U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,448,290 times
Reputation: 10082

Advertisements

I'm on a couple of free sites now, and I always check off atheist. (I'm a little a atheist, not a big A one...but I digress)

If Christianity is important enough that a man puts "I am seeking a God-fearing woman" in his profile, why is a guy like that contacting me? I usually respond politely saying, "As I am not a believer in your religion, I don't think we would be compatible."

Are these guys thinking they can change my beliefs (or should I say disbeliefs)? Or is it a matter of them just looking at my picture without reading my profile?

Gentlemen who peruse online sites - do you read a woman's full profile, or do you simply email them if you like what you see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
 
24,548 posts, read 14,969,115 times
Reputation: 24984
In my lifetime I know of many married couples who have differring religious beliefs and it's become so common place now I just think they are telling you they want to get to know you and that isn't an obstical. I know, myself, I have always been reading about different religions and religious beleifs as a curiosity and interest and I wouldn't rule anyone out for this aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
 
67 posts, read 31,884 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't show cleavage online at all, ever.
But truth be told, 95% of the men don't read all that profile baloney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,448,290 times
Reputation: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
In my lifetime I know of many married couples who have differring religious beliefs and it's become so common place now I just think they are telling you they want to get to know you and that isn't an obstical. I know, myself, I have always been reading about different religions and religious beleifs as a curiosity and interest and I wouldn't rule anyone out for this aspect.
If this were the case, why have "I am looking for a God-fearing woman" in the first paragraph of your profile? That's pretty specific. I don't even know what it means, to be honest, but I know it isn't me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
 
10,466 posts, read 7,575,179 times
Reputation: 15515
Maybe they want to put the fear of God in you. Who knows.

When it comes to meeting the right person, a lot of "must-haves" go out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM
 
14,642 posts, read 12,620,380 times
Reputation: 10618
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I'm on a couple of free sites now, and I always check off atheist. (I'm a little a atheist, not a big A one...but I digress)

If Christianity is important enough that a man puts "I am seeking a God-fearing woman" in his profile, why is a guy like that contacting me? I usually respond politely saying, "As I am not a believer in your religion, I don't think we would be compatible."

Are these guys thinking they can change my beliefs (or should I say disbeliefs)? Or is it a matter of them just looking at my picture without reading my profile?

Gentlemen who peruse online sites - do you read a woman's full profile, or do you simply email them if you like what you see?
That's just the nature of online dating, unfortunately. That's why I don't like it. Too many people lie or say one thing and then do another. It's ok to date online but I hope you're using other venues besides just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
8,883 posts, read 11,305,435 times
Reputation: 16432
Because they "listen" with their eyes. They initially get caught up with the physical attraction and then everything else becomes secondary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,843 posts, read 55,037,994 times
Reputation: 22813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Because they "listen" with their eyes. They initially get caught up with the physical attraction and then everything else becomes secondary.
That at best! Most probably don't even read the profiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,435 posts, read 1,269,215 times
Reputation: 2186
Why do you even care? Why not just ignore them? They probably just want to convert you.

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-25-2010 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,373 posts, read 7,448,290 times
Reputation: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Because they "listen" with their eyes. They initially get caught up with the physical attraction and then everything else becomes secondary.
Certainly true, I often notice people will contact me even though I am nothing like what they indicated they want in their profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Why do you even care? Why not just ignore them? The only motivation I can see from your thread is that you would like everyone on here to respond that they liked what they saw. In reality they probably just want to convert you.
Why? Well it has been oppressively hot all day so I have been cooped up in the house, incredibly bored. I felt like discussing something light, and here it is. Why do you even care?

Moderator cut: deleted quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top