U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM

3,709 posts, read 3,301,632 times
Do I envy them? No.

I was single got over 3 years and I really didn't enjoy it. That said, I do know single women who don't mind it and enjoy that freedom so I can't say I pity them. I do feel bad for the ones who really want to find someone but haven't as years has gone by.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2010, 08:08 AM

428 posts, read 1,907,866 times
No, I definitely to not envy the single gals. In fact, I feel a bit bad for them, especially the ones over 30 who are very anxious b/c they have not found Mr. Right, which describes a lot of my friends.

I love being married. I am married but no kids yet. I think that this is the ideal relationship status for me to be in right now, because I love being married and love the companionship and stability, but still have all the perks of the "single world" in terms of being able to do fun things and the freedom. My husband and I go out whenever we want, have date night all the time, are still loving and affectionate with each other, can still do things spur of the moment, etc. So I feel it's the "best of both worlds" right now, and I am putting off having kids in order to enjoy this stage as long as possible. In my opinion, most unhappy married people are unhappy indirectly because of the children. Either because they're so stressed and exhausted from taking care of the kids that they have no time for the marriage, or b/c they don't have the freedom they used to have before kids, etc. so they feel trapped in the marriage.

Unread 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,473,023 times
I am single & definitely don't envy my married friends.

Do I want to find someone to marry & have kids with someday, absolutely. But I realize there are seasons in life for everything & right now I am young & fiercely independent so the world is my oyster & I'm enjoying it.

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,547,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
I realize there are seasons in life for everything & right now I am young & fiercely independent so the world is my oyster & I'm enjoying it.
Good for you!

Unread 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 2,541 times
I've been both and I can honestly say that I never want to be alone again. It can be challenging having to consider the needs of my family and juggling our schedules, but when I think of my life alone, it was very lonely. Not having anyone to come home to, no one to wake up to, nah, I enjoy my life now with my hubby and family, challenges and all. And besides, as you grow older, it's harder to find someone. When you are alone for so long it's harder to open yourself to others and just as difficult to compromise. So you have to consider what's important to you. If you are all about yourself, you will find yourself, by your self.

Unread 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM

3,460 posts, read 3,064,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I have seen a lot of men remarking on this forum about how eternal bachelors are living the life of luxury and they envy them.

Just wondering if any married/ltr women feel the same way about eternally single women?

Do you envy them?

Do you pity them?
I pity eternally single ladies only if they pity themselves...

I envy married women only if their husband gives them a life of riches and wealth such that they never have to lift a finger in their lives... but then that envy turns to pity when I think about how boring and horrific it must be to spend hours and hours getting your spa treatments or hair done everyday. Or going shopping everyday. Having that expectation to look perfect. I'd rather just continue my own life.

Unread 10-14-2010, 04:19 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,257,065 times
I do not really pity them, it's just a different lifestyle, it has good and bad points. I remember having pity for myself when I was single, but I can also remember having a lot of fun just hanging out w/single friends and having a good time, only having to pick up after myself, not having inlaw issues etc...

I do not really envy them either, I know how bad I often felt because I wasn't married (or involved).

I don't know if it is better or worse, it is just different.

Unread 10-14-2010, 05:43 AM

13,240 posts, read 6,153,728 times
Married here (13 years, but have been together for 18). We met in HS and married in our early 20's and have 4 children together.

I cannot imagine being single but I do not pity single women. I don't really give it much thought.

I think life with my husband is about as perfect as it could get. I LOVE my life, absolutely love it. I've never felt "tied down" in our relationship. He's free to pursue his passions and I'm free to pursue mine but we also have a blast when we are together.

I'll admit, I'm pretty spoiled and if God-forbid anything were to happen to my husband, I'm not sure any other man would compare to him.

I think it depends on the person though. I know I have some friends that envy single women because they don't have a solid marriage.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 10-14-2010 at 06:29 AM..

Unread 10-14-2010, 05:48 AM

16,867 posts, read 14,686,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I have seen a lot of men remarking on this forum about how eternal bachelors are living the life of luxury and they envy them.

Just wondering if any married/ltr women feel the same way about eternally single women?

Do you envy them?

Do you pity them?
This is funny. I have a higher income than most of the guys I've ever dated, including my ex-husband. Frankly, I don't see where "living the life" has anything to do with your marital status.

Unread 10-14-2010, 05:51 AM

2,998 posts, read 1,296,250 times
As a single woman, I just want to say who cares? LOL...I don't have time to think about married women, and I doubt they have the time or energy to waste time thinking about me. I just hope everyone is happy with their lives whether they are single or married, and if not, they have the wherewithal to do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships