Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,795,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm a huge fan of formal education. I would prefer to go to the traditional route and take all those "unnecessary" classes and spend 4, 6, 8 years in college, though I do see the value in technical colleges for certain careers.

I wouldn't dismiss someone who went to a technical college when it comes to dating, but I admit that I perk up when I hear Texas A&M or Cornell University. It's not for the prestige, for me, but because I value education and because of the respect I have for those who are willing (if they are able) to put in that kind of time into their education. I wasn't as fortunate, so I also admit to envying them just a little.

Would it matter to you where a person obtained their degree, when it comes to dating?
That's a dumb reason to like a guy I don't get this new trend I'm seeing where women are fascinated with guys that went to liberal arts schools. You fail to understand that men do different jobs than than women if a guy wants to be an electrician he doesn't need to go to one of those schools you mentioned. If you want to bring up the money subject I know tons of people that make more money than people that went to an expensive 4 year college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know people from all walks of life. And the ones that went to a good college are just more interesting to talk to. They also enjoy going to museums and art galleries. I have yet to meet a tradesperson that makes an effort to go to a museum exhibit or a classical music concert. They seem content to hang out at their favorite bar or watch their favorite professional sports team. And those activities are of no interest to me.
That's one of the most shallow things I've read in a while it's so sad you college elitists think this way. Trust me folks...this is how alot of them think too. Sad sad sad. I wonder how often you have looked up from sipping your fancy latte at Starbucks and actually tried to talk to someone that has a more hands on job. I doubt you have.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times
I don't care where they obtained their degree and I don't even care whether or not they have one. Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met never even went to college.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't care where they obtained their degree and I don't even care whether or not they have one. Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met never even went to college.
Miu disagrees I guess....apparently she's talked to everyone from all walks of life and anyone that didn't go to a 4 year school is dumb and doesn't appreciate art. That's kind of funny because I didn't graduate from college (yet) but I still go to plays in the cultural district in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
I really value education and learning. In general, that means that my friends and significant others (and now husband) have all been college educated.

That said, I also know some people who didn't go to traditional college, but have furthered their education through certifications, trainings, etc. It's more whether or not the person values learning than the degree that they have.

The type of people that don't attract me are the ones who couldn't wait to get out of high school and said they'd never take any sort of class again, because they hate it. If you can support yourself that way, then fine--but it's too much of a clash of values for me.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 9,311,516 times
No, it wouldn't matter to me where someone got their degree. A broad education can be obtained in many ways and a formal education is not the only way to do it, although it may be the best way for most people, and more likely to lead to a job than someone who is an autodidact. Education itself matters to me and I wouldn't be interested in dating someone who doesn't have some sort of broader world view and is capable of conversing about more things than just what goes on in their own world.

My husband got his PhD in Germany and taught as a tenured professor for many years, including guest professorships in Europe. There is nothing like hanging around a lot of academics to take the shine off the idea that they are more interesting than people without degrees. I find many of them stopped learning the minute they got their degree as though learning is a process that ends with a piece of paper.

Interesting people never stop learning.

Last edited by netwit; 08-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
I know people from all walks of life. And the ones that went to a good college are just more interesting to talk to. They also enjoy going to museums and art galleries. I have yet to meet a tradesperson that makes an effort to go to a museum exhibit or a classical music concert. They seem content to hang out at their favorite bar or watch their favorite professional sports team. And those activities are of no interest to me.

I would never date a man only based on his physical looks and friendly personality. I really need a man that is my intellectual equal or I end up getting very bored with his company after a while. For me, the best sex in the world can't make up for a lack in the brains department. My close friends are also people that are my intellectual equal. Many members of my family went to top schools. We admire academic achievement, not prowess in sports or looking model perfect. My parents and I went to Ivy League universities. I *think* that my IQ is around 120, but I was tested as a child and the exact number was never that important to me. I enjoy the company of other nerds and geeks much more than other groups of people. And because of the way I speak, if I am in a group of people of more average intelligence and education, I do stick out like a sore thumb. But why should I dumb myself to fit in with them? Why can't I just be myself? And that's why I need my man to be cut from the same cloth.

I do see that men don't have a problem dating and marrying women that have lesser intelligence than them. With men, it's more important that their love interest be the most attractive woman that is willing to be with them. And generally, women prefer to have s/o's that are equal to them in intelligence and education level.
Oh, this is classic! And snobs wonder why others find them to be so...snobby.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

Would it matter to you where a person obtained their degree, when it comes to dating?
Not at all when it comes to dating.

Now, if I find out my dentist got his degree from a Cambodian dental school then that would really be a problem.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM

371 posts, read 894,214 times
Quote:

I would never date a man only based on his physical looks and friendly personality. I really need a man that is my intellectual equal or I end up getting very bored with his company after a while. For me, the best sex in the world can't make up for a lack in the brains department. My close friends are also people that are my intellectual equal. Many members of my family went to top schools. We admire academic achievement, not prowess in sports or looking model perfect. My parents and I went to Ivy League universities. I *think* that my IQ is around 120, but I was tested as a child and the exact number was never that important to me. I enjoy the company of other nerds and geeks much more than other groups of people. And because of the way I speak, if I am in a group of people of more average intelligence and education, I do stick out like a sore thumb. But why should I dumb myself to fit in with them? Why can't I just be myself? And that's why I need my man to be cut from the same cloth.

I do see that men don't have a problem dating and marrying women that have lesser intelligence than them. With men, it's more important that their love interest be the most attractive woman that is willing to be with them. And generally, women prefer to have s/o's that are equal to them in intelligence and education level.
Elitist much?
I'm a tradesman and have been to the MFA and seen the BSO many times. You don't need a ivy league degree to be able to appreciate the fine arts.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
I know people from all walks of life. And the ones that went to a good college are just more interesting to talk to. They also enjoy going to museums and art galleries. I have yet to meet a tradesperson that makes an effort to go to a museum exhibit or a classical music concert. They seem content to hang out at their favorite bar or watch their favorite professional sports team. And those activities are of no interest to me.<br /> <br /> I would never date a man only based on his physical looks and friendly personality. I really need a man that is my intellectual equal or I end up getting very bored with his company after a while. For me, the best sex in the world can't make up for a lack in the brains department. My close friends are also people that are my intellectual equal. Many members of my family went to top schools. We admire academic achievement, not prowess in sports or looking model perfect. My parents and I went to Ivy League universities. I *think* that my IQ is around 120, but I was tested as a child and the exact number was never that important to me. I enjoy the company of other nerds and geeks much more than other groups of people. And because of the way I speak, if I am in a group of people of more average intelligence and education, I do stick out like a sore thumb. But why should I dumb myself to fit in with them? Why can't I just be myself? And that's why I need my man to be cut from the same cloth.<br /> <br /> I do see that men don't have a problem dating and marrying women that have lesser intelligence than them. With men, it's more important that their love interest be the most attractive woman that is willing to be with them. And <i>generally</i>, women prefer to have s/o's that are equal to them in intelligence and education level.
That post reeked of obnoxiousness and gross generalisations.

I love intelligence and hold education in the highest esteem but to be slavishly snobbish and just downright elitist makes for an ugly human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships