Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever get married again?
Yes, definitely, I'm hoping or looking to remarry 16 19.51%
I'm not planning or looking, but wouldn't rule out the possibility 25 30.49%
I wouldn't get married, but would live with a partner 18 21.95%
No thanks, no marriage or live-in for me again, I like being on my own 23 28.05%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:01 PM

110 posts, read 777,358 times

Advertisements

For those either divorced or widowed: Do you want to, or would you, get married again?

I would not, because I discovered that I love my independence and having my living space all to myself too much to ever consider giving it up. But I have a few friends of the same age (late 50s) who are at the other extreme, desperate to find a spouse because of either being lonely or afraid there "won't be anyone to take care of" them "in their old age".

Two of my other friends are like me, we all say "Never again".

How about everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
I am one of the "never again" crowd also... A bad marriage soured me on the institution, and there are also the same kinds of problems inherent in living together (without the legal BS of divorce).

Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,031 times
I'd take a Forever Girl over being single anyday. My parents celebrated their 50th anniversary last month and are like responsible teenagers now... everyone has their own tendencies and this would be mine. Life is short and we are just a sneeze in time...

Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 PM

10,176 posts, read 11,158,716 times
Never say never - You never know when love will smack you right upside the head -

Old 06-23-2007, 04:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Highly unlikely.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Torn, there won't be anymore after this one, but this is #3 - and boy, am I glad I got over that mindset ten years ago!

At this point - 50 years old - no, I doubt it seriously if anything happened to him.....but I said that at 40 right before I said "I do", too... :-) I almost lost him a couple of years ago and it would have been extremely hard, but I'll have to say - I think I'm at that age where I don't need or want anyone to take care of me and have no fear of old age - that's why God made retirement villages and assisted living! I've encouraged him to marry again if something were to happen to me but he looks at me like I'm nuts, so I guess whatever he wants to do at that point in time....well, looks like it will be his business and not mine, huh?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:03 PM

110 posts, read 777,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Never say never - You never know when love will smack you right upside the head -
LOL, I put that philosophy right next to the one that's said to people who say they don't want to have kids: "If/when you have your own, you'll feel differently". Sometime's that's true but most times it's not!

SamIAm, you and I are on the same page about getting older. I plan on remaining independent as long as I physically can, and if worse ever comes to worst I would hire someone to help me. People who say "But who'll take care of you when you get old?" (as if it's a given that an elderly woman can't possibly survive without a devoted male hovering over her with hot soup, her pills and a shawl) make me crazy. Oh puh-leeeese! That mindset is as insulting as the one back in the 50s and 60s when the 'right' thing for a young girl to aspire to was marriage with house and white picket fence and kids (and any girl who wanted anything else was labeled as either weird or gay).

I don't want to depend on anyone in my "golden years" and I don't want anyone depending on me either.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM

10,176 posts, read 11,158,716 times
well - I understand if you're older, but still you never know. I went through heck and back with my first marriage. I swore, I wouldn't do it again and here I am 6 years later with 2 kids.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:03 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
So long as I am still able to mow that acre of a back yard of mine, I'm lovin' it! And once I'm too old and decrepid to mow it myself, I'll hire a cute lawn guy.

Seriously, I love my independence, but am open to meeting someone if that should happen. Unlike my other middle aged, divorced female friends, I just don't feel that sense of desperation to meet someone, I guess...If it happens, fine, if not, I'll survive and thrive!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:00 AM

7 posts, read 22,088 times
If I survive this so called marriage ,, I like to think I have learned my lesson!!this is #3 for me and still couldn't find a Trustworhty , Faithful , partner!!
Guess there are no Guarantees !! I like to think one of my 3 kids will be there for me in my old age !! Once again (no Guarantee) !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships