Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I guess you're missing my point. I didn't say it had to be money. I did mention stay-at-home-dads, and education.He could cook, clean, take care of the kids while she works, or going to school for higher education: Something. Not just living like a teenager with no responsibilities while she has to work, cook, clean pay bills, etc.
Obviously he's providing something that she wants. Or she wouldn't be with him. So he's doing his part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
I also thought people sometimes do question the role reversal: she's called a "gold-digger" or a "trophy", depending on who's speaking.
That is a small subset. Usually, the man is blamed for only looking at a woman's attractiveness. BTW, in my long experience, I've only seen a few really clear cut situations like this. Attractiveness may be important to many men, but to go exclusively for this is rare.

In contrast, it seems quite common for women to think they can save or change losers. However, perhaps this is because, being a man, I have a pretty good idea who the losers are - and its generally not the guys who aren't getting laid.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Obviously he's providing something that she wants. Or she wouldn't be with him. So he's doing his part.
It might not have been enough. I've gotten a hint that he's getting the job (and another) so he can move into her place and also pay his portion of rent. That tells me while she appreciates him enough to still be in a relationship, she's no pushover; or that he's turning a corner and trying to mature.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
That is a small subset. Usually, the man is blamed for only looking at a woman's attractiveness. BTW, in my long experience, I've only seen a few really clear cut situations like this. Attractiveness may be important to many men, but to go exclusively for this is rare.

In contrast, it seems quite common for women to think they can save or change losers. However, perhaps this is because, being a man, I have a pretty good idea who the losers are - and its generally not the guys who aren't getting laid.
This is true. Guys may fawn for a model, but will be happy with a decent looking woman with personality. Women do like to think they can change men/people in general; of course only the men can change for themselves.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 AM

I don't mind if a woman lives with me and doesn't pay a dime or contribute in any other way. Perhaps I have a female counterpart who would do the same thing?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I don't mind if a woman lives with me and doesn't pay a dime or contribute in any other way. Perhaps I have a female counterpart who would do the same thing?
I knew a female that couldn't care, but her fiancé wanted to have a job first (and be married). There are probably cases where men don't contribute and the women do; but some men don't want to live off a women, because they feel emasculated, or because of less acceptance for stay-at-home men in general.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 AM

If women were equal, there would be no stigma. So I guess they aren't.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
I have a GF, who I call the "Bum Magnet". The last 3 guys she's been with have been total leeches. She has an advanced degree and a good job, yet she consistently dates unemployed or under-employed jerks, who always seem to want to live in her nice house and drive her nice car, yet never add anything significant to the relationship.
I think its more about her lack of self-esteem and willingness to put up with crap just to have a man around. More worrisome is that she has a couple daughters that are seemingly falling into the loser mantrap!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
My general question is why would women get involved/stay involved with men that don't have it together?
my experience is that women want someone driven and ambitious, but men don't care about those qualities very much in women. men just want someone attractive and sweet.

therefore if a woman lacks those qualities that a man wants, her best options might involve settling for someone who lacks the qualities she wants.

Quote:
If women were equal, there would be no stigma. So I guess they aren't.
c'mon kramar, that's no secret.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,596 times
Workaholics rule ... ambitious amphibian .. people call us big sharks !! .. i hate nose bleeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships