U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 AM

12,673 posts, read 13,434,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, may you find a woman who feels the same.

I would get a pre-nup - I have assets like property and investments, and any man I might marry would have the same.

But your view is so.. so... ewwww.

Eloquence eludes me.

So what about you wanting to marry someone who has the same as you? Double standard?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 AM

9,181 posts, read 4,922,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
So what about you wanting to marry someone who has the same as you? Double standard?
That would be a double standard how?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 AM

Oh. I think.

I would expect him to have a prenup too. When you have homes, 401ks, pensions, savings, it's the wise thing to do.

Though when my husband and I married we essentially nothing, some 401k, I owned some land, that was about it.

So we had no prenup. What was he going to do? Take my strappy sandles? Would I run off with his computer network (nerd!!!)?

We merged all of our money (we always seemed to make essentially the same amount), spent it, saved it, bought a house with it, took vacations.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
That would be a double standard how?
You have your pre-requirements like I do.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Oh. I think.

I would expect him to have a prenup too. When you have homes, 401ks, pensions, savings, it's the wise thing to do.

Though when my husband and I married we essentially nothing, some 401k, I owned some land, that was about it.

So we had no prenup. What was he going to do? Take my strappy sandles? Would I run off with his computer network (nerd!!!)?

We merged all of our money (we always seemed to make essentially the same amount), spent it, saved it, bought a house with it, took vacations.
Thats different. My situation is not the same as when you got married.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
You have your pre-requirements like I do.
We may have some similarities in our pre-requirements. But our attitudes are VASTLY different.

Perhaps, if you do find someone to marry, you may want to let go of the purse strings a little and actually consult an attorney.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,406,436 times
Texas User -- Do you really think you'd like to be married some day? Why? With all due respect, you don't sound like marriage material to me.

A marriage usually implies a desire to build a shared life together with another person in a mutually rewarding partnership. I don't understand why anyone who is so determined to live their life separate/divided from their spouse would want to be married in the first place.

I agree with Huckleberry's advice that you should stay away from marriage, common law marriage, and domestic partnerships altogether.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,534,558 times
Quote:
What is the cheapest way to get married? How much will it cost in Texas?

How can I protect my Assets just incase a divorce happens? What needs to happen in the pre-marital agreement?
At the risk of sounding like a flaming romantic...to start a marriage with the idea of divorce and protecting your ass*ets, seems more like a recipe for disaster than for lasting love.

If you, for one minute, think she is marrying you for your $$..run!

If you aren't interested in what's best for her future (say, should you get hit by a bus) she should run!

Do you trust each other? with your lives? Each of you will be responsible for determining when to pull the plug. Do you trust her? She, you?

If y 'all make it 20 or 30 yrs (which I doubt from your posts, but regardless) how much you spent on the wedding or officials won't even be on your radar.

If you have doubts or are so worried about your big $$...live together. That way, when you walk out on each other, you won't be clogging up the courts with your BS.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,406,436 times
Simply living together won't protect you in the courts either. Even in states where common law isn't recognized your partner may sue you in court for what she/he feels they are entitled to.

Also, sorry, but if you really want to protect yourself, then I'm afraid sex is off the table too because you never know when birth control might fail, even if taking the best precautions. And even if you have a vasectomy (which I strongly urge you to do) herpes is a real and serious concern, not to mention more frightening STDs.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 AM

21,168 posts, read 19,077,155 times
Quote:
Which state is the most divorce friendly for men?
This information now will not do you any good, because laws change. You should seek that information when you are closer to being married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships