cheated repeatedly on his alcoholic wife, used drugs, basically took part in every debauchery known to mankind, even as he was running for president in 1980. Yet, he was a beloved figure right up until his death. His funeral was given head of state status.

My question is why is Edwards reviled and Clinton and Kennedy did not suffer the same fate? Was Edwards worse than either Clinton or Kennedy and if so, why?

I realize these are controversial figures and politics, always a fiery subject, slants things also. But I would like to hear rational analysis and not just mud slinging and name calling. Your feelings?
Ted Kennedy was an extraordinary human being, a man who could've wasted his life being a part of the problem like Strom Thurmond but instead fought for the civil rights of those less fortunate. He was part of the solution to the racial division that has plagued this country for centuries. This country needs more Ted Kennedys and fewer Strom Thurmonds. The details of his private life are hearsay. Your claim that he "took part in every debaucery known to mankind" is so extreme that it is unsound and invalid. The details of his marriage and its problems are likely to be known to only him and his wife. He is beloved because his rocky marriage does not define this man and it certainly didn't harm this country.

Bill Clinton was a fine president. He greatly benefited this country while he was in office. The details of his marriage are between he and Hilary. His extra-marital activities are not unusual and they certainly didn't harm the country.

John Edwards painted himself as a good ol southern boy who could identify with the less fortunate. He portrayed himself as a handsome rich man who cared about the poor, the elderly, and minorities - the common man. He was a fraud. He was a superficially acceptable-looking overgrown teenager and appeared to only care about himself. Repulsive is the notion that a man of such prominence can betray and shame his cancer-stricken wife with an opportunistic and very mediocre woman in Ms. Hunter. No doubt she needed his support while she clung to life. His actions defined him. He's a pathetic individual who did nothing for this country to the extent that Kennedy and Clinton did.

These three might be offensive to the delicate sensibilities of some, but consider George Bush. He didn't cheat on his attractive wife (I always thought she was very attractive), yet his actions cost this country trillions of dollars and millions of innocent lives around the globe. He negatively impacted millions of families by lying to go to war. Bush the biggest weapon of mass destruction in recent memory, and the actions of the three you mentioned pale by comparison.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
She is a ***** of the highest degree. People think Hilary Clinton isn't likable? They should learn about the real Elizabeth Edwards.
I suppose I should read about her but I"m not that interested. I am puzzled at her apparent decision to stay in the marriage. 'Soul Mate' or not her husband seems to be on a different page and I would want to put time and space between the past and present or future.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
I have trouble understanding affairs in general. Why make a commitment only to break it?

I have a greater confusion about holding our politicians to a higher standard than the general societal standards demonstrated.

I think it goes back to a story I read ... there was something about: "Let he that is without sin...."

Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 AM

557 posts, read 1,352,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Ted Kennedy was an extraordinary human being, a man who could've wasted his life being a part of the problem like Strom Thurmond but instead fought for the civil rights of those less fortunate. He was part of the solution to the racial division that has plagued this country for centuries. This country needs more Ted Kennedys and fewer Strom Thurmonds. The details of his private life are hearsay. Your claim that he "took part in every debaucery known to mankind" is so extreme that it is unsound and invalid. The details of his marriage and its problems are likely to be known to only him and his wife. He is beloved because his rocky marriage does not define this man and it certainly didn't harm this country.

Bill Clinton was a fine president. He greatly benefited this country while he was in office. The details of his marriage are between he and Hilary. His extra-marital activities are not unusual and they certainly didn't harm the country.

John Edwards painted himself as a good ol southern boy who could identify with the less fortunate. He portrayed himself as a handsome rich man who cared about the poor, the elderly, and minorities - the common man. He was a fraud. He was a superficially acceptable-looking overgrown teenager and appeared to only care about himself. Repulsive is the notion that a man of such prominence can betray and shame his cancer-stricken wife with an opportunistic and very mediocre woman in Ms. Hunter. No doubt she needed his support while she clung to life. His actions defined him. He's a pathetic individual who did nothing for this country to the extent that Kennedy and Clinton did.

These three might be offensive to the delicate sensibilities of some, but consider George Bush. He didn't cheat on his attractive wife (I always thought she was very attractive), yet his actions cost this country trillions of dollars and millions of innocent lives around the globe. He negatively impacted millions of families by lying to go to war. Bush the biggest weapon of mass destruction in recent memory, and the actions of the three you mentioned pale by comparison.
moonbat

Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I suppose I should read about her but I"m not that interested. I am puzzled at her apparent decision to stay in the marriage. 'Soul Mate' or not her husband seems to be on a different page and I would want to put time and space between the past and present or future.
I have read a good bit about her because I wanted to understand this situation. Apparently she stayed because their political aspirations were paramount and everything else was secondary. They were on the same page and ambition took precedence over character/morality/decency. I really don't understand this kind of ambition and I'm glad I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships