Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times

Advertisements

Interesting when I was dating my boyfriend he wanted kids while I never did (and still don't). Couple years later, he's ok with my choice. Hopefully it stays that way.

A kid running around or throwing tantrums would be enough to turn my hair gray. Plus what if your disciplinary method fails? Then what? If it's too hard they'll resent you for a life-time and if it's very lenient they'll blame you either way so it would be a lose/lose issue for me. Lastly, teaching isn't my hobby.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Is it horrible that I would rather a pet over a child anyday?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Na... pets won't questioned you nor follow you everywhere. You can leave them at home and hang out with your friends.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
It's never horrible.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I think there are probably at least a couple of types of men who like kids - those who are more interested in kids when they are babies and those who are more interested in kids when they are older and able to communicate better. Personally, I had eczema as a kid and I chose not to have any of my own as I do not want to a) pass it on and perpetuate it, and b) have my kid go through what I went through.

Basically, I also think that (some) men are like only-children - they want all the attention from their wives/gf and they have got used to this. Before the baby comes along they are the focus of the relationship for the woman. As soon as the baby comes along, he/she gets all the attention and there is no time for the husband as all the attention has to go on the baby. This is my theory why some men run off and have affairs or leave at this time. They do not realise that this is what happens and they are not prepared for it.

So... now you can shoot me down and tell me this is a load of rubbish.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM

41 posts, read 71,997 times
No fatherly instinct here. And even if I had a fatherly instinct I still wouldn't want to have kids. Just think about how this world will be in 20-30 and more years. Every time I see a kid I feel terribly sorry for it.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
While out and about on the weekend I noticed that a lot of men with children seem to have a very tired "just kill me now" look about them when their kid is misbehaving.

It made me wonder if men would even have kids if it weren't for the wishes of their wife/partner?

Guys, do you have the fatherly instinct or did you have children because you thought it was the natural relationship progression, not because you actually wanted them?
I believe that a "paternal instinct" is learned behavior and not inherent. Some men seem to truly enjoy a family. Many do not.

I think at some point, 99 percent of all parents wish that they did not have children. This may be a fleeting wish based upon momentary frustration or anger or disappointment. Nevertheless, my opinion is that most men would be perfectly happy without a child or children to be responsible for.

The problem stems, I believe, from the fact that men are not emotionally equipped to deal with children. It is not their role in nature. It is a role that society has thrust them into. If a man looks frustrated or angry because of a misbehaving (or "fussy") child it is because in nature it is very unlikely that he would have to deal with this - since typically, the female of the species is better equipped to handle it.

Speaking in generalities that is. Personally, I'd rather strangle a kid than have to deal with a crying, sobbing, whiney little creature. But hey, that's me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I'd rather strangle a kid than have to deal with a crying, sobbing, whiney little creature. But hey, that's me.
LOL that's how I feel. Babysitting my boyfriend's 2 nephews with him is like hell on earth to me, even if they are well behaved. I feel like they have to be constantly entertained and are constantly asking questions.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its not the kids they hate, its the powerlessness to provide the discipline they so desperately need.
they know they are watching a young upcoming rapidly developing confident utter failure b4 their very eyes. without constructive punishment and progressive discipline we do not learn critical life skills.
we did not like the way our grandparents did things so we did our own version, we have failed.
dr spock-- another false prophet of the 60's.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-27-2010 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
If the shoe fits wear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships