Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 AM

577 posts, read 1,755,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCrowley View Post
The big problem that short men face - Times Online - Heightism Article
I Hate Tom Cruise · About - Tom Cruise
Heightism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Heightism
Short People Make Less Money...More Likely To Have Heart Attacks - Study | Africa/International | Peacefmonline.com (http://news.peacefmonline.com/foreign/201006/46378.php - broken link) - Short Men/Income (Re Hash Of CNN Article)
Tall men earn more than shorter colleagues, research claims. - Telegraph - Short Men/Less Money
It pays to be tall. - By Steven E. Landsburg - Slate Magazine - Tall Men/More Income (Reprint from Economist Article)

Then the countless height threads here.
And there's countless threads like that about overweight people, beautiful people, ugly people, skinny people, etc etc.... everyone deals with something about their appearance that could hinder their career or sex life. You can prove or disprove anything you want nowadays using the internet. Just like you can find some surgery that can magically make you
"perfect" but the reality is .. you'll still be the same inside.. and this isnt a common surgery with a small risk. What if instead you become a paraplegic? Would you rather be a shorter man or one who cant use his legs at all? Make the best of the hand you are dealt. The quicker you accept it and stop worrying or being angry about it.. you'll attract many more people to you....

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM

577 posts, read 1,755,192 times
Doctor's certainly don't recommend it :

Generally, doctors tend to discourage cosmetic lengthening for people who want to add a couple of inches to their frames because such people are:
  • breaking perfectly functional limbs;
  • confining themselves unnecessarily to crutches or a wheelchair for over a year;
  • voluntarily subjecting themselves to pain and discomfort;
  • exposing themselves to unnecessary risk of infections, of damaged nerves and blood vessels, and fat embolism that can result in death; and
  • incurring unnecessary expenses as the procedure is relatively expensive.
People insistent on doing the procedure, however, are required by some doctors to undergo a thorough body image assessment by a psychologist to help determine how far the person's quality of life has been affected by his perceived lack of height, and if doing the surgery will make a marked difference. The entire evaluation, which includes in-depth doctor-patient discussions, usually takes months during which time, the doctors hope that their patients will change their minds.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:57 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,566,485 times
My boyfriend is 5'5. I'm 5'6. Been together for a year. Guys near my height tend to be humble but ones who are taller (that I've met) tend to be talkative jerks.

Why is the relationship forum being infested by guys who don't know how to talk to women would do anything to get a woman but gain self-confidence?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM

19,395 posts, read 12,039,904 times
Quote:
No. I don't think you read any of my subsequent posts on this thread. A lot of women have hangups on height, but especially the shorter ones. They demand their men to be very tall, not just taller than them. Whether it be on the street, in a club, a bookstore, or an online dating site, many, dare I say most short women demand that their man be significantly taller. I notice a lot of women who around say 5'5 to 5'8 will be okay with dating a man 5'8 to 6ft or taller. However, women 4'11 to 5'3 will demand that their men be over 5'10. That is very discouraging when you come across that over and over again. These shorter women will give you many reasons as to why as 5'4 to 5'8 man isn't good enough for them. I have heard everything from "i am small, he cannot be small" to "i will not feel protected". This is absurd. This brings me to my original question. Just who are we supposed to date?
There is no need to target women shorter than yourself. You are correct that the shortest women usually are attracted to taller men. So you might have better luck with women your height or taller.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,954,823 times
Some of my favorite men are/were short and very desirable to other women--and not just because of money; Bono of U2, Dudley 'the sex thimble' Moore, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman...the list is endless.

My brother, who was only 5'6", had women fighting over him, trying to befriend me in hopes of getting close to him. Who are all these short men with women if the majority prefer tall? My guy is 5'6 (oh, and a half, can't forget that half inch. I'd be in trouble ).

I hope you opt out of this surgery. There are plenty of women who love short men.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,156,672 times
Quote:
I am 5'5 1/2. I know my height has kept me from getting many women. I am one year shy of a PhD, own property, a nice car, am assertive, and have accomplished a lot. However, society looks down on short men. No matter how much a short man has, the 6 ft bus driver, or 6'3 ice cream man will always do better with the ladies, than the 5'3 guy who is a cardiologist. Many women, even the shortest ones all have 6 foot requirements and will come up with every excuse in the book why a short man is not a real man.

I then came across this:
YouTube - Dr Paley: Cosmetic Limb Lengthening Surgery

I am now considering limb lengthening to go to at least 5'9. The $70,000 cost seems to paltry compared the benefits which may ensue.
On one hand being tall can help just as women having boob jobs can help them get male attention. However, it's not necessary in the slightest. We're close to the same height and I've never had a problem dating taller women, up to 5'9". And most women are your height or under anyway. Also, if you want a slight bump they do make shoes these days that add a bit of height--think of them as being like push-up bras.

The main thing to remember about height is that the reason women respond to it is because they innately corrolate that to safety and protection. If you can engage a woman's emotions to trigger those same feelings, then you don't have to be tall at all. I know a guy who's 5'4" and gets more women than a natural player friend of mine that's 6' tall.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,291,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
On one hand being tall can help just as women having boob jobs can help them get male attention. However, it's not necessary in the slightest. We're close to the same height and I've never had a problem dating taller women, up to 5'9". And most women are your height or under anyway. Also, if you want a slight bump they do make shoes these days that add a bit of height--think of them as being like push-up bras.

The main thing to remember about height is that the reason women respond to it is because they innately corrolate that to safety and protection. If you can engage a woman's emotions to trigger those same feelings, then you don't have to be tall at all. I know a guy who's 5'4" and gets more women than a natural player friend of mine that's 6' tall.
Well said. I'm glad that there are men speaking out, because considering this kind of surgery to get girls is borderline insanity, IMO.

OP, life sometimes isn't fair and I won't lie and say that shorter men aren't relatively disadvantaged, all else being equal, but that doesn't mean they are doomed to live alone. It simply means, as many have already said, that you need to forget about your height (which BTW at 5'5 is not THAT short) and focus on your other strengths.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM

29,630 posts, read 34,124,372 times
I don't know that very many women would say that they *prefer* short guys, but if you meet a guy who's awesome and he knocks your socks off, his height isn't going to be to much of an issue (if it is at all.)

If the OP went through with this ridiculous surgery, I still don't think he'd have success with women because of his attitude. It'd be the same with a woman who got breast implants solely to get more male attention. She might get more male attention, but if her attitude hasn't changed she'll be right back where she started.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,433,662 times
Height does matter to many women, but you don't need many, just one.

Consider also, that you may be blaming you lack of success with women on height, when it is really some other issue, such as attitude or personality. What do you do once you've had the surgery, if your success is no better? Find some other irrelevant "problem" to blame? Perhaps this will work for you, but I suggest you should be damned sure that height is the REAL problem.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,539,050 times
I went fishing last weekend and among the group there was the 2 of sexiest short guys I have ever seen! I could date one these guys in a heartbeat if I was single. They were around 5'5" I think, thick and toned. Their confidence was above the roof. They brought along 2 of the most attractive women I have even seen.

I think if you have the height dissadvantage, please work on you confidence. This will always be attractive to women, no matter what. Also, thin and short doesn't help much other than make you look like a schoolboy. Get yourself thick and work on toning yourself. Results are amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships