Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Those people who say marriage means nothing to those who get divorced. One guy I spoke to told me marriage was "like a broken iPhone - you just go out and get a new one."

What are people expected to do if they're unhappy? Live a life of misery because they don't want to dishonour their vows?
Depends on the circumstances.

I've known couples where, upon receiving news of their split, asked the question, "Well what took them so damned long?"

Then again, I've known couples where the divorce was so awful and could have been done in a less destructive way that you feel sorry for the children. You also come to resent the couple for making you choose. Yeah, not rational on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I don't know if it's so much mad as it is sad. We all want to believe marriage works and when we see it doesn't it chips away at our belief system. The reasons may make people mad. But I think in the long run it's sadness. There is a fairy tale belief to marriage in general and this gets dispelled with each marriage that crumbles. Plus, who do you keep as the friend?

I read something once that people get married in a church and divorced in a court and if they got divorced in a church there would be less of them. Right or wrong I don't know.
Yes and also the couple themselves will sometimes promote some fairy tale image of their marriage.

I had a brother and sister in-law who seemed to have it all perfect. Very attractive couple, perfectly maintained house in a well-to-do suburb, two perfect kids, they dressed perfect, had the perfect boat, perfect friends, perfect furniture, perfect yard that they worked on together. Well it was all only an illusion. The divorce was not so perfect and was in fact quite bitter.

In another example a woman would tell us - the coworkers what great friends she and her husband were, they never fought, never had a fight, not even so much as a disagreement. They got along always and everyone had the impression they had the near-perfect relationship until one day she came into work and announced her divorce. When asked why a divorce since they never even fought, she simply replied, and we're not fighting over the divorce, then she added they never fought because there was nothing to fight about, neither one ever really cared.

It's not that anyone gets mad over them divorcing, but maybe a bit over the pretense, or the fact that things seemed one way but were really another way.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and also the couple themselves will sometimes promote some fairy tale image of their marriage.

I had a brother and sister in-law who seemed to have it all perfect. Very attractive couple, perfectly maintained house in a well-to-do suburb, two perfect kids, they dressed perfect, had the perfect boat, perfect friends, perfect furniture, perfect yard that they worked on together. Well it was all only an illusion. The divorce was not so perfect and was in fact quite bitter.

In another example a woman would tell us - the coworkers what great friends she and her husband were, they never fought, never had a fight, not even so much as a disagreement. They got along always and everyone had the impression they had the near-perfect relationship until one day she came into work and announced her divorce. When asked why a divorce since they never even fought, she simply replied, and we're not fighting over the divorce, then she added they never fought because there was nothing to fight about, neither one ever really cared.

It's not that anyone gets mad over them divorcing, but maybe a bit over the pretense, or the fact that things seemed one way but were really another way.

A divorce is nobody's business but the people involved. If a couple doesn't have a happy marriage, there is no reason to discuss with other people.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
A divorce is nobody's business but the people involved. If a couple doesn't have a happy marriage, there is no reason to discuss with other people.
I didn't say they have to. Some couples however go out of their way to have others believe all is well and great, they're happy to let you know their marriage is the ideal one. You can't worry about what people think and try to convince everyone that it's a fairy tale come true and then wonder why they were puzzled over the storybook marriage crumbling. But no, one can do all the pretending they wish and they are not obligated to discuss after the truth comes out. I just wonder why some like to put on such an act.

When you see these people who claim they got everything right, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors, their marriage may be completely awful the entire time.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Because it reminds them that it could happen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships