Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 PM

427 posts, read 439,970 times

Advertisements

Born in the country, educated in many upscale cities. Came home and married a country boy whose interests had become different from mine, as in his priorities were drinking with buddies and sleeping around. After divorce/annulment, I then met and married a city boy with similar values to mine. Herein lies the key. Choose a partner with similar goals and values. The genre of music and the vehicle mean little as long as love is at the base of the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:59 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,926,979 times
The title of this thread makes me think of a Farmers Only commercial or something!

I think the answer to the OP's question is yes. I would date a ''Country'' girl. I don't like Country music at all, but I really don't think I hate it any more than I hate much of today's rock music that you hear on the radio.

My first really long term girlfriend was sort of in a country-ish area. It was in Jersey, but her and her family lived out in the Northwestern part of the state, up in the mountains. There were a lot of redneck types up there, a lot more lifted trucks than anything you'd see where I grew up, which was 5 minutes from the George Washington bridge into Manhattan.

When I first moved to Jacksonville, I found there were more country/redneck types than anywhere I had lived before. There were a lot more than where my then girlfriend had been from in New Jersey. There's a lot more Larry The Cable Guy lookalikes down here and many who look like the guys on Duck Dynasty. Just an observation I've made, not that I have a problem with them.

I browsed some online dating sites upon moving here and I remember so many girls having headlines that read ''Country boys ONLY!'' and a lot with headlines saying ''Looking for my redneck romeo!'' or ''Where is my redneck romeo!'' I'm assuming that's a song lyric. It's funny, because I saw a lot of headlines that quoted country songs. I became friends with a dude and when we'd ride in his car, he'd be listening to Country and I recognized a lot of these lyrics from girls headlines on the dating sites. Like ''Old boots, new dirt'', which I had never heard these songs before that or even realized they were song lyrics half the time.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Depends on the people involved.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I became friends with a dude and when we'd ride in his car, he'd be listening to Country and I recognized a lot of these lyrics from girls headlines on the dating sites. Like ''Old boots, new dirt'', wish I had never heard these songs before that or even realized they were song lyrics half the time.
There I fixed it for you
Also, just bc someone lives in the country doesn't always have anything to do with what kind of music they listen to.

A lot of city people came from the country. I grew up in small towns, lived in the country the majority of my life except for a few life changes leading me to big cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Mpls, I did live in Jacksonville for a year, too, right after I lived in Sarasota--so I know exactly what you mean about rednecks. I have a Jewish last name through marriage and found a dead lizard with a swastika drawn in blood on my desk when I came into work one morning. Walked out the door without a word- didn't think a notice would be necessary. It was a small, family-owned business.

I live in a big city now, thought I was escaping the country for 'culture' and opportunity. I've proven I could do it, but something's not right. I'm strongly thinking of going back to the country, even if I made fun of them, I think I related to the people out there better.

My favorite date is a fire and a beer, while listening to the occasional lake loon or scary coyote howl. I don't like pretentious fancy anything.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
There I fixed it for you
Also, just bc someone lives in the country doesn't always have anything to do with what kind of music they listen to.

A lot of city people came from the country. I grew up in small towns, lived in the country the majority of my life except for a few life changes leading me to big cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Mpls, I did live in Jacksonville for a year, too, right after I lived in Sarasota--so I know exactly what you mean about rednecks. I have a Jewish last name through marriage and found a dead lizard with a swastika drawn in blood on my desk when I came into work one morning. Walked out the door without a word- didn't think a notice would be necessary. It was a small, family-owned business.

I live in a big city now, thought I was escaping the country for 'culture' and opportunity. I've proven I could do it, but something's not right. I'm strongly thinking of going back to the country, even if I made fun of them, I think I related to the people out there better.

My favorite date is a fire and a beer, while listening to the occasional lake loon or scary coyote howl. I don't like pretentious fancy anything.
While I do think that a ''Country'' lifestyle and country music go hand in hand, I know that not all of them listen to that type of music. I have a friend in Jersey who has referred to himself as a ''Country Boy'' a couple times when talking about how he didn't care much for living in Brooklyn for a few years. He doesn't listen to Country music at all though. I know he's into artists like Neil Young and Johnny Cash, who did influence some of the more modern Country music, but he doesn't listen to anything you'd hear on a Country station. But he enjoys living in a quiet area and just a lot of outdoor activities and living in a more secluded place than an urban type atmosphere.

I rode dirtbikes with a lot of guys like that too. Some of them lived out in Western Jersey, but not many of them ever really listened to Country music.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up in dating a country girl, because I'm very socially liberal as a city guy and most country girls are socially conservative, so our values would likely clash.
Hah.

I lived on a farm in the country for more than half my life. I'm in no way a conservative, and neither is anyone in my family....except my one brother who moved to a large city, interestingly.

I'm married to a liberal democrat who has been in the military for 15 years, and was raised in conservative suburbia.

Our values are mostly identical and in all regards compatible.

We don't really do pigeonholes, here.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 862 times
I believe they can it just depends on the two individuals. If her loss

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
I'm a city boy and I wouldn't mind either a city girl or a country girl. Just not the suburban type girls like on the Real Housewives.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 PM

247 posts, read 197,983 times
I find some country guys very attractive but I seek out city guys for what I feel would be better compatibility and shared interests and lifestyle. I think city and country could be a good match depending on the 2 individuals.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Yes. I did. She did. I am from Boston. She is from a small town in NW Jutland in Denmark. My father went to Harvard and was a publishing company executive. I have a Ph.D in economics. Her father was forced to quit school at 15-16 and was a day laborer, truck driver and night watchman (in two Danish castles). She has a 2-year education as a Pædagog and the equivalent of a GED. And so on and so forth.

We've had no troubles about this. I respect her and her family. Also, the cultural differences between Danish and American "romantic relationships" is a much larger bridge to gap than city-country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships