Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times

Advertisements

Yes I have felt like that before. I don't even have to be single to feel it either.

There is a friend of mine who spent YEARS being a massive player, body abuser and party animal, and now that he is in a long term relationship he's all committment and health and exercise and he shows disgust towards people who are EXACTLY how he used to be. Ever since he started seeing this girl.

Although there are a lot of positive changes coming out of his relationship, I miss the old him SO much. He used to be so much fun and now he's just an uptight old man.

And those people who go on and on sickeningly about their perfect relationship on social sites like Facebook, and then you hear that they've broken up. That always makes me smile just a lil bit. Sorry but it does. Of course if they were my close friends I wouldn't feel that way, but I am talking about if this is someone I hardly know.

I have no problem being around happy people though, I think it's lovely. One of my workmates, before she got a boyfriend, hated running into old friends because she couldn't stand to hear how happy they were. I didn't get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Yes I have felt like that before. I don't even have to be single to feel it either.

There is a friend of mine who spent YEARS being a massive player, body abuser and party animal, and now that he is in a long term relationship he's all committment and health and exercise and he shows disgust towards people who are EXACTLY how he used to be. Ever since he started seeing this girl.

Although there are a lot of positive changes coming out of his relationship, I miss the old him SO much. He used to be so much fun and now he's just an uptight old man.

And those people who go on and on sickeningly about their perfect relationship on social sites like Facebook, and then you hear that they've broken up. That always makes me smile just a lil bit. Sorry but it does. Of course if they were my close friends I wouldn't feel that way, but I am talking about if this is someone I hardly know.

I have no problem being around happy people though, I think it's lovely. One of my workmates, before she got a boyfriend, hated running into old friends because she couldn't stand to hear how happy they were. I didn't get that.
You miss the "massive player, body abuser and party animal"? And you're upset because he is "all commitment, health and exercise", declaring him an "old man", when, really, he's matured. There's something very, very wrong with that line of thinking. But at least you know you have company, with the OP.

Someday, when you grow up, you'll know how your "friend" feels, when you show disgust at how you acted.

I'm sure he'd love to know you have his best interests at heart, too. Like any good "friend" would.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM

17 posts, read 21,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
As a single person, sometimes couples bother me. I just don't like being surrounded by couples because I feel left out. There was a time when a lot of my friends were in relationships. But one of them ended at the end of the Spring semester. And another relationship that I've been hoping would end just ended. Of course, these people don't know I wanted their relationship to end. I don't know the details of why they ended. I am just happy that they're no longer in a relationship. Is it bad that I want relationships to end? Or if you're single, can you understand why I would be bothered by couples?
Acutally, no... I like it when they live in misery. And most couples do.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
As a single person, sometimes couples bother me. I just don't like being surrounded by couples because I feel left out. There was a time when a lot of my friends were in relationships. But one of them ended at the end of the Spring semester. And another relationship that I've been hoping would end just ended. Of course, these people don't know I wanted their relationship to end. I don't know the details of why they ended. I am just happy that they're no longer in a relationship. Is it bad that I want relationships to end? Or if you're single, can you understand why I would be bothered by couples?

Of course its bad that you want relationships to end. I can understand where you're coming from though. You're sad and you want others to feel the same way you do. You're human. However, I suggest you try and be happy for those in relationships and one day you will find someone. Jealousy is just going to eat you up inside if you don't change.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
It doesn't give me hope. It makes me think "Everyone else can get a relationship. What's wrong with me?"

I've only had 1 relationship and it was in 5th grade. I am 19 now. Any hope I used to have is gone now. If anyone wanted to be in a relationship with me, don't you think I would have had another relationship by now?

Try to put yourself in my shoes.
You're only 19. You are soooooooo young. I bet you will find someone when you aren't looking.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
You miss the "massive player, body abuser and party animal"? And you're upset because he is "all commitment, health and exercise", declaring him an "old man", when, really, he's matured. There's something very, very wrong with that line of thinking. But at least you know you have company, with the OP.

Someday, when you grow up, you'll know how your "friend" feels, when you show disgust at how you acted.

I'm sure he'd love to know you have his best interests at heart, too. Like any good "friend" would.
Ah quiet dude. I was just being honest, there's no need to chastise me. I already look back and feel disgust at the way I acted when I was younger, but he has taken it to the extreme with all his incredible hypocrisy. How dare he judge others when he was the same, if not worse, than them? He should be sympathising and helping them if anything.

I don't expect him to be partying until 6 in the morning but he won't even go out for one social drink with anyone anymore. What exactly is "maturing" by the way? I wasn't aware stopping having fun meant you had matured.

I was just saying I wanted him to ease up a little and not let her influence him SO much.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What exactly is "maturing" by the way? I wasn't aware stopping having fun meant you had matured.
Where in my post did I say this? Seems to be your definition, not mine, because I never even implied this.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
You miss the "massive player, body abuser and party animal"? And you're upset because he is "all commitment, health and exercise", declaring him an "old man", when, really, he's matured.
Please explain this to me then.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Please explain this to me then.
I'm not sure what part has you so confused.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Nevermind. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships