U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
 
4,379 posts, read 4,261,576 times
Reputation: 1612

Advertisements

This is just an observation, not a negative rant.

Why is it in our society we say all these well-meaning things, yet few people actually follow them? Why do people seek to manipulate you into liking/accepting them?

Wouldn't it be better if some kind of microchip was implanted into people's brains, to make them do as they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,896,860 times
Reputation: 42368
You first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,630,741 times
Reputation: 11309
Hey, I was 7 and I stood near a tiger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,886 posts, read 34,435,319 times
Reputation: 35850
Didn't they make a Jim Carey movie about this ?

I'm not a coward and hypocrite but more of a fool and an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
27,325 posts, read 17,525,976 times
Reputation: 39711
Why are people.... "X" <insert any number of negative things here>?

When you find people are "X" (X being the negative), decide if A+B+C (being the positive) out weigh "X". Divide by convenience or benefit of friendship and keep or discard accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
15,666 posts, read 22,699,007 times
Reputation: 17382
You don't even do what you say, get the microchip and let us know how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This is just an observation, not a negative rant.

Why is it in our society we say all these well-meaning things, yet few people actually follow them? Why do people seek to manipulate you into liking/accepting them?

Wouldn't it be better if some kind of microchip was implanted into people's brains, to make them do as they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
 
Location: ATL with a side of Chicago
3,622 posts, read 4,911,199 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This is just an observation, not a negative rant.

Why is it in our society we say all these well-meaning things, yet few people actually follow them? Why do people seek to manipulate you into liking/accepting them?

Wouldn't it be better if some kind of microchip was implanted into people's brains, to make them do as they say?
Because that's not manipulative at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
 
3,622 posts, read 4,686,885 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This is just an observation, not a negative rant.

Why is it in our society we say all these well-meaning things, yet few people actually follow them? Why do people seek to manipulate you into liking/accepting them?

Wouldn't it be better if some kind of microchip was implanted into people's brains, to make them do as they say?
1)Because we can. However, if we were one of the unfortunate to be born in a society where we had no free will to choose I bet you one million dollars we would try to rebel. For some reason we have the most motivation and best intentions when something challenges our independence.

2) I think people manipulate because it appeals to our ego and it just plain works most of the time. Most of us have a deep need to be liked and some people are willing to do whatever it takes to meet that need.

3) Initially it might be better to enforce our plans on us. However, I don't think it will be successful because human beings have an amazing ability to adapt their behavior to a situation. I bet even with a chip implanted we would find a way to beat the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,648,455 times
Reputation: 9448
I think people are less than honest because it suits their purpose and is the easy way out. It's much harder to do the right thing and be forthright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM
 
4,379 posts, read 4,261,576 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
1)Because we can. However, if we were one of the unfortunate to be born in a society where we had no free will to choose I bet you one million dollars we would try to rebel. For some reason we have the most motivation and best intentions when something challenges our independence.

Says you alone.
Quote:
2) I think people manipulate because it appeals to our ego and it just plain works most of the time. Most of us have a deep need to be liked and some people are willing to do whatever it takes to meet that need.
So "most people" are insecure then? Nobody needs, or frankly should have, others' approval.
Quote:
3) Initially it might be better to enforce our plans on us. However, I don't think it will be successful because human beings have an amazing ability to adapt their behavior to a situation. I bet even with a chip implanted we would find a way to beat the system.
Says you alone again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top