U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM

2,732 posts, read 1,672,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
, but it's not my job to answer questions if I don't feel like to.
JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!

JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I agree, but a business might completely dry out just like a job. Many times it can happen for reasons totally outside of your control!
Yes, you're right.. Look at all those poor fishermen/women in Florida. Due to the oil spill, their lives are ruined.

The only good thing, is that they have A SKILL, so hopefully they can take those skills to Alaska, or somewhere else to make a living.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

3,261 posts, read 2,935,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Every situation is different. In my case, he works nights, and his schedule rotates so sometimes his "weekends" are in the middle of the week. I can plan my work around that, and often do. It's not like I have a bricks-and-mortar shop I have to go to and open physically. I just have to arrange telephone interviews and flip on a computer. Heck, I've worked at his house. I'll be working at various points this weekend, too, just the solo stuff of writing and editing as the mood grabs me. I planned it that way because he's working this weekend and most likely doing OT.

But yes, it's not for everyone, especially if you're talking about moving in together or getting married. A relationship is one thing, but maintaining a home together is something else entirely. It would be tough for two freelancers. Generally one partner has to have a stable income, at least for the first two or three years--which is one more reason I wouldn't want to move in with him or get married. I know myself well enough to know that if we did, I would want to go 50-50, and for him to feel like he could rely on my half. I'd probably freak out during the first dry spell and end up taking a desk job, hating it, and resenting him for it. At least now I sink or swim on my own, and if I sink, it affects no one but me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Yea, I think it's a good idea to have different streams of income. Although, I have never been stressed out because I LOVE what I do. I'm like, and people pay me for this!? Awesome!!

Seems to me that people get into business for the wrong reasons, and in that case, I can see how easy it would be to get stressed out if you don't necessarily like the work, or you're having a hard time getting it off the ground.

I guess my honey & I are SOL , we co-own and operate our business. Although, in fairness we didn't get married under those conditions, but circumstances in our life got us there. We both worked in the same industry, but his specialty is vertical (the industry itself) while mine is horizontal (financial/operations), so we are a good fit.

It's true it's dangerous to have all your eggs in one basket and to not have the stability & security of someone else cutting you a check, but that's why it requires extra discipline and dedication, both in the business and personally. So far so good.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

21,316 posts, read 19,467,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Remember that thread about how men should show initiative, how women prefer men to take initiative and do the planning, how that other guy was terrible for daring himself to ask his girl what she wanted to do in the date, etc.? Others agreed that men should be tested, make them work for it, etc. How a man should be a gentleman and so on. If you have done that a time or two, good for you.
None of that is the same as believing a man should do it all. You simply dismiss all the things that women do and call it "showing up."

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 821,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I (as a guy) would expect a women to pay half of everything we do.

This is 2010. Not 1950. Equal rights means men and women splitting the tab on everything equally.
I agree. My boyfriend and I take turns - if he buys everything for me on a night out, I return the favor by buying lunch or dinner the next day. It works better that way.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
It's true it's dangerous to have all your eggs in one basket and to not have the stability & security of someone else cutting you a check, but that's why it requires extra discipline and dedication, both in the business and personally. So far so good.
Pretty much.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,932,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
None of that is the same as believing a man should do it all. You simply dismiss all the things that women do and call it "showing up."
The things that women mentioned they did for their man was to be nice to them, show they they were happy, expressed that they had a good time, tell him he did a good job, show interest in his conversation, etc.

Quote:
I agree. My boyfriend and I take turns - if he buys everything for me on a night out, I return the favor by buying lunch or dinner the next day. It works better that way.
proudvoterofObama,
Nice to finally hear a woman say something like this . In my case, its something like that, sometimes not exactly the same. See, like I mentioned about past weekend, this girl, who came up with the plan, bought the tickets for the movies, I bought the snacks before the movie and when we were inside, needed help with something on her car tires that night and I took care of it, we both pitched in for dinner, etc . I could have said that she came up with the plan, talked about it first, mentioned it, asked me out, etc. and take advantage of that to have her take care of it all while I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Nope, she asked, I asked, I don't care, its OUR date, we are both interested in going out, and nobody twisted our arms to go so we both work on it and we both get to be in the receiving end . We both show up .

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The things that women mentioned they did for their man was to be nice to them, show they they were happy, expressed that they had a good time, tell him he did a good job, show interest in his conversation, etc.
Hooray, now you're getting it! These things are not nothing. Nothing would be doing none of those things--nothing at all.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,932,692 times
Quote:
Hooray, now you're getting it! These things are not nothing. Nothing would be doing none of those things--nothing at all.
I know that from before that women can just show up and be nice, smile, giggle, thank the guy, etc. You just confirmed that I was right, women don't go farther than that. Or if they dare themselves to offer half of the tip or something, the man will have to pass a series of tests, work it, show he will be a good provider, etc.

Now tell me, why is it that men can offer that with no problem since day #1 but women can't offer what men offer since day #1? Men can't go too far with just showing up and being nicey, smiling, giggling, telling her the night was fun, etc. They have to, as many of you have said, work it, pass the tests, spend the money, take the initiative, do the planning, show he is a gentleman, show he is a provider, etc.

This weekend I went out with an asian girl and a western girl, as I shared before in this thread. Quite different. Still, we'll go out again . I can prefer vanilla over chocolate, but it doesn't mean I hate chocolate or I won't enjoy chocolate. I date western girls regardless of them not liking equality.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I know that from before that women can just show up and be nice, smile, giggle, thank the guy, etc. You just confirmed that I was right, women don't go farther than that. Or if they dare themselves to offer half of the tip or something, the man will have to pass a series of tests, work it, show he will be a good provider, etc.

Now tell me, why is it that men can offer that with no problem since day #1 but women can't offer what men offer since day #1?
As I have said:

Quote:
Sorry, you must have missed my posts where I said that whoever asks should pay. I have asked guys out and paid their way.
Quote:
I've said that I have asked men out and paid their way so many times I've lost count.
Quote:
As I have said countless times, I have asked men out and paid their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships