Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times

Advertisements

Your Aunt needs to get herself good and stinking drunk, so that next time when your uncle gets home they'll have something in common.
I'm a strong and steadfast believer in the old adage: "If you can't beat em', join em'". Your uncle may be the one who wears the pants in
the family but usually, it's the one who wears the panties who has the power of control. It's all just a matter of your uncle's need to consider
and to re-establish his obviously skewed priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why not? My brother is a cop and takes women to jail all the time for domestic assult. So do the other cops I know. If the police are called to a domestic, SOMEONE WILL go to jail. They will listen to both sides, determine who looks assulted, talk to any witnesses and look at past history because there usually is one in domestic calls. The husband will not be taken regardless, if there was no assuslt whoever reported the assult will be taken for a false report
Hhhmph interesting. I have a friend in the USA who's wife accused him falsely for domestic violence. Police came over, took him, and questioned him later. I thought that was the most unjust thing. Have seen some COPS episodes where that same thing happens. Woman calls crying and then police arrives, tackles the guy to the ground, and than take him away. You have the guy going "What is going on here?!" Sure, there are those men/women will act all innocent when they did something wrong too. It's nice to hear it has not happened like that where you live.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure if police would really take a man's word for that and end up taking a woman to jail for being violent towards a man, in this case, the husband.
If I have a red mark on my face and he is bleeding from a head wound, I think the police will have more to go on than his word.

Quote:
But like others have said, there's no excuse for being violent, just call police if the husband misbehaves. He will be taken to jail regardless of hitting you or not.
Not necessarily. If he didn't hit me, why would he be taken to jail? I guess it depends on what you mean by "misbehaves."

Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Hhhmph interesting. I have a friend in the USA who's wife accused him falsely for domestic violence. Police came over, took him, and questioned him later. I thought that was the most unjust thing. Have seen some COPS episodes where that same thing happens. Woman calls crying and then police arrives, tackles the guy to the ground, and than take him away. You have the guy going "What is going on here?!" Sure, there are those men/women will act all innocent when they did something wrong too. It's nice to hear it has not happened like that where you live.

There are always exceptions and there are always not so fair cops. The standard is the police are/have been so overwhelmed with domestic calls (and it is often the same couples) that they have to take someone to jail to discourage repete calls. This is when the cops acutally come to the scene. Getting a warrent written after the fact is a totally different story. All you have to do is have a good sob story and a sympathic ear.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
That is sick and so not funny...........
yea when does a woman deserve to be slapped?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are always exceptions and there are always not so fair cops. The standard is the police are/have been so overwhelmed with domestic calls (and it is often the same couples) that they have to take someone to jail to discourage repete calls. This is when the cops acutally come to the scene. Getting a warrent written after the fact is a totally different story. All you have to do is have a good sob story and a sympathic ear.
a lot of couples get back together so I guess the cops are tired of that too

Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
a lot of couples get back together so I guess the cops are tired of that too
Yes. Sometimes the very next day.
I remember years back one particular couple that would fight like cats and dogs. Just about every weekend, he would get his check they would get drunk and he would slap her around al little. She would always call the cops and when they started to arrest her husband she would physically attack the cops and call them names and cry and carry on. This went on until they died (they were and older couple). This is a reason the cops adopted the policy of taking one or the other or both to jail if they are called on a domestic.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
yea when does a woman deserve to be slapped?
Ha. I know one id like to slap.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM

71 posts, read 164,294 times
I'd be long gone..............

Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the advice in this situation belongs to people that know both of them and have all of the facts.

I guess I'm skeptical because if he is an abusive drunk then there really isn't a lot of need to ask for advice is there?

So, this leaves me thinking this is either the righteous indignation thread of the week or we aren't hearing the whole story. (I think the use of the phrase "gently reminded" is what is making my BS detector tingle as to if we are getting a 3rd hand account from just one party.)
I don't care if she screamed at him like a "fishwife" (whatever that term means). He hit her. END

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Eh, I'll be in the minority here. I would leave, or make him leave, but I'm not sure about the cops. It depends on the circumstances, I guess. And although vengeance talk is thrilling and fun, I don't think bashing a guy's skull with a frying pan or breaking his bones with a bat is an appropriate response to a slap in the face, nor do I think the cops would think so either. If a wife slapped her husband, would it be appropriate for him to break her arm in retaliation, or attack her in her sleep? Of course not. I don't think maiming a guy or possibly killing him with blunt force trauma is okay in this instance. I'm all for self-defense but not Pyrrhic victories--I wouldn't want my kids to be left with him while I sat in jail for major assault.
I can't rep you, JJ, but I do agree with you EXCEPT for the involvement of the police. I didn't have proof that my ex gave me a black eye - he claimed it was someone else (during the divorce proceedings). So reporting it is a good plan.

But I'm very much in agreement with you on the violent reactions - an eye for an eye; violence begets violence - where does it end? Sometimes passiveness is a positive. A slap is a good time. Now if he came at me with a possibly deadly weapon or the slaps were punches, etc. I would probably engage in self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships