Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Master/Slave relationships are ok?
Yes 42 47.73%
No 46 52.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,297,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I hope this doesn't become about race, has nothing to do with the thread, however, interestingly Korean women are a strong influence on their culture, not as submissive as one might think.

That is my fear.I don't want this thread to become anything that is prejudice laiden.Compared to those who disapprove of my lifestyle there are alot more racists out there and I hope that they don't show up here.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
That is my fear.I don't want this thread to become anything that is prejudice laiden.Compared to those who disapprove of my lifestyle there are alot more racists out there and I hope that they don't show up here.
Please, report them if they do.
Wont put up with any of that nonsense myself.
Just glad none of the usual misogynists on this site havent put a toe in this thread, I've been waiting for them.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Anyone here read the Twilight books? Have daughters who read it? How about the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books? The Sookie Stackhouse books? Seen the movies/TV shows? Angel? Interview with a Vampire?

These are hugely popular "mainstream" things. The whole "vampire thing" is a major money maker.

It's also kink. The seduction by the vampire, the dominance of his gaze, her surrender, the exquisite pain of the bite... sound familiar?

How about all those ridiculous romance novels... the "bodice rippers." Strong, independent woman is seduced by the powerful, dominant man... and those books are full of language revolving around surrender and submission, scenes where he is demonstrating his dominance.

We, as a society, lap these up. We're not watching/reading them because they've got a good story line... it's the same damn story line repeated a million times. They're popular because they create a fantasy people are attracted to.

It isn't a mental imbalance... it might be cultural conditioning. But yanno, most of how we live our lives is dictated by cultural conditioning. Our work ethic, the way we go to church, give back to our community, protect the innocent, serve our country... they're all forms of cultural conditioning.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Anyone here read the Twilight books? Have daughters who read it? How about the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books? The Sookie Stackhouse books? Seen the movies/TV shows? Angel? Interview with a Vampire?

These are hugely popular "mainstream" things. The whole "vampire thing" is a major money maker.

It's also kink. The seduction by the vampire, the dominance of his gaze, her surrender, the exquisite pain of the bite... sound familiar?

How about all those ridiculous romance novels... the "bodice rippers." Strong, independent woman is seduced by the powerful, dominant man... and those books are full of language revolving around surrender and submission, scenes where he is demonstrating his dominance.

We, as a society, lap these up. We're not watching/reading them because they've got a good story line... it's the same damn story line repeated a million times. They're popular because they create a fantasy people are attracted to.

It isn't a mental imbalance... it might be cultural conditioning. But yanno, most of how we live our lives is dictated by cultural conditioning. Our work ethic, the way we go to church, give back to our community, protect the innocent, serve our country... they're all forms of cultural conditioning.
Really, really good post.
I think many of us are a bunch of voyeurs as far as cultural conditioning.
What we read about, and watch on TV and the movies, we fear and condemn in real life.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As I said in the previous thread, I think people who engage in them are often victims of sexual abuse in childhood or adolescence.

Even if that isn't the case, I think people who engage in these kinds of relationships have some serious emotional imbalances.
Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Really, really good post.
I think many of us are a bunch of voyeurs as far as cultural conditioning.
What we read about, and watch on TV and the movies, we fear and condemn in real life.
We are a bunch of voyeurs.This is why serial killers get so much press coverage.People are fascinated by the strange,mythical or unknown.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Stockholm Syndrome.

I was never kidnapped or held hostage so you can safely rule that theory out.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
We are a bunch of voyeurs.This is why serial killers get so much press coverage.People are fascinated by the strange,mythical or unknown.
Indeed, you are soooooo correct on that.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Controversies about race on these forums tend to get ugly, then the thread gets locked, thats more what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
I think it comes up because in the US, most people automatically associate the words master and slave with the enslavement of blacks and the discrimination that still lingers today... and I've run into assumptions many times where people believe the BDSM has no black population, for example. Interestingly, one of the most respected people in our scene is an amazing woman named Viola Johnson. She is a black woman, a slave, and simply one of the most vibrant and incredible people you could ever wish to meet. I've known Vi for about 15 years... you know those rare people you meet who when they hug you, you feel like you've been enveloped in heaven itself? Yeah, Vi gives those kind of hugs. LOL

There's actually a rather good article from 2004 that might interest those curious about "race play" or racial undertones within the kink community. You can find it here.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
as long as we continue to ignore the flakes
Thats the key to posting here.
You have no idea.......
I have my own little troll on the Fashion & Beauty forum.
Thinking about putting a collar and leash on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.