U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,594,896 times
A 5 is average. 7 or 8 is basically movie star good looks without photoshop. Let's see a pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

4,384 posts, read 1,905,996 times
The OP has fallen into the pop culture gig by thinking that career will attract women.

It will in some sense, but only those who care about status or the power that a high-rating job would bring. I reckon that all the advice the OP would get would be along the same tangent; he should be himself.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 AM

7,092 posts, read 6,226,466 times
Don't feed the troll

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,244,075 times
Why would you want to be with a woman who wants you for your status? What happens if you lose your job? Or you want to make a career change?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,468,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm curious if having a great career will help me get girls. If so, what kind of career and status would be enough to make me attractive for girls. I really want to be a "10". I want my girlfriend to be proud having someone like me. Given that I'm not going to change my looks or personality, would having a great career help? I'm going into finance and statistics so I'll probably work as an analyst for my first few years after school.
Rock star, sports star, movie star...

Seriously, though, the most important thing is that your work doesn't make you miserable. People who are unhappy in their careers tend to be grouchy and that is not appealing.

It's even better if your work is something you actively enjoy doing that lights you up from inside. People who are happy in their careers and have a sense of purpose or fulfillment with them tend not to be so grouchy, as far as I can see.

In other words, choose your career based on what you want to do, not what you think someone else would want you to do.

Otherwise, a job is neither here nor there to a woman who is interested in you as a person and not just your wallet and status--as long as you have a job, aren't living with your parents when you're 30, and aren't planning to mooch off of her.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM

2,729 posts, read 1,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Well, it's apparent that my appearance is not a "10". It's probably more like a 7 or 8. I play a lot of sports for fun, but I don't go to the gym. I have a lot of muscles on my lower body but don't have a lot of abs or biceps. I don't have time to go to gym and I'm already pretty healthy so there's not much more benefit to be gained. I also don't eat protein supplements so I have to get it from meat which makes it harder to get abs. I'm 5"11 and 150 pounds.

I don't have a "10" personality, but I don't want to change it. It works well for everything (jobs, groupwork, normal friends) except getting girls. I think girls only like boys that attract a lot of attention to himself during parties.

I'm in university right now, I feel that my appearance and personality alone are not enough to bring me girls. But, that's fine right now because I don't have time for them.

I'm curious if having a great career will help me get girls. If so, what kind of career and status would be enough to make me attractive for girls. I really want to be a "10". I want my girlfriend to be proud having someone like me. Given that I'm not going to change my looks or personality, would having a great career help? I'm going into finance and statistics so I'll probably work as an analyst for my first few years after school.
You're going down the wrong road young man, a road that will lead you to utter unhappiness. You don't live your life, or build up your life, to revolve around some woman (who you don't even know yet!).

See, the problem is that women are emotionally unstable, and women have desires that change constantly. So that means, one day she's looking at you like you're Mr. Prince charming and the next day she wants a divorce, or one day you're the best thing she could have in her life, and the next day you're not good enough.

Malkiel, you need to find happiness in living your own life, on your own terms, and just have a good time with the girls you meet along the way.

Also, and another warning, you DON'T want to be involved with woman (unless you know what you are doing) who only likes you because of your profession. That type of woman does not care about you, she does not love you, and she will find an excuse to leave you when the money runs out.

Last edited by calicali01; 06-23-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM

2,729 posts, read 1,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
The OP has fallen into the pop culture gig by thinking that career will attract women.
I can see how it happens.... Since the Beatles and Elvis came on the scene in America women haven't been the same since.

These young guys see how women throw themselves at these pop icons and they want to duplicate the effect.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM

256 posts, read 235,238 times
In my book, it isn't a career that makes a man a "10". It's what kind of man he is.
If he is hardworking, decent, honest, loyal, caring, and genuine...if he respects himself and others...if he is willing to step up and be a man when it really counts, he could be a plumber for all I care.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,879,519 times
Don't mix with a chick only there for your paycheck/career/status. Reality is that paychecks/career/status are not always guaranteed but her cutting out on you is, if that is why she was there in the 1st place.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM

4,384 posts, read 1,905,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I can see how it happens.... Since the Beatles and Elvis came on the scene in America women haven't been the same since.

These young guys see how women throw themselves at these pop icons and they want to duplicate the effect.
No, not pop culture in that sense. I mean common/everyday culture, like celebrities, the media, etc.

There are no dating rules. The key in dating is to know oneself, know what you want, and seek it out. it's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships