Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,306,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This afternoon, I was at the Bass Pro Shop buying some hooks and bait and the cashier was a pretty little thing. Very nice girl and I thought about asking for her number but she could be way too young. Also, I figured she probably gets hit on a lot by all the rednecks that go through that store

I guess, I am used to meeting people through online dating and I much prefer to meet people in real life but what if I asked for her number and she was 18? At least online, you can search people by age. Do you prefer to meet people online, real life or a combination of both?
I prefer meeting people in real life. I'm old fashioned like that. I like seeing a person, getting a feel of the vibe and just communi-fi-cating our views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You write crap like this, and your rep to post ratio is higher than mine??? This is high comedy at its best.

It's higher then yours because I don't make threads about people's sexual prowess being determined by whether they smoke or not.

Also people agree with me on here sometimes, if they're not agreeing with you, oh well. not my problem!

Yea it's high comedy all right. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,695,560 times
Quote:
Real life is preferable. Without a doubt. Common interest or a situation where you are yourself and "at your best" is the most productive.

On-line dating has worked for some. My Mom knows a couple who met this way. They were both divorced with kids, with both sets of divorces not amicable. He looks like Sam Elliott and she looks like Lindsay Wagner (both age progressed from their peaks), so they're doing fine ... a matched set.

On-line dating is generally not a surprise. If there's a picture there, some bio stuff, and you talk on the phone, then there's not much mystery. The "wild card" is if the person's IRL vibe works for you. I went ahead with a few dates where everything was pretty much on target, but the conversation indicated their "jockette" factor was higher than what I like, and within a short time, I knew I was sitting there wasting my time ... and theirs.
JOCKETTE? She was too athletic? Too sporty? Not girly enough? She had a stash?
Facial hair? Manly feet? No boobs?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
JOCKETTE? She was too athletic? Too sporty? Not girly enough? She had a stash? Facial hair? Manly feet? No boobs?
It's one of those intangibles that can be felt more so than described, just like "je ne sais quoi." Got it? Every time I touch this word, somebody, or several, on here go NUTS.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's higher then yours because I don't make threads about people's sexual prowess being determined by whether they smoke or not.
Maybe it's because of reading Ascension's posts and/or trying to be creative.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,699,869 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because of reading Ascension's posts and/or trying to be creative.

who you or me? LOL. Ascension used to have halfway 'nice' posts until he show his true colors recently in his posts.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,695,560 times
Quote:
It's one of those intangibles that can be felt more so than described, just like "je ne sais quoi." Got it? Every time I touch this word, somebody, or several, on here go NUTS.
So its a vibe.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM

102,063 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
what if I asked for her number and she was 18?
So, talk to her, that's what conversation is for. Ask her if she's a college student. How she answers will give you an idea of her age. If she's a college student, ask her what her favorite classes are, or what her chosen field is. While you're talking, you're getting to know her personality, finding out if she has a brain or if she's an airhead, or if she has Jerry Springer mouth (it happens), you're picking up on all kinds of info. You might end up deciding you're not interested, depending on how she responds. Just because she's cute doesn't mean you two would get along. IRL is a lot more WYSIWYG than online. Online people can be faking who they are.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM

11,756 posts, read 11,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, talk to her, that's what conversation is for. Ask her if she's a college student. How she answers will give you an idea of her age. If she's a college student, ask her what her favorite classes are, or what her chosen field is. While you're talking, you're getting to know her personality, finding out if she has a brain or if she's an airhead, or if she has Jerry Springer mouth (it happens), you're picking up on all kinds of info. You might end up deciding you're not interested, depending on how she responds. Just because she's cute doesn't mean you two would get along. IRL is a lot more WYSIWYG than online. Online people can be faking who they are.
^^^ Verbal and non-verbal cues play a big part IRL. And as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there's such a thing as too much screening online, and elminating of people who may not be photogenic, or don't have the "right" hobby listed. I've mentioned in other threads that if SO and I were both online, he would have bypassed my profile because it would have listed camping as a hobby. He hates camping, whereas I enjoy it, but if I never did it again, it wouldn't matter.

Meeting him in person, in a group social setting, there was an instant vibe, an undercurrent, in our interactions that you can't get from a photo and bio. Kudos to anyone who can do online dating successfully but it's not for me and I'm glad I didn't have to try it.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I prefer to meet them on C-D. LOL

Seriously, though, online dating (actual dating websites) is not my favorite. I have done it before, but with no real success. I don't think I will try it again. I'm not someone who likes to date multiple people at the same time, so I really don't need to search a bunch of profiles and talk to numerous people.

I'd rather just meet one person I'm interested in and who's interested in me and get to know them. I hate dating!
I agree with you, I have done online dating a lot and have nothing to show for it. Though I go out in public and meet so many, and made a lot of friends, though have not met anyone yet for a relationship. Though in time in can happen. I just just do what I enjoy and meet so many doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships