U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
 
3,029 posts, read 1,973,581 times
Reputation: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'd shoot myself! Between us my wife and I have seven children and nine grandchildren. Enough is enough!

Nothing scares me more than women of child-bearing age!
A lot of times men are so desiring of younger women that they are willing to take that chance. And then get "oopsed" ala Mel Gibson. Nice ending there. There are plenty of attractive, vibrant women in their 50s who are well past that, but they are being overlooked for younger women, many who may have bad motives or simply different goals and outlooks.

 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
 
154 posts, read 267,471 times
Reputation: 107
I write this from the perspective of a 30 year old woman:

When I look at my parents friends in their 50s almost without exception men age better than woman even though they are well paid professionals who do everything to stay in shape and take care of their skin etc. Around our office the professional men between 40-55 still look good. Women of that age are more likely to just look old. OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS.
 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
 
Location: My Private Island
4,926 posts, read 4,353,094 times
Reputation: 12127
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I write this from the perspective of a 30 year old woman:

When I look at my parents friends in their 50s almost without exception men age better than woman even though they are well paid professionals who do everything to stay in shape and take care of their skin etc. Around our office the professional men between 40-55 still look good. Women of that age are more likely to just look old. OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS.
I will always be of the belief that people who do not allow stress to control their life along with limited sun exposure, good diet and excercise will ALWAYS age better than anyone who doesn't........regardless of gender.

I have seen my share of both men and women who have been "rode hard and hung out wet"
 
Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
 
3,029 posts, read 1,973,581 times
Reputation: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I write this from the perspective of a 30 year old woman:

When I look at my parents friends in their 50s almost without exception men age better than woman even though they are well paid professionals who do everything to stay in shape and take care of their skin etc. Around our office the professional men between 40-55 still look good. Women of that age are more likely to just look old. OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS.
I see the exact opposite! Not exceptions. I saw it at my school reunions without fail and in everyday life. A lot is about hairlines and "spare tires", not so much wrinkles.
 
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,471 posts, read 8,147,441 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'd shoot myself! Between us my wife and I have seven children and nine grandchildren. Enough is enough!

Nothing scares me more than women of child-bearing age!
Now here's the scary thing--at 51 I could still conceivably[sic] get pregnant. The most hilarious thing ever was when that occurred to my stbxh. It was priceless. (Not that I want to or am even dating. Just sayin'.)
 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Hills & Hollers of SW MO
18,597 posts, read 15,069,144 times
Reputation: 16337
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Now here's the scary thing--at 51 I could still conceivably[sic] get pregnant. The most hilarious thing ever was when that occurred to my stbxh. It was priceless. (Not that I want to or am even dating. Just sayin'.)
Cute word play and scary indeed!

My wife had a hysterectomy when she was about 45 so I knew we were safe! That was a consideration. I had three "requirements" if I was ever again to enter into a relationship. The woman had to be long-term employed with her own retirement plan/pension. There had to be no children at home and she had to be post-menopausal.

Got 'em all on the first try!
 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Valparaiso, IN
33,735 posts, read 6,228,573 times
Reputation: 74947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That is too funny. I divorced at 48. Women at work in the 40-50 realm were coming out of the woodwork. Clearly there were more of them available than there were men of the same age group. After two years I decided I was ready to try to date -- something that kind of terrified me because I hadn't done it since the 60s and the mid-90s were far different.

Not wanting to become a cliche I avoided women in their 30s and early 40s even though several expressed interest. I much preferred someone closer in age to me who had lived through the same times, same history, same societal upheavals, same music, same movies and TV I had and could understand references to them.

I finally settled on a woman of 48 (is that close enough to 50?) whom I'd known for five years and who had been divorced for 18. In fact, she's several years older than the ex so in several senses I traded-up, not down. We're now heading towards our 14th anniversary.

Next month I'll turn 64 and to me, women in their 50s are babes and women in their 60s can be very attractive. Getting older, if you permit yourself to do so gracefully and aren't in denial, can be a lovely experience!
Way to go, Curmudgeon!
 
Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
4,401 posts, read 3,560,661 times
Reputation: 6814
A good looking successful man at 51 has a lot of prospects, if he wants to date up to 10 (or maybe even more) years younger. I got back into the dating world in my mid-40's, and had no shortage of prospects in the group up to 10 years younger. 10 years is about the limit I'd consider, as a greater age difference often involves too many generational differences that may only grow more problematical with age.

My ideal match was 8 years younger. And still ideal 10 years later. However, in my mid-50's, I'm encountering some women in my age range who are very attractive, but there aren't all that many, really. I think there is some truth to the idea that men age better than women, IF they keep themselves in decent condition.
 
Old 07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
 
12,458 posts, read 7,802,711 times
Reputation: 4615
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
A good looking successful man at 51 has a lot of prospects, if he wants to date up to 10 (or maybe even more) years younger. I got back into the dating world in my mid-40's, and had no shortage of prospects in the group up to 10 years younger. 10 years is about the limit I'd consider, as a greater age difference often involves too many generational differences that may only grow more problematical with age.

My ideal match was 8 years younger. And still ideal 10 years later. However, in my mid-50's, I'm encountering some women in my age range who are very attractive, but there aren't all that many, really. I think there is some truth to the idea that men age better than women, IF they keep themselves in decent condition.
Hi TaoistDude,

Lets put it this way; the stars can align for a man. Some men keep their hair that does not go grey, stay lean, exercise and generally looked good from the beginning. Few women can hit on every note as they age. However many men also don't hit the long shot.
 
Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
 
17,577 posts, read 16,361,673 times
Reputation: 17230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Me too.

But for what it's worth, it's entirely reasonable for a 51-year-old to look to women in their late 30s and their 40s.
I agree. But what does that have to do with whether or not "women in their 50s are desirable for dating"? How is that different from asking if "men in their 50s are desirable for dating"? Or "men in their 20's", or "women in their 30s". Good grief. There is a market for pretty much any age...the OP's question is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
However, the OP is right about one thing: None of them were as young-looking as they thought they were. The youngest-looking among them looked to be in their mid-40s, and those were the ones who did triathlons and such--and that's if it was to believed that their photos were recent.
I don't recall OP's post saying anything about that. However, I disagree if you are referring to online dating. Yes there are many, MANY, that misrepresent themselves. But pretty much every relationship I've had in the last 5 years has been a result of online dating sites, and my fellas have all looked exactly as they represented themselves. No one needs to put up with that nonsense. It's easily avoided if you use some common sense.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 07-17-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top