Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times

Advertisements

Southern men tend to be more polite, well-mannered etc. than northern/western men. People in general, not just women, tend to be more friendly in the south.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. But, based on your previous post, you seem to think there is a bifurcated code of conduct towards others, based on whether you like them or not. To me, that signals a rather cavalier approach to the subject, as if common courtesy is something that is conditional.

To me, you are polite to others regardless of your feelings for that person--short of axe murderers and child molesters.
Nope. I have read here more than once about what "bless your heart" really means when southern women use it. All the "sugar" and "darlin'" crap that's really just a facade. If that is how some people want to be, fine, but don't use it as proof that southern women are so much friendlier than other women.

There's a difference between polite and fake. With few exceptions, I am polite to people whether I like them or not. However, I don't go out of my way to be fake and fawn all over them.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Nope. I have read here more than once about what "bless your heart" really means when southern women use it. All the "sugar" and "darlin'" crap that's really just a facade. If that is how some people want to be, fine, but don't use it as proof that southern women are so much friendlier than other women.

There's a difference between polite and fake. With few exceptions, I am polite to people whether I like them or not. However, I don't go out of my way to be fake and fawn all over them.

you're just proving his point, that you miss the nuances of what it means to be polite. (it has nothing to do with calling people "sugah" or "darlin".)

being nice to people that you like is not "polite", it is normal.

knowing how to make strangers feel good, even when they disgust you, that is what it means to be polite. yeah, it can be fake, but that's how it goes.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not really. Southern gals will probably smile sweetly at you while stabbing you in the back though
Amen! That pretty well sums it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Going by Jerry Springer, Southern women are all aggressive low class floozies with two brain cells. Not that I buy into that stereotype, mind you .
That's probably why men like those "southern belles"!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you're just proving his point, that you miss the nuances of what it means to be polite.

being nice to people that you like is not "polite", it is normal.

knowing how to make other people feel good, even when they disgust you, that is what it means to be polite. yeah, it can be fake, but that's how it goes.
I personally don't think that fakeness/manipulation is a positive trait. I agree that people need to be polite to folks whether you like them or not, but there is really no reason to lay it on thick like I've seen some southern women do.

You can be polite while keeping your distance.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:

Well, since when is "bless your heart" not preferable to "My God, you are a stupid biotch"?

Something tells me that you belong to the school of thought that people should say exactly what they're thinking precisely at the moment they're thinking it, without concern for the other person's feelings or airing disputes in public.

You also, based on this post, seem to think that politeness is situational, only to be used on people you find agreeable. Other than that, it's a waste of your time and energy. And the fact of the matter is that Southern women are actually telling you exactly what they think of you. It's just that your social antennae might not be as finely calibrated as they should be. Being subtle isn't the same thing as being fake.

Back to the original point. The litmus test of who you are is how you treat those you don't necessarily care for. After all, anybody can be nice to their friends.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I personally don't think that fakeness/manipulation is a positive trait. I agree that people need to be polite to folks whether you like them or not, but there is really no reason to lay it on thick like I've seen some southern women do.

people know it when you keep your distance. it makes them feel bad, and that is impolite.

IMO some folks are under the misconception that being polite is supposed to be a wholly positive endeavour. No, being polite is difficult, it requires attentiveness and sacrifices, and it comes with a few negative consequences. nothing is black and white.

i say this because i was raised in an environment that was obsessed with politeness. it is not all roses.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, since when is "bless your heart" not preferable to "My God, you are a stupid biotch"?

Something tells me that you belong to the school of thought that people should say exactly what they're thinking precisely at the moment they're thinking it, without concern for the other person's feelings or airing disputes in public.

You also, based on this post, seem to think that politeness is situational, only to be used on people you find agreeable. Other than that, it's a waste of your time and energy.

I would argue the exact opposite. The litmus test of who you are is how you treat those you don't necessarily care for. After all, anybody can be nice to their friends.
You know very little about me and have no idea how I treat people. I do not say exactly what I'm thinking without concern for the other person's feelings. There are a few people that I would not be polite to and I have my reasons for that. I do believe in being polite to the vast majority of people, whether I like them or not.

Of the two alternatives, it would be better to say "bless your heart." However, if it is only said as an alternative and is not sincere it is fake. There's nothing inherently wrong with being fake rather than rude. Just don't use that as some sort of proof that southern women are so much better than other women.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

Agreed. Just because they can lay it on thick doesn't make them better than anyone else. It just means that they are good at being fake.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
You know very little about me and have no idea how I treat people. I do not say exactly what I'm thinking without concern for the other person's feelings. There are a few people that I would not be polite to and I have my reasons for that. I do believe in being polite to the vast majority of people, whether I like them or not.

Of the two alternatives, it would be better to say "bless your heart." However, if it is only said as an alternative and is not sincere it is fake. There's nothing inherently wrong with being fake rather than rude. Just don't use that as some sort of proof that southern women are so much better than other women.
I didn't say they were. I said they were different.

However, I will say that a euphemistic phrase is far better that being blunt. Both parties, assuming basic social skills, knows exactly what message is being delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships