Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,972,883 times

Advertisements

I wasn't desperate. I was curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I wasn't desperate. I was curious.

That curiosity lasted all of two weeks for me. YIKES!! What a different world.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,795,313 times
I believe that there is a definite advantage to having the ability to enter a relationship by way of the internet.
When a person has the opportunity to extensively communicate in the manner that an online relationship affords,
it gives them the advantage of seeing deeper into the spirit, the attitudes, the likes and dislikes of the potential
partner and may also serve to logistically set and define those boundaries that need to be kept, until a greater
sense of trust and understanding is hopefully, mutually developed.

I met my wife when I was 20 and in the Navy. Our paths fatefully crossed while I was on a three day pass
and had stopped over in NYC, as I headed out to visit my family who lived on Long Island. We met one another
in the "tap room", the piano bar at the Taft Hotel, she was at her senior luncheon with her mother and a girlfriend
from her graduating class and I was with another sailor, a shipmate from aboard the same aircraft carrier that I was
stationed aboard.

Along with her girlfriend and my shipmate, the four of us spent a half hour and shared a drink together in a cozy little
bar called "Mins" somewhere near Grand Central station and all the while it seemed that it was her silly Beatles cards,
(John, George, Paul and Ringo), that were our only topic of conversation, the Beatles were the latest rage and like they
do with baseball players, they issued little wallet-sized picture cards and all of the girls would swap and trade them among
themselves. It was her girlfriend that took my buddy's address before we parted company and I headed out to Long Island,
believing that I'd probably never see her again.

About a month later, my friend got a letter from my wife's girlfriend and in that letter she mentioned that her girlfriend
Pat would like to know if it was O.K. to write to me and I said that I'd be very happy to hear from her. When I returned to
New York again in the summer of 64, we had two dates together before my ship left for an 8 month cruise, over to the
Mediterranean sea but as I left, we agreed to keep in touch by mail while I was overseas. We wrote to one another daily,
often sending two or three letters a day. We came to know enough about one another through writing, that we became
engaged to be married, I bought an engagement ring in France and mailed it home to her in September of '64, her big brother
placed it on her finger by proxy and a few days after my ship arrived home from Europe in March of '65, we were married.

45 years later, with five children, eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild, I still treasure that shoebox full of letters
still kept on the top shelf of the closet because it was through those letters and the volumes of information that we shared as we
opened our hearts to one another so many years ago, that I credit with being the strong foundation of our successful union.
I really didn't intend to stray off topic with this response but I wanted to underscore the thought that there is much that may
be derived from written thoughts when one is looking for insight and hoping to determine the character of a potential partner.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I don't have much time today, but I had one revelation that I wanted to ask you.

On Wednesday, a female friend of mine said to us, "I create an online account just for an ego boost." How common is that?
For someone to do that? I don't know. I've never heard of anyone doing that. It actually sounds pretty pitiful for her to even say that. She must have some issues.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
For someone to do that? I don't know. I've never heard of anyone doing that. It actually sounds pretty pitiful for her to even say that. She must have some issues.
It is, people are sick. Some People do this for shyts and giggles at work. Making fun of these poor people and leading them on. Some pretend to be a guy and they are female or vice verse. I gave them hell for it. I said karma will bite you some day.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
*Mwah!* Love this post! May I humbly add ...

Men looking for women at least 20 years younger than themselves.

Men physically separated from the wife for five years but still making the house payment, spousal support and child support.

Divorced men who were married three times and have kids from all three wives.

Men who expect you to "Go Dutch" on a coffee date. Or, pick up the tab.

Men who caught a disease from their last dating site hook-up (and tell you about it).

Men who won't drive more than three miles from their home/office to meet you.
FWIW, my BF drove 65 miles to meet me. Your examples are cute, but the truth is, there are some great people to be found using the online sites.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
Please give me your honest answers here...do you believe that meeting someone online versus the traditional way (thru work,friends,etc) is taken as a sign of desperation and used as last resort... Thanks
Not at all. I definitely was in no way desperate eight years ago. Online is a medium for meeting people, same as the traditional ways. Not every guy is forward enough to ask a girl out on a date.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,076,586 times
I've never ventured there... but I thought the stigma of this had waned.

I just think it is another way to meet people.
Whatever works for you

Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
She does; she gets probably 99% of her self worth from what guys think about her sexually. However, she is not the only woman out there like that, at least not at her age group. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
She does; she gets probably 99% of her self worth from what guys think about her sexually. However, she is not the only woman out there like that, at least not at her age group. I just thought it was an interesting observation.
People like this will soon enough reveal such insecurities - no matter how you meet them. Plenty of them around...online and off. Personally I find that sort of personality a huge turnoff, and I would think that most people feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships