Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM

283 posts, read 458,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Several years ago I worked for a bank in Florida.Part of my job included daily phone contact with branches in other cities. One gentleman in particular had without a doubt the sexiest voice I have ever heard. When I resigned my position he drove down to say goodbye. When I finally met him face to face he was soooo not like my mental picture. He was about 5'3",balding,red haired and freckles. He introduced me to his wife, a tall beautiful goddess type, and mother to 6 children. Without a doubt they were devoted to each other. Later as we were talking she said "everybody asks why him, but just look, he's perfect." Beauty isn't always on the surface.
Behind every great man Their is always a great woman. Only fools believe that beauty is what makes a person great. A cute face isn't going to buy the food in my plate.

You just won a Rep point Lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Even if you do subscribe to this theory that less attractive men make better long-term partners, what happens when the disparity is inverted? Suppose, for example, that as both people get older, that man remains just as average as he was before but the previously attractive woman loses her looks? We had another thread on here about how men age better than women. So if that's true, then it stands to reason that even if a woman marries a man less attractive than her, she may eventually herself married to a guy more attractive than her. And if the guy married her for her looks, how will he react to one day waking up and seeing his wife isn't as attractive as him?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Yes, either or both may lose their looks with time, but if you marry solely based on looks, you have probably made a poor choice. However, people can and do BOND, and I think that's the point here. Men who marry more attractive women bond to them and are more devoted (assuming they are also compatible in other ways) because they did "better" than they should have. The bonding effect can last even though both age and lose their more youthful appearance. You see some elderly couples devoted to each other despite looking awful physically - they're still in LOVE, which is what most of us hope to realize in our lives.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Men who marry more attractive women bond to them and are more devoted (assuming they are also compatible in other ways) because they did "better" than they should have.
It depends on whether the man is letting the woman's looks compensate for things he doesn't like about her. I've seen a lot of guys do this. They're dating or marry a girl who's better looking than them. There are some red flags that would normally cause them to break up with her. But since she's much better looking than he thinks he could ever get, he overlooks those red flags. But as her looks fade, those flags become harder to look past. I knew one guy who went through this. He wasn't much to look at, but he ended up with a really attractive girl. But she could be pretty selfish and immature. The rest of us didn't quite see what he saw in her beyond her looks. He probably put up with it because he didn't think he could ever do better. And I think he even convinced himself they had more in common than they actually did. Years later after they had a kid and her drinking and smoking caught up with her, he started to see her for who she really was and began to wonder why he was putting up with her. So it was no surprise they divorced.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I knew one guy who went through this. He wasn't much to look at, but he ended up with a really attractive girl. But she could be pretty selfish and immature. The rest of us didn't quite see what he saw in her beyond her looks. He probably put up with it because he didn't think he could ever do better. And I think he even convinced himself they had more in common than they actually did. Years later after they had a kid and her drinking and smoking caught up with her, he started to see her for who she really was and began to wonder why he was putting up with her. So it was no surprise they divorced.
Do you know for a fact the divorce was really his idea?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Do you know for a fact the divorce was really his idea?
Yes, because I talked to him a few years after they divorced. He told me he was the one who wanted out and that he would've ended it sooner had it not been for their kids.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris245 View Post
Behind every great man Their is always a great woman. Only fools believe that beauty is what makes a person great. A cute face isn't going to buy the food in my plate.

You just won a Rep point Lady
Thank you ever so much.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 AM

25 posts, read 28,126 times
Personally i have to be attracted to someone before it can go any further. I only date really attractive men cause if hes not that attractive i wont be able to really get into him. Im a very attractive person and i have found that even with really good looking guys i have always had a partner that is insecure. They always want to start to change me or tell me what to do where i can and cannot go. I got married in March to a man that is really good looking and now im divorcing him. Same thing started happening he started well i saw signs before hand also it just got worst, started controlling my every move, very jealous, insecure, i had to be with him 24/7 and then became abusive. I dont play games, im very loyal so why do i keep getting with these insecure men. Maybe i should start dating less attractive men maybe i will be treated better. From my experience i feel that really good looking guys are very selfish and controlling. Anybody disagree?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Well, Kay,
the contents of a package, is more important than the package itself.

You are eliminating 90+% of the male population before you even
CONSIDER a man.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM

408 posts, read 809,409 times
Quote:
From my experience i feel that really good looking guys are very selfish and controlling. Anybody disagree?
I've dated plenty of really attractive men and all of them turned out to be A*holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships