Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

So when you think of someone being out of their league while in pursuit of companionship, what comes to mind?

No women is out of any mans league. None of them. Not even these "hotties" on CD. They can't fool us.

To answer your question, nothing comes to mind. I don't think that way and i don't know why any good would.

Maybe there are women that you're not compatible with but out of your league, no, I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
The only way I believe 'leagues' exist is the one someone places themselves in for thinking they're above anyone else. I wouldn't mind being told I'm out of that person's league. Not at all. It would be a compliment.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
For me out of my league would probably mean someone I would find intimidating intellectually or someone I really looked up to. One of those rare individuals you occasionally meet who takes your breath away by the sheer brilliance of their mind, breath of knowledge and talents and all well roundedness.

I have always pretty egalitarian in my views of people in terms of looks or money and never assumed myself "beneath" or "above" anybody else ( even when younger and a lot prettier and richer) in that regard but intellectual genius does bring the inadequate in me.

I have been lucky to meet some incredibly fascinating and extraordinary people in my days and I would never expect to be able to keep their attention for very long. Some people just outshine us and there is little oyu can do about it !
I think even people like that get taken down a few notches in your mind once you get to know them. Once you've seen that they make mistakes, have bad breath sometimes, etc. you lose that awe you once had. This reminds me of something my husband crudely says whenver I am intimidated by someone "I'll bet he/she still takes a dump" Its crude but it reminds me we are all just humans.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
"Out of one's league" is kind of like the term "overacheiver". Both of them are nonsensical as if you have attracted a mate, she's obviously interested in you for some reason. And whatever you acheive in life, once you have done so, you have proven you can acheive whatever you did.

"Out of one's league" and "overacheiver" really are nothing more than terms used by the envious.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Snooky and Bill Gates?? Gates is the one who's lowering himself, not snooky. A reality tv fame wh**re is a bad example of, in or out of your league.

-More accurate, would be royalty. Like Princess Diana. If the average guy off the street wanted to romance princess diana, she would be out of most guys leagues. But that has to do with social acceptance, nobility, traditional code of who can court or romance a royal. I think Donald Trump wanted to go out with her at one point. Even he might be out of her league.

But most women in america aren't royalty, and they don't have a royal perimeter around them, keeping men at bay.
The example I provided with a Bill Gates type, and a Snooky type is what I'm talking about when I say that leagues aren't necessarily a step up or down but a matter of compatibility. They are from two different worlds and for one or the other to set their sites for each other would probably be an example of going after someone is out of your league. While I don't like the term, I also don't think it should be used to imply someone is better than another. You may just be lowering your standards to be with someone as well. Replace Snooky with Megan Fox or Paris Hilton, still incompatible.

The Princess Diana analogy is a good one. An example of "birds of a feather flock together", and perhaps on rare exceptions we'll see a member of high society dating someone of more common stock. After JFK was assassinated, we weren't going to see Jackie move on to a Secret Service agent or a dishwasher. She stayed within her element. A taxi driver pursuing her would be out of his league, regardless if he was the most handsome man in the world.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I think even people like that get taken down a few notches in your mind once you get to know them. Once you've seen that they make mistakes, have bad breath sometimes, etc. you lose that awe you once had. This reminds me of something my husband crudely says whenver I am intimidated by someone "I'll bet he/she still takes a dump" Its crude but it reminds me we are all just humans.
I'm quite aware of that but the point is intellectually some people are just completely out my league. Nobody is perfect , nobody is immune from all the traits which make us human but some people seem to be almost unattainable in terms of their intellect.

Not because they think themselves superior but simply because they somehow make you feel inadequate simply because of their brain and breadth of knowledge. Because that is the sort of thing which impresses me.

I could not care less how much someone has in the bank or whether they are famous/beautiful/titled but someone who enthralls me with his/her mind invites certain unfavourable comparison with my own !

I have never felt that with people's looks , wealth or social status perhaps because it doesn't really matter to me that much. : Brains though to me are still the sexiest part of the human body by far.

To me a happy relationship is one of intellectual equals so being with someone who was far brainier than me would simply be counter productive IMO. Boredom and resentment would suddenly appear on the horizon, not Love's best friends in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships