Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Well, the problem I've had in the past wasn't "needy" friends, but "possessive" friends. They were very possessive of our friendship. They wouldn't like if I spent time with other people, or planned a getaway with someone else. They would get very jealous if I was building other friendships and felt that they always needed to be included.
I can't feel suffocated in friendships. Although I'm loyal to couple of my friends who would always come first, the reason they still remained my friends is because of the space that they've given me over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM

408 posts, read 809,120 times
Quote:
They were very possessive of our friendship
Those are the WORST! I don't have any friends like that anymore, I had to cut ties. A friend of my friend gets so angry when I want to hang out with her because "they were friends first". Ridiculous, we aren't in highschool anymore.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Do you have many "needy" friends? How would you define "being needy?"
I have one friend who I would define as "needy". The way I define a "needy" relationship is that is it one-sided and unbalanced.

You can tell you are with a "needy" friend when they only call when they need something. When they are bored, or sick, or upset. You'll find that when you call them, they often seem distracted and uninterested.

I put up with it because this person is younger and she just kind of needs (there's that word again!) help and guidance.

I'm pretty good at setting boundaries with her. I can say "no". I also find that my relationship is not as...deep (I think that is the word I want) as some of my friendships with people who are more stable and mature. I see those friends as my equals.

With the "needy" friend, I give her tons of advice (when asked) and support for instance, but I would never turn to her when I need help or advice.

I don't think you should define yourself as "needy" if you sometimes ask for help and support from friends and loved ones. As long as you are ready, willing , and able to reciprocate when the time comes, you are not "needy", but rather a good friend.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, the problem I've had in the past wasn't "needy" friends, but "possessive" friends. They were very possessive of our friendship. They wouldn't like if I spent time with other people, or planned a getaway with someone else. They would get very jealous if I was building other friendships and felt that they always needed to be included.
I can't feel suffocated in friendships. Although I'm loyal to couple of my friends who would always come first, the reason they still remained my friends is because of the space that they've given me over the years.

"You got me babe"

sonny&cher,

hahaha

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
"You got me babe"

sonny&cher,

hahaha

LOL...roar...

Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM

367 posts, read 415,134 times
I have a friend who was emotionally needy to begin with - the type that, is she calls you on Monday night and you don't call her back, then she calls on Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. My other friends understand that I got their message and will return their call when I have a minute (and vice-versa). Maybe they would call again the following week, but not the next day (unless it was urgent). Well, this friend unfortunately is going through a very rough time - she lost her mom (she was an only child and, at 43, still lived with her mom) and she is going through some tough financial times - so her neediness has gone through the roof. She doesn't ask for money, but she calls a lot and her messages are sometimes rather desperate, emotionally. I do understand - and I have been the best friend to her that I can be (hopefully), but it gets taxing at times.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
That is what made my wife and I so compatable when we first got together......we were BOTH "needy" and "clingy" towards each other. Wanted to do everything together and be together every minute we could. The "needy" and "clingy" thing sure worked for us!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
That is what made my wife and I so compatable when we first got together......we were BOTH "needy" and "clingy" towards each other. Wanted to do everything together and be together every minute we could. The "needy" and "clingy" thing sure worked for us!
Awwwww. Shucks.

My guess is that what made it work though, was the fact that you were both needy, AND both willing to give.

Congratulations!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You know, maybe it's not such a horrible thing. Maybe this society has bought too much into the self-sufficiency in EVERY area blabber.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Depends on your definition of needy - but in general these people don't hang around too long because I don't give into there needs if they are unreasonable or burdensome.

This doesn't apply to my close circle of friends of course. I don't care if there need is something I consider unreasonable - I'm so there. Course they don't do that a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships