U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,286,582 times

Advertisements

I will use a store as an analogy. A healthy relationship looks like a well run store. "The customer may not always be right, but he IS the customer." Adopt a similar attitude towards your partner. He may not always be right, but he's your man, and by virtue of that, there is still quite a bit to love about him.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM

624 posts, read 949,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
A healthy relationship is one with a lot of mutual respect, self-respect, joy, friendship, selflessness and partners who work as a team, not as competitors.
yes! two people who stand up for each other, work along side by side, give each other space when needed, trust each other without question.

That's how we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I will use a store as an analogy. A healthy relationship looks like a well run store. "The customer may not always be right, but he IS the customer." Adopt a similar attitude towards your partner. He may not always be right, but he's your man, and by virtue of that, there is still quite a bit to love about him.
Does this go both ways? Or does this only apply to women standing by their men and loving them unconditionally no matter what?

Because in MY store, if my customer is wrong, I tell him so. and sometimes we'll fight it out if we have to.. but I dont just 'agree' with him cause 'he's my man and theres quite a bit to love about him..'

Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Celery does not grow in deserts, does it?
ROFLMAO

busta

Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
yes! two people who stand up for each other, work along side by side, give each other space when needed, trust each other without question.

That's how we are.

Does this go both ways? Or does this only apply to women standing by their men and loving them unconditionally no matter what?

Because in MY store, if my customer is wrong, I tell him so. and sometimes we'll fight it out if we have to.. but I dont just 'agree' with him cause 'he's my man and theres quite a bit to love about him..'
Well, when I replied I was giving my personal views on how I would treat my man. But I do believe it is most important that both people have this attitude towards each other. Sometimes women can be a little too self-righteous and concerned about their offended sensibilities. But we make mistakes too. We do selfish, cruel things at times. We have flaws that have to be forgiven by our men, and we want to be accepted for who we are, don't we? And there is nothing wrong with gently confronting a friend or a spouse and telling them they are wrong. But we have to check our motives and ask ourselves, Why are we telling them they are wrong? To feel superior, to feel "one-up" on them? To "win"? To "beat the other person down" somehow"? A woman who never wants to agree with her man is a shrew, and I guarantee you he will find a way to run away from her, one way or the other.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 PM

3,895 posts, read 1,972,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What does a healthy relationship look like?

Dunno ......I never seen one. I never even heard of one.

I know the feeling.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,721,170 times
One sign of a healthy relationship is that the two people can joke around with each other. If one crosses a boundary, they immediately stop because it is the respectful thing to do.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
And there is nothing wrong with gently confronting a friend or a spouse and telling them they are wrong. But we have to check our motives and ask ourselves, Why are we telling them they are wrong? To feel superior, to feel "one-up" on them? To "win"? To "beat the other person down" somehow"? A woman who never wants to agree with her man is a shrew, and I guarantee you he will find a way to run away from her, one way or the other.
And this is when I tell my husband "this is not my hill to die on." and then I shut my mouth up.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
And this is when I tell my husband "this is not my hill to die on." and then I shut my mouth up.
Yes. If a woman often looks at her husband as an adversary or a rival, something is wrong there. Granted, healthy men don't want their wife to be a "Yes" woman, but most don't want to live with the captain of the debate team, either.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 PM

255 posts, read 243,870 times
Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.” Rose Franken

I think that a good sense of humor is an important part of it. You have to be able to laugh at yourselves and each other.
Also, I think it is SO important to never take each other for granted. Realize that every little thing your partner does for you is valuable, and that they don't do it because you are entitled to it or they owe it to you, but because they love you and want to show that love. Respect that, know that you could lose it, return the favor and always be thankful.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post

It is not void of conflict. Conflict after all is a sign of honesty anyway. The ability to handle conflicting activities like arguments and fights are what determine the health of a relationship.
Right. I think I heard somewhere: Peace does not mean no conflict. It is the ability to handle conflict through peaceful means or something like that. Does secretly throwing out old jean shorts with white strings dangling count as peaceful means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly. Rose Franken
Oooh, I like this quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships