Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
LOL.

I absolutely abhor freeloaders. Be like these 3 girls,and you will not be my friend.
You should have seen the look on their faces and how they were looking at each other like "Well? Umh...what should we do now?". They were totally expecting us to pay. You know certain so called rules .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
You should have seen the look on their faces and how they were looking at each other like "Well? Umh...what should we do now?". They were totally expecting us to pay. You know certain so called rules .
How old were they?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
How old were they?
Mid-upper 20s.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Mid-upper 20s.
Pathetic. if it was high school kids, I'd be more understanding; but there are married women with kids and full-time careers in their mid-late 20s.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
OK, I have a "freeloading" pet peeve. One that's been bugging me for some time. I may step on a few toes here, but I'm feeling brave (or is that cranky?) today.

I'm tired of "friends" asking me to subsidize their vacations and sneakily disguising it as performing a good and charitable act.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

The letter, or more recently, email, usually starts off with a oh-so-personal "Dear Friend" greeting.

The form letter then goes on to detail the extreme need for funding for cancer cures, diabetes research, schools for children in Africa and/ or yaks for families in Tibet.

"If only you will consider making a contibution so that I can __________(insert person's favorite pastime or sport here) in ___________(insert exotic locale here) this coming August so that together we can make a difference!"

Now, I have no doubt that all of these are good and worthwhile causes. However, I prefer to make my charitable contributions using my own good judgement and writing out the check and handing it over in person.

So, "Dear Friend" while I am quite sure that your bicycle ride with Lance, marathon in Hawaii, and/or hike through the Grand Canyon will be personally gratifying and meaningful for you, please just pay your own darn way and let me know when the photos are posted on Facebook.

~whew I feel so much better now!~

Last edited by plaidmom; 08-17-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
OK, I have a "freeloading" pet peeve. One that's been bugging me for some time. I may step on a few toes here, but I'm feeling brave (or is that cranky?) today.

I'm tired of "friends" asking me to subsidize their vacations and sneakily disguising it as performing a good and charitable act.
I got another story...

John is married w/ 3 kids and he and his wife both make good money.

Several years ago, when John had only 2 children, he went on a family vacation to a Caribbean-area resort. Along with John, the wife, and 2 kids went Kubyx, Kubyx's wife, and Kubyx's 2 kids (Kubyx has more children now).

Kubyx is a single earner; his wife stays home.

At that time, Kubyx couldn't afford the entire price tag for the vacation, so John helped him out... about 1,000 dollars. Not a colossal amount of money, but not chump change either.

It took John 4 months to receive the money. Now, it's just me, but I wouldn't even have gone if I was going to owe anybody that kind of money. And while John has enough assets to the extent 1K won't kill him over 4 months, I would NEVER do what Kubyx did.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I have a so called friend who has some relatives that live about 3 hours away. They dont pay rent & utilities & they live with some generous lady most of the time in her house. They go to my friends house every weekend & stay anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. They sometimes buy food but its mostly for them.

My friend needs to grow a pair cause what they do is call him when they are in the area & ask to come over & he says sure. He says its family & i wont say no (he rarely says no to them).
They are on welfare & food stamps & dont work at all. Next week one of his relatives is bringing her bf & her bfs sister with her. They run the ac, eat & watch tv all day. These people are classic freeloaders.

It would NEVER happen at my home relatives or not. We have a pool & pool table here & they once hinted to my friend about visiting me & using them. I told my friend "NO WAY"!. SO....any freeloader stories ?

I knew this one guy who used to work with me..He was asking everyone if his sister can live with us..only for 2 weeks he claimed...she never worked before so we were all wondering if she can afford a place on her own now, then how is she going to find a place in 2 weeks...We didnt know his sister..and just barely met him a few weeks ago..It turned out his sisters lover kicked her out of the house...some kind of domestic fight..
We expected us to feed. shower, entertain, clothes, his sister because she was too lazy to get a job...We all said no..and we gave him numbers to resources to help her, and then we asked him why cant she live with you? his answer was my roommates wont let me...what a crock of ****..
Last I heard she moved in with a woman who had 4 kids..into a one bedroom....wonder how that turned out..

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Pathetic. if it was high school kids, I'd be more understanding; but there are married women with kids and full-time careers in their mid-late 20s.
Lots of western women can have degrees, be executives, etc. And they will still expect men to buy them their drinks, dinners, etc. All under the name of chivalry, a real man's job, a man's test, etc. Related threads come up all the time and you'll see what women have to say about those things . The interesting thing is that somehow the younger generation doesn't seem to enforce such way of thinking as much as the older generations. I think that is great. Such mentality and gender-labelled actions should just go. Don't understand why generosity, honor, respect, chivalry, romance, etc. has to be gender-labelled.

Aaanyways, here's another one...there was this time in the office where I was leaving for lunch break and on my way out a coworker asked me to bring her this and that. Sure, no problem. It was quite a long list that included dessert. I came back with everything she ordered. I gave her the receipt and I guess she was not expecting that either. She saw me with a confused look "Uuuumh...ok" and then went to her purse to pay for her food. I don't even have that close of a relationship with her as other coworkers. I guess I didn't comply with society rules.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Last I heard she moved in with a woman who had 4 kids..into a one bedroom....wonder how that turned out..
That's funny. The woman who took her in must have been desperate for a babysitter.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,194 times
Quote:
Went to a restaurant with 3 girls and another guy. Food was good, conversation was interesting, etc. When it was time to pay, all of a sudden, the 3 girls felt an urge to go to the ladies room or something. No problem, we were not in a rush so I waited for them to come back to do the math while my friend and I were relaxing. They came back to the table probably thinking that everything was already paid telling us "Ok, let's go " but I told them nicely "Sure, umh, you guys want to order anything else, maybe a dessert or coffee?" they said they were fine and ready to go so I took out my part, my friend took out his part, and then gave it to them so they could also do their math and put their part. They were not expecting it.
Ahahahaa thats so great!! And girls complain about 'not being treated equally' and they still pull this garbage.. please.

Quote:
yeah, good for you guys! I hate it when other people pay for me.. and even my husband and I split everything 50/50 in our first year of dating.. (after that, we started our business and everything literally became 'ours' anyway..)

Quote:
Mid-upper 20s.
yeah.. totally old enough to take care of themselves.. stupid bishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships