Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I just don't understand the male attraction for watching women fight
Jerry: Did you tell Peterman about this?

Elaine: Well, I tried, but he thought it was some sort of cat fight.

Kramer: Cat fight?

Elaine: Ok, why? Why do guys do this? What is so appealing to men about a cat fight?

Kramer: Yeye cat fight!

Jerry: Because men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow kiss.

Kramer: T-t-t-t...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Of course the guy doesn't care because everyone's opinion will be directed towards the woman. "What a messy house SHE keeps." Doesn't matter that they're both out all day working. When it comes to how the house is kept, people will assume the worst about the woman.
Those aren't the kind of people I would have over or be friends with. I would think they were petty and should get a life. Unless the place is hoarder central, who cares.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I think "Feminist" is one of those and I say that as a man who has repeatedly declared himself an adamant Women's Libber and a vehement anti-Feminist.
I hate to break it to you, but "Women's Lib" is a kind of feminism. It's an outdated term for what's now called Second Wave Feminism--the equality-based feminism (as opposed to the legal feminism) of the 60s and 70s. It's just a different name for the same thing.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-18-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I just don't understand the male attraction for watching women fight
I always thought it was the chance that some article of clothing might be ripped off?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I hate to break it to you, but "Women's Lib" is a kind of feminism. It's an outdated term for what's now called Second Wave Feminism--the equality-based feminism (as opposed to the legal feminism) of the 60s and 70s.

I hate to break it to YOU, but a blood-crazed lion driven mad with rabies and a housecat who enjoys yarn are also part of the same family. I just know which one I prefer.

The whole reason I'm PRO-Women's Lib is because (per your own differentiation) it's the equality-based feminism rather than the legal feminism.

Your turn...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, must be too hot in this kitchen - no man dares poke his nose!
Nah, not too hot. My stance has always been, whoever stays home does a majority of the household chores. That doesn't mean they become slaves to their partner, but if a man is out working full time to provide for the family, and the wife is home "taking care of the family", then it's reasonable to expect her to perform those "wife" things. That doesn't mean the husband should just toss his dirty drawers on the floor for her to pick up or nudge her awake at O-dark thirty to make him breakfast.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Those aren't the kind of people I would have over or be friends with. I would think they were petty and should get a life. Unless the place is hoarder central, who cares.
Not me. If I'm coming over to your place, its to see you, not to see your house.

Now I keep my place clean, not 100% spotless but pretty clean. I certainly won't leave any bills or bank statements out but you'd be likely to find an ad I got in the mail or a magazine lying around.

I'm not one of those "AHHHHHHH!!!! YOU LEFT A DISH IN THE SINK!!!! THE WORLD WILL COME TO AN END BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!!!" exit, stage left, heart attack.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Nah, not too hot. My stance has always been, whoever stays home does a majority of the household chores. That doesn't mean they become slaves to their partner, but if a man is out working full time to provide for the family, and the wife is home "taking care of the family", then it's reasonable to expect her to perform those "wife" things. That doesn't mean the husband should just toss his dirty drawers on the floor for her to pick up or nudge her awake at O-dark thirty to make him breakfast.
What??? You are daring.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
That's what I think. I am flabberghasted that there could even be a discussion in this thread. It seems like that whoever stays home, to take care of the home, take care of the home.

I'll just be an a hole and assume I'm the one working; that doesn't mean that I get to be a jerk when I get home. I can still help around the house here and their, but I would sure be pleased to come home and see "wifely" things done.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
What??? You are daring.
Yep, the same way there are "husband" things that are typically expected of a man...checking out that sound that went bump in the night, mow the grass, fix the leaky fawcett, change the oil on the car, etc. I'm not sure gender roles will ever go away entirely. But I don't believe that it's beyond reason to expect a husband to know how to wash his own clothes or cook his own meals, just like it's not unreasonable for your wife to kill that spider or paint the bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships