Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,020 times

Advertisements

I am flattered that gentlemen exist who have been taught good manners. I appreciate a when a man holds open a door and thank them for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM

677 posts, read 1,619,903 times
I think that it's awesome and very respectful.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,003 times
Guy here. Anyway i do that for most.. old people, women, men, people carrying things\
its only a few seconds of your life

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Guy here. Anyway i do that for most.. old people, women, men, people carrying things\
its only a few seconds of your life
But of course you are. Can lakeman be a woman

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But of course you are. Can lakeman be a woman
oh you..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Lets say for example you are walking to a building and you are about 15 ft away from the door. A man is coming out the same door you are about to enter. He sees you and waits until you get there and holds the door open for you while you walk in past him. Do you like this or does it make you uncomfortable?
I'm not talking about a situation where you are right behind the man and he holds the door a few seconds longer so you can grab the door. That's normally what happens everyday. I'm talking about when he goes out of his way to hold it open for you.
You're kidding?

Why in the world would anyone be offended at such a courtesy.

I have done the same for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Why don't you your mouth? I'm sorry I didn't feel like posting on the meaning of life or the theory of relativity today.
You know, when you post on a public forum like CD, you can expect that not every response will be to your liking.

Quote:
I stated in a previous post that it made me uncomfortable because I feel I have to rush.
Sounds like you're trying to find a reason to be offended and put out.

Next time, when the guy is holding the door, waiting for you to hurry up, just stop about 8 feet away, glare at him and tell him you don't need his help, he's making you hurry when you don't want to.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-17-2010 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,166 times
When a man opens/holds a door for me I smile and jokingly say "That there are still gentlemen out there after all." I do say Thank You as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 AM

36,490 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hold the door for little old people, mothers with their hands full or handicapped folks. It IS common courtesy.

As my boys were growing up I trained them to ALWAYS open doors for others. When we were approaching a building I'd come to a dead halt at the door, even if I reached it first, to remind them I was waiting for them to be a gentleman. By the age of about 11 they didn't need further reminders
LOL. I did that too, now I do it with my gkids. At first they would stop at the door and look at me like, what? something wrong?

I still remember one particular act of courteously when I was in college (many moons ago) I was going into a building for class that had like 50 steps before you got to the door and this young man came bounding up behind me taking 2 steps at a time to reach the door first then stood and opened it for me.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Next time, when the guy is holding the door, waiting for you to hurry up, just stop about 8 feet away, glare at him and tell him you don't need his help, he's making you hurry when you don't want to.

Thanks for the advice that's exactly what I'm going to do Gosh, you're annoying.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
I have NEVER had a woman hold the door open for me like that and wait for me to go through. Its only men that do it and they only do it when I'm alone. Its nice of them to do it though. I can't argue with that. Its just surprising that in this day and age people still do that.
I've been on a bus before and have seen pregnant and old women standing and some young healthy guy is sitting in the priority seating or has a seat and doesn't even offer them his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships