Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times

Advertisements

By now you probably heard about (or heard) the Mel Gibson tape where he was in a violent rage yelling at his girlfriend about the "provocative" clothes she was wearing. He basically said she deserves to be raped. While his very offensive racial remark got most of the attention, I found his attitude about women to be equally as bad.

I HATE controlling men like Mel Gibson (and he's just one of millions) who tell women not to dress sexy, who call women names who don't dress modest, and believe this type of dress is justification for rape. If I could find a stronger word than hate I would use it.

Here is my question about this. Why do women who dress sexy get involved with males who have this mindset? I realize Mel Gibson is famous and a wide range of women would want to date him.
But in the everyday non-celebrity world there are many women who dress sexy who enter relationships with men who have the same exact mindset as Gibson.

Here is my theory. Women like dominant men. Sexy attractive women can obtain dominant men and many won't settle for less. Domineering men by nature are controlling over women and have very traditional attitudes towards gender roles..including female dress. If we lived in an alternate universe where where women were attracted to more submissive type men I believe the type of female fashion that Mel Gibson finds so offensive would be extremely common and no one would think twice about it except for the fact that it looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Short answer? He seems like a jerk with a napolean complex. Wonder why his 1st wife put up with his sh*t for so long. I also wonder what his relationships are with his first hundred kids...

Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Its not an attitude, Mel Gibson is racist, verbally and allegedly physically abusive man. His relationships reflect what he is.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
By now you probably heard about (or heard) the Mel Gibson tape where he was in a violent rage yelling at his girlfriend about the "provocative" clothes she was wearing. He basically said she deserves to be raped. While his very offensive racial remark got most of the attention, I found his attitude about women to be equally as bad.

I HATE controlling men like Mel Gibson (and he's just one of millions) who tell women not to dress sexy, who call women names who don't dress modest, and believe this type of dress is justification for rape. If I could find a stronger word than hate I would use it.

Here is my question about this. Why do women who dress sexy get involved with males who have this mindset? I realize Mel Gibson is famous and a wide range of women would want to date him.
But in the everyday non-celebrity world there are many women who dress sexy who enter relationships with men who have the same exact mindset as Gibson.

Here is my theory. Women like dominant men. Sexy attractive women can obtain dominant men and many won't settle for less. Domineering men by nature are controlling over women and have very traditional attitudes towards gender roles..including female dress. If we lived in an alternate universe where where women were attracted to more submissive type men I believe the type of female fashion that Mel Gibson finds so offensive would be extremely common and no one would think twice about it except for the fact that it looks good.
Er, it is common, and many of those same men actually secretly like the fact they can show off their girlfriends and silently taunt other men that they can look but they can't touch.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
who is this "Gibson" character?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Mel Gibson screaming in a rage? Surely not. He has always been so mild mannered and stable up to this point.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Okay. Here's the secret to a happy, serene life:

Never, under any circumstances, take any celebrity seriously. When you see them interviewed about politics, life, marriage, relationships, or anything else besides whatever movie they're doing at the moment, change the channel. Don't pick up People Magazine or any of those other puff pieces, either. Because the folks they feature are typically self-absorbed nitwits whose strange worldview has been reinforced by armies of enablers in the form of publicists, agents, fans, and other assorted hangers-on. And people who hang on their every pronouncement are doing the world a huge disfavor.

You know who I find to find much more interesting and substantive than movie stars? Just about everybody else on the planet. The cashier at the grocery store. My electrician. The guy who cuts my grass. People I work with. Because they all have real lives and opinions that are based on the real world--not the Alice-In-Wonderland perspective of Hollywood.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I agree with the others: he's a miserable jerk and I don't really care what he has to say.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
who is this "Gibson" character?
Not knowing is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Mel Gibson screaming in a rage? Surely not. He has always been so mild mannered and stable up to this point.
We know you don't read the tabloids

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Something tells me that Mel and his girlfriend deserved one another. I doubt she was the innocent victim that she claims to be or the media has made her out to be. Not defending Gibson or his behavior, but none of us know what goes on between a couple, regardless of how the media portrays them or what we hear from one side or the other.

You asked: Why do women who dress sexy get involved with males who have this mindset?

It was those very males who pursued these beautiful women for the way they dress in the first place. In the beginning, the man didn't have an issue with the way she dressed so long as he was the focus of her attention and affection. After the honeymoon is over and you live with someone and become intimately close to them, you no longer want your S.O. being gawked at by other men. You don't want them walking around and behaving as though they are still "on the market" and looking for attention. If all is going well in the relationship then what she wears probably never becomes an issue, but when things are going bad and someone starts feeling insecure and losing ground with their partner, suddenly everything falls under scrutiny and they begin to question motives, behavior, and whereabouts that they hadn't when things were good.

If a man or woman suddenly starts picking at their partner over appearances, whereabouts, and "what they're up to", it's a good sign that something deeper is going on beneath the surface and the relationship is circling the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships