Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM

688 posts, read 895,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Get a dog?

Seriously, too much of a good thing. If you make it too easy for him he will in fact lose interest. Men appreciate a challenge, and if they can just steamroll right over you they'll not only lose interest but respect as well. You are setting yourself up to be taken for granted.
I disagree with this. It may be true for some men, but I doubt men who are in long-term relationships are looking for a challenge of finding time with their partner.

However, people need time to themselves too. Always being around, always sending texts, calling on the phone and such can be overwhelming for some people who just want to do their own thing from time to time. Being in a relationship doesn't mean that you have to be in constant contact with each other. Doing so makes it seem like there's either a lack of trust or a plethora of boredom.

My suggestion, as others have, is find a hobby. You may not have had one before, but now is a good time to pick one up. Play a sport, play an instrument, draw/paint, read/write books, maybe start a garden, spend more time at the gym, go hiking, become a movie buff, play video games, and the list can go on and on indefinitely. There's so much to do other than spending every waking moment thinking about your partner.

Remember that everything is good in moderation. Time together with a partner is great, but time apart is just as good for the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,969,498 times
@OP:

It's normal to miss someone intensely when you are used to a lot of interaction with them. You would feel the same way if your best friend went on vacation somewhere without cell coverage.

You suddenly have a lot of free time you don't know what to do with and a lot of connection you are used to having that is gone. So don't be down on yourself.

Quote:
I don't know if he is always truthful with me either, and that hurts.
I assume he has given you reason to question his honesty?

That makes it more difficult to be apart, for sure. But it also means you should be using this time to ask yourself if you really want to be with a guy who apparently lies to you. It doesn't have to be only him, taking this time to reassess the relationship.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxS737 View Post
he said ur always around, u smoother me, clingy, needy, blah blah...six months later we are still together (&still living together) but now I am not allowed to call/text bother him while he's at work all day and when he goes out I'm also not allowed to contact him.he says I told u where I was going I don't need u calling me checking up on me like a child. When I did call when he was out the other nite at a work related event ( he doesn't go out really often ) he flipped out like I already told u where I was going u don't need to b up my ass cAlling me and texting me (I only called once)u said u were going to stop that kinda ****.
How often do you see his co-workers and go out with them? If never, this means he is acting 'single' when he is out. The flipping out when you call once is a strong sign.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,786 times
They all know me and I have been with them on most occasions ....but he gets annoyed when I want to come everytime but I guess thats understandable because I'm up his ass a lil lol.he says there is going to b tyms we can't always go out as a couple. We need to do our own thing too....

Old 07-06-2013, 02:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,589,768 times
Some people do need time alone and space to breath. I know, I do. This is especially true for introverts. It might help for you to read a little bit about introversion.

That said, I agree with the below too and you should keep your eye out for this. If he starts needing more and more time away from you or becoming more distant, even after you stop texting/calling him while he's out, then he might be on his way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I was JUST coming in here to say this! I'm amazed myself. Everyone is giving advice to this lady on how to "fix" the relationship; the relationship may very well be drawing to a close. Sometimes some get anxious and "clingy" when the signs start appearing that the relationship is ending. But "needing some space", decreased calls/texts and being "not sure he wants us" are good signs he is looking to bail.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 PM

I am a person who needs a ton of alone space, and I pick partners who are the same.

That said, isn't going to work social functions without your partner pretty weird behaviour?

I mean, I would do it if he was busy, but I am a very weird person. I wouldn't do it just to get space. I get my alone time at other times.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:19 PM

It wasn't ao much of a party it was more so work related. ...its not like I'm not around his ass 98% of the time.I can bw honest and say yes I'm up his ass a lil too much ar times lol

Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,589,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I am a person who needs a ton of alone space, and I pick partners who are the same.

That said, isn't going to work social functions without your partner pretty weird behaviour?

I mean, I would do it if he was busy, but I am a very weird person. I wouldn't do it just to get space. I get my alone time at other times.
I'm only slightly introverted so I don't need all that much alone time. Now that I think about, it really depends on the personality of my partner how much alone time I will need. If they have a draining personality or we have draining interactions, then I will need more alone time. I think most compatible couples quickly reach a point where they can be comfortable and quiet around each other, with focus some place else, even though they are in the same room or right next to each other. There really should not be that much of a need to "get away" unless you are draining each other, which is bad.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Its not just the being around each other is the fact he's trying to get at is when he's not around me its like he's still feeling smoothered because I'm still calling or texting not just leaving him alone.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM

He's a bit independent and can enjoy time by his self...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships