Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times

Advertisements

Because a mature loving man who loves his wife and can think beyond themselves and does not want to embarrass her. Also we are LIVING IN A SOCIETY HERE!

Moving is in the top 10 life stresses. No matter what the reason is, its stressful. I would think if you had to live with someone as a grown adult with a child, you are probably having a lot of side problems that cause that.

Sometimes the truth is bitter. But the only thing toxic is the attitude of only focusing on what ONE person needs or wants over 3.

If you have something to say you can be direct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Someone is going through hard times and you are the one complaining you had to (DEAR GOD) Help someone other than yourself?

People are so self centered. You know..that selfish thing you hate in them on dropping the ball. You have a touch of it too. I think it would be rather embarrassing to be the mom and daughter in that situation. Especially with flaked out loser dad. I know its annoying to have a crowed house, but for the love of mike stop being so selfish. You may be the one that needs 6 weeks of annoying help someday. I would be embarrassed if I was your wife too. Not helping because you don't feel like it makes you look like a you know what.
Yes maybe he should have wiped her butt as well.

A couple days is one thing, six weeks?

I think he went above and beyond the call of duty.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I found that it's the things you do for your wife that count in the end. My wife is gone now and I remember those days of being asked to do similar things for her friends, I wish she was here now to ask me again.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Its not like he did anything but exist in the same house! JC

Sometimes you need a man to lift things that are large when moving. Guess the op would rather see his wife throw out her back than lift a finger.

Now if he was cooking, cleaning and really full on hosting all himself that attitude is just to pop off a gripe BUT also he should of helped lift things or even OFFERED to do the heavy things only. But boo hoo I had to share space? Thats just silly.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
Quote:
Someone is going through hard times and you are the one complaining you had to (DEAR GOD) Help someone other than yourself?

People are so self centered. You know..that selfish thing you hate in them on dropping the ball. You have a touch of it too. I think it would be rather embarrassing to be the mom and daughter in that situation. Especially with flaked out loser dad. I know its annoying to have a crowed house, but for the love of mike stop being so selfish. You may be the one that needs 6 weeks of annoying help someday. I would be embarrassed if I was your wife too. Not helping because you don't feel like it makes you look like a you know what.
Yup.

So, other than the occasional having to drive the daughter places, how else were you, OP, put out by the houseguests? Were they slobs, did they eat all your food, barge in on you and the wife in your bedroom, track mud into the house, what? I wouldn't particularly like it if a friend of mine needed a place to stay for six weeks but as long as they respected my boundaries I would be more than happy to help out someone in need.

It sounds like you were a good host for the time they were there, why not end it on a good note?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I still recommend if you can afford it to find some young college guys and pay them $50 bucks each to give her a hand moving.

That way you're still the good guy and don't have to kill yourself out in the heat.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I found that it's the things you do for your wife that count in the end. My wife is gone now and I remember those days of being asked to do similar things for her friends, I wish she was here now to ask me again.

Priceless.

Sorry for your loss, maybe our OP can learn something from you.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
My wife and I read your post. She agrees you did more than enough and that it is your wife that is making a very unreasonable request. Sounds like she values her girlfriend more than you. You have to decide whether its better to pizz off your wife just to make a stand or give in and be a good little boy. Its your wife and you know her best.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You were a good man for allowing her to stay 6 weeks.

When my son was in college he would call me every August wanting good old dad to help him move for the next school year. Now TX in August can be 103 degrees and he always moved from a 2nd floor apartment to another 2nd or 3rd floor apartment.

After the 3rd time I told that was it. I would pay some illegal alien guy $100 next time he moved before I did it again. If you can afford to kick in a little money to hire Manuel Labor it might be the best investment to get her out of your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I still recommend if you can afford it to find some young college guys and pay them $50 bucks each to give her a hand moving.

That way you're still the good guy and don't have to kill yourself out in the heat.
Yeah, I don't get the moving thing. When you're young and you don't have much, it's not really a big deal. But after you've got a real "home," it starts to be a real drag. The last time we moved, we paid someone. It was only $200 for the professionals to do it (same area). Worth every penny.

We helped someone move one time, someone we weren't really close to, she was distantly "related" to us by marriage. A few weeks later, she realized she didn't particularly like some of her neighbors, so we were asked once again to help her move. Well, we offered to chip in for the moving truck, but we didn't want to physically move her again. She wouldn't accept the money, but she would accept a full day of hard labor on our part. I'd much rather pay the money!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Finally rid of my houseguest!!!

Quote:
Because a mature loving man who loves his wife and can think beyond themselves and does not want to embarrass her. Also we are LIVING IN A SOCIETY HERE!

Moving is in the top 10 life stresses. No matter what the reason is, its stressful. I would think if you had to live with someone as a grown adult with a child, you are probably having a lot of side problems that cause that.

Sometimes the truth is bitter. But the only thing toxic is the attitude of only focusing on what ONE person needs or wants over 3.

If you have something to say you can be direct.
I can see his point, that is all I'm saying. He was a decent host for six weeks, sometimes enough is enough. I would do almost anything for my wife, but, my wife would never, ever make plans for me to do something for one of her friends without asking first. If she did, I wouldn't be happy. My wife would never invite one of her friends to move into our house with out some serious talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships