Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 80,721 times

Advertisements

How normal is it for an adult male (30) to chat on the phone with his parents every single day? My husband's parents live a couple of miles away from us, and he is constantly on the phone with them, at least once a day but anywhere from 1-4 times on a given day. Is this normal and/or healthy? All the other men I've ever dated never did this at all. I've known adult women who are close to their parents who talk to their mothers frequently, but my husband not only has to see his parents and spend time with them at least 1-2 times a week, but they call him every day to chat about mundane stuff going on in each others' lives. It's creeping me out a bit because I'm not used to seeing it. I don't comment on it because for all I know it might be perfectly normal and acceptable. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Well, to me it is unusual and can be indicative of potential in-law problems.

Other than it seeming unusual to you, is it contributing to anything negative in your marriage? How long have you been married?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
No guy I knew ever talked to his parents everyday.

Not saying its normal or not, just what I've seen.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Sounds to me as though they are just close and truly enjoy one another's conversation. Who typically initiates the phone calls? Do they alienate you in any way, make you feel like an outsider?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 21,900 times
I don't see anything wrong..

I'd personally be happy, if I were you, that your SO has a great relationship with his parents.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Well, my husband visits his parents 1-2 times a day and calls them 3 times a day. Granted, they are elderly and don't get much socialization so he's mainly just making sure they are okay, his phone calls are short. So it depends on the situation - how long are the phone calls? Does he drop everything to take a call from them? Does it interfere with your relationship or lives? Is there anything else that might indicate he puts them before you?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
As long as they are not mean to you, it seems they are just close.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 80,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Other than it seeming unusual to you, is it contributing to anything negative in your marriage? How long have you been married?
I suppose nothing serious. I get along with the in-laws. I just find the daily pattern of intrusion annoying sometimes, like we'll be doing our own thing (watching a movie, cooking, etc.) and then they call and we have to put whatever we were doing on hold. Imagine that happening multiple times a day. Also, my husband, being close to them and filling them in on our lives, naturally runs our decisions by them to get their approval. I guess I never pictured adulthood or marriage like this, still seeking parents approval at our age.

We've been married for 7 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Who typically initiates the phone calls? Do they alienate you in any way, make you feel like an outsider?
They do, and no, not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
how long are the phone calls? Does he drop everything to take a call from them? Does it interfere with your relationship or lives? Is there anything else that might indicate he puts them before you?
They can be anywhere from 5-20 minutes. Usually. Perhaps not intentionally but I see it as occasionally interfering. Not really, he's just really close to them. And yeah, as others have wrote here, I guess there's nothing wrong with that in itself and I should be glad I married into a close family. I was just wanting feedback on how usual this was because I've never seen it before, at least with a guy.

Last edited by bobannah84; 07-25-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobannah84 View Post
How normal is it for an adult male (30) to chat on the phone with his parents every single day? My husband's parents live a couple of miles away from us, and he is constantly on the phone with them, at least once a day but anywhere from 1-4 times on a given day. Is this normal and/or healthy? All the other men I've ever dated never did this at all. I've known adult women who are close to their parents who talk to their mothers frequently, but my husband not only has to see his parents and spend time with them at least 1-2 times a week, but they call him every day to chat about mundane stuff going on in each others' lives. It's creeping me out a bit because I'm not used to seeing it. I don't comment on it because for all I know it might be perfectly normal and acceptable. Any thoughts?

I'm impressed by any man who is close to his family.

My b/f sees and talks to his family everyday and sometimes it does wear on my nerves but I don't complain to much.Lol
If he wasn't being good to his family I'd be upset and wonder why.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
My husband talks to his parents every day. He didn't when he was younger but now that they are elderly, he likes to check in with them daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships