U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM

5,053 posts, read 2,913,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You have scorpions and millipedes.
Now I'm unpacking my bags....

Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM

9,444 posts, read 9,579,758 times
I don't know why but mosquitos love to bite my cheeks, of all places. South Florida has vicious ones too. The bites itch for weeks, I have a bite right on my right cheek and I can't touch it because it will get larger. The agony of not being able to scratch the itch. lol.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM

5,148 posts, read 1,584,627 times
Quote:
You have scorpions and millipedes.
Millipedes are harmless...like caterpillars. Scorpions are hit or miss. Some houses have a lot, and some neighborhoods you'll never see them.

The only way you get stung, is if you mess with them, like I used to.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 AM

20,719 posts, read 17,782,341 times
I'm sorry, I meant centipedes. Giant centipedes.

Arizona Giant Centipede (Scolopendra heros arizonensis) - The Firefly Forest

A woman I work with found one of these in her house. She lives in Arizona. I'm staying out of your state.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM

379 posts, read 19,070 times
We have greenhead flies here, probably the most vicious fly that exists on this planet. Luckily, they only exist near the salt marsh areas. Their bite feels exactly like being stabbed by a thumbtack. Makes mosquito bites feel like a Swedish massage.

The Greenhead and You - Atlantic County Government

I sometimes drive through the salt marsh near my house, and hundreds of them viciously swarm my truck. I give them the finger.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM

10,239 posts, read 10,681,606 times
You've got to love those lovely Palmetto Bugs here in Miami..Especially the flying ones!!! FML!! If you ever want to see grown men run around like babies screaming, get them near those things, LOL

Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM

20,719 posts, read 17,782,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
We have greenhead flies here, probably the most vicious fly that exists on this planet. Luckily, they only exist near the salt marsh areas. Their bite feels exactly like being stabbed by a thumbtack. Makes mosquito bites feel like a Swedish massage.

The Greenhead and You - Atlantic County Government

I sometimes drive through the salt marsh near my house, and hundreds of them viciously swarm my truck. I give them the finger.
ACK!

It's humid here and we have gnats and mosquitos, but they're really not that bad if you use some Off. We don't get snakes and scary bugs like the deserts do, or the giant palmetto bugs and mosquitos in the more humid areas. We do get cicadas, including the massive 13-year swarms (which I was lucky to miss when I moved here because it occurred the year before), but they are harmless.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
ACK!

It's humid here and we have gnats and mosquitos, but they're really not that bad if you use some Off. We don't get snakes and scary bugs like the deserts do, or the giant palmetto bugs and mosquitos in the more humid areas. We do get cicadas, including the massive 13-year swarms (which I was lucky to miss when I moved here because it occurred the year before), but they are harmless.
Ohhh, man. I was in Virginia during the last cicada emergence. I think it was the 17 year swarm. It was like a Biblical plague. They were dropping out of trees by the dozen and landing on my head. They are harmless, but they grip your skin for dear life and are ugly as sin. And they were the size of a freakin' cell phone. Crazy.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM

24,196 posts, read 13,557,298 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant centipedes. Giant centipedes.

Arizona Giant Centipede (Scolopendra heros arizonensis) - The Firefly Forest

A woman I work with found one of these in her house. She lives in Arizona. I'm staying out of your state.
Veering off bugs for a second as this reminded me of annual pilgrmage of deer we have around here in the winter. You can see them walking down the sidewalks of the main road all the time in broad daylight. I drove past one that was standing at the door of someone's home like they were selling insurance or something - imagine opening that door. I had one get on my front porch and the dogs were going ape in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure who was going to break through the picture window first the dogs or the deer.

But, there was a news article where a woman not to far from me came home and there was a deer in her house and it was destroying everything. The place looked like a police raid. I think when the authorities got there the deer had settled on an ice cream snack in the kitchen.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Coming to a city near you soon....

We also have another lovely creature- the brown marmorated stink bug. They are new to NJ, having been brought over from China on a shipment of goods into Allentown, PA.

STOP STINK BUGS! - Learn how to get rid of stink bugs in our free information-sharing community.

Since they are new here, they have no natural enemy. Nothing will eat these things and every year they get worse. They smell horrific if you crush them. And they overwinter in peoples homes, so every fall these f*ckers are everywhere. What a nightmare. This photo is not an exaggeration of what it looks like here for a few weeks in the fall

And they are spreading westward and southward.

Last edited by Vintage Sunlight; 07-22-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.