Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,714 times

Advertisements

Am I wasting my time?
I'm in my 40s (divorced, no kids), dating a fellow who's 40 (never married, no kids) for 18 months now. He's not sure if he wants to be married, still "getting used" to the idea and says he is "warming" to it. I am clear that I do want the stability of a marriage and am tiring of waiting. He just moved from a place 60 minutes away to 90 minutes away, assuring me he's still interested in seeing each other.

I would really appreciate some perspective from an outside source.

Thank you,

Lynnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Did you especially want British advice - - in which case we are honoured, or did you post on the UK forum by mistake?

Either way - I would give him the Spanish Archer (El Bow) and see what happens. If he is really keen, he will come back. Otherwise don't waste any more of your precious time on someone who is only 'warming up'. You might be missing out on something hot!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,714 times
Default British advice, please

Yes, "British advice" is what is called for. He's a Brit, and I'm living in the UK.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
I'm no Brit but him moving even further away from you speaks volumes.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
I think you should open the relationship up to seeing other people. If you like him you can still date him while he figures out what he wants. If you are still available when he decides well then you can see if you are a match then.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I think you should open the relationship up to seeing other people. If you like him you can still date him while he figures out what he wants. If you are still available when he decides well then you can see if you are a match then.
I agree. After 18 months are you ready to marry this guy? Or just want him to say "I'd like to get married someday" so you feel a bit more secure? Whatever the case, open it up and see other people, but don't completely kick him to the curb because he could be someone special.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I would have to double agree here... maybe he needs a swift kick in the pants to see you mean business. In either case are you willing to lose him? I mean if you open up the dating thing.. it may wind up to him leaving.. but on thinking about it .. is it really a loss?

Me personally... get rid of him.. he doesnt appear to be really interested although he keeps you hooked with some of his lines...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Maybe you need to dump him and review the Cougar's thread.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie08 View Post
Am I wasting my time?
I'm in my 40s (divorced, no kids), dating a fellow who's 40 (never married, no kids) for 18 months now. He's not sure if he wants to be married, still "getting used" to the idea and says he is "warming" to it. I am clear that I do want the stability of a marriage and am tiring of waiting. He just moved from a place 60 minutes away to 90 minutes away, assuring me he's still interested in seeing each other.

I would really appreciate some perspective from an outside source.

Thank you,

Lynnie
What about kids? Is it something you want or don't or if it happens, it happens?

How often are you seeing him? Were you seeing him more before the move?

If it was me, I'd also date other men. I don't stand for it, if we both have different ideas on life like that. Why waste your time when you could be out there finding Mr right? If the guy leaves when you tell him you want to date other men then don't let the door hit him in the rear. If this guy hasn't at least asked you to move in with him, honey it isn't happening. Maybe once he doesn't see you as much he'll realize just what he had, if he doesn't, be glad you didn't waste any more time.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM

123 posts, read 295,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie08 View Post
Am I wasting my time?
yes, but not because of him
Quote:
I'm...(divorced). I do want the stability of a marriage
you are divorced but want the stability of marriage. please explain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships