Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM

20,630 posts, read 19,292,640 times

Advertisements

Now again, if we assume men do place more emphasis on looks than women do then the US cannot be a good dating market for men. This has been explained .The fat guy can be funny, be an MD or play in a band, what have you.

Obesity

Time and time again I see potentially pretty faces and misshaped bodies with anything but feminine dress. The remaining women will see demand for them go up which will tends to make them more demanding. Japan, for example, considers a10% obesity rate a disaster. So what happens with more female competition? They try to attract and this matters. I have seen it myself. I have met and worked with women from around the world from Europe, to India, to Japan and the difference is feminine and not fat. I have also traveled abroad. So its not a pretty face gone to waste.

Personally I would think American women would rejoice that their competition is failing. Any woman who knows what to do has her pick. There some very hot American girls without question, but I doubt they have any problems of loneliness to complain about.

I know which girls are lonely. I remember being at a book store and buying coffee. Out of luck men travel alone, but of luck women are in pairs and they were in front of me. They each got a large cookie with coffee.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,167,245 times
People in this thread speak of European men and women as if folks on the continent are monolithic. Which people? Those from Iceland or Portugal? Belgium or Poland? Norway or Greece?

If you've traveled around Europe you know that international cultural differences are much greater there than between Americans in the U.S. states. Thus, speaking of a shared European culture is fraught with lots and lots of peril.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 PM

20,630 posts, read 19,292,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
People in this thread speak of European men and women as if folks on the continent are monolithic. Which people? Those from Iceland or Portugal? Belgium or Poland? Norway or Greece?

If you've traveled around Europe you know that international cultural differences are much greater there than between Americans in the U.S. states. Thus, speaking of a shared European culture is fraught with lots and lots of peril.

Hi professorsenator,

The way I would look at it is leverage. One thing often missed is it is not so much about Americans or from elsewhere. Its about that you are American and they are not. If I am American and I am in a room full of Australians, I will probably not lack a pretext. It works like an introductory service. If there is nothing else, it burns out quickly; but exposure is optimized.

The other factor is what kind of person are you? Are you set in your ways? Does learning a new word sound like hell? Do you have nightmares about what unidentified comestible is sitting on a cracker?

The way I see it is two ways of looking at things. I have two cultural references and their collective wisdom.

So it can be a lot better or a lot worse. Its leverage.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
I lived in Europe for a few years and have long pined to go back on a more permanet basis. Basically a hot woman here is considered average where I was. Better attitudes towards men and sex. Just the absense of the permascowl that seems to be on the faces of most american women is worth the trip alone. Can't wait to go back.
On behalf of all American women, we can't wait for you to go.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,315,817 times
Isn't it funny how the same group of men try to make every thread about putting down American women. I am sorry most of you are lonely and womanless, but just to let you know, when American women travel overseas we are quite popular with foreign men. These negates your theory that we are undesirable and unlovable doesn't it?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I don't know about being "better marriage material," but the women I saw in Europe were definitely better looking than the ones I've seen in the United States. There are a LOT less fat people in Europe than in the United States, and this probably has a lot to do with it.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing on my recent trip to Germany & Austria. There are not nearly as many overweight people, and I didn't really see any obese people at all.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,864 times
That's because, in Europe, the starving people hunt and eat fat people.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Any helpful information? I'd love to know what Euro daters are like. I've been to Europe and loved it. All the culture and beauty, and the fact that there isn't a Wal-Mart anywhere for miles and miles LOL....I just wish I could afford what it takes to go there again.

This is an interesting link:

www.happierabroad.com

It's mostly geared from the male perspective, but the author makes some very good points. He's spot on about what life in modern day America is really like.
I think the guy's web site had a lot of truth to it, but it was somewhat blown out of proportion. He obviously is going to be biased in favor of dating abroad.

The happiness surveys indicate America is typially happier than average compared to most developed countries (besides Scandinavia, & the Netherlands). We do isolate ourselves too much. But people in other countries have their issues, too.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,293,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
For the record, the men are different (on varying levels) in Europe (and the rest of the world in general) as well.

But really, anyone complaining about how they can't get a date in the US or how all of the opposite sex here is awful should really do some introspection and ask themselves the question... "Could it be me?"

In defense of the guys complaining, the intensity of feminism in the US has made for some pretty interesting adaptions to gender roles. Some women want to be just like men... which sucks for the men that like femininity. I have some friends that I really want to smack in the head and tell them that there's nothing wrong with being a girl.
Femininity is relative. In European culture, women who were submissive and who had no opinion of their own used to be considered the ideal woman. In other cultures, women who are strong minded, brazen, sexual, and can hold their own are considered ideal. And that's without feminism, or any kind of academic mumbo jumbo.

I'm part Puerto Rican. In Puerto Rican culture the woman is the equal of the man, and she is the center of the family. I learned to be strong from my mom, not from any Feminist movement. And for anybody who tries to convince me to be some snivelling, submissive, house maid because that's what they're been raised to believe a woman should be, I say 'Thanks but no thanks!'

Sell crazy somewhere else.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,706,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Femininity is relative. In European culture, women who were submissive and who had no opinion of their own used to be considered the ideal woman. In other cultures, women who are strong minded, brazen, sexual, and can hold their own are considered ideal. And that's without feminism, or any kind of academic mumbo jumbo.

I'm part Puerto Rican. In Puerto Rican culture the woman is the equal of the man, and she is the center of the family. I learned to be strong from my mom, not from any Feminist movement. And for anybody who tries to convince me to be some snivelling, submissive, house maid because that's what they're been raised to believe a woman should be, I say 'Thanks but no thanks!'

Sell crazy somewhere else.
Strong woman blah blah blah.

A man should be a man and a woman should be a woman.

I'll treat my woman with respect but expect her not to be the man in the relationship.

A woman can be as strong as she wants, she'll be my equal but she sure as hell won't be the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.