Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Yea, I see what you mean.
I'm not talking about fairly regular well-off people who have made it on the basis of their intellect, effort, and talents; I was talking about true wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm not talking about fairly regular well-off people who have made it on the basis of their intellect, effort, and talents; I was talking about true wealth.
Yes, I know. I have known people that are greedy from all walks of life. Someone who steals just because they believe they are entititled is greedy, someone who steps on others to get ahead is greedy...and these are from completely different incomes. I have also known poor, middle, upper middle, and very wealthy people who would help anyone anytime day or night. So, I believe that saying all wealthy people are only out for themselves is another generalization that is not true. There are people only out for themselves from all income levels.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Much of the truly wealthy are 3rd generation rich where grandpa built an empire (IE Paris Hilton) People who've not earned their money are many times drug addicted, useless and do not appreciate what they have.

If you go back to the roots of the wealth, usually the grandparents are the ones who pulled them self off the streets by hard work and were many times very generous people.

To build that type of money requires taking care of good people and treating them well.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Much of the truly wealthy are 3rd generation rich where grandpa built an empire (IE Paris Hilton) People who've not earned their money are many times drug addicted, useless and do not appreciate what they have.

If you go back to the roots of the wealth, usually the grandparents are the ones who pulled them self off the streets by hard work and were many times very generous people.

To build that type of money requires taking care of good people and treating them well.
Agreed. I've never known a person who built long-term wealth for his family by taking ethical short cuts. Those who do are the proverbial flash in the pan.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's not so much about insecurities Misswee. It's well-known how women normally rather be with a guy who is at a higher level or at least same level. So have your average Joe arrive to the scene and find out she comes from a wealthy family or has a lot of money and what do you think crosses his mind? Same reason it is not common at all to see Mrs.Executive dating the all around nice guy waiter from the coffee shop across the street. Women simply don't put their eyes on men that are "lower level". Sure sure sure, we can say we heard about a woman who did, ok, exceptions are out there but its just that, exceptions.

While lots of men might feel uncomfortable with that, women, in the other hand, might feel they hit the jackpot.

yeah, but what about those of us who just fluked out and got a good job, but are still just nerdy card playing, board game playing regular people, underneath who don't want to hang out with a bunch of snobbies??? Just some fellow goofballs?

Should we lie and say we work at Wal-Mart?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
OP, you can't possibly know for sure that this woman is successful. Success is not just the amount of money a person makes. It also has to do with whether or not a person enjoyes doing what she is doing. For example, someone who makes 300K a year but is miserable at their job, never see their friends or family, is not a successful individual in my opinion.

Another thing is, yes it's attractive to see someone who makes a lot more money than you, but it may become a liability at some point. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it may. Especially if the person who is making more than you is a woman.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Ouch! But yeah. Whenever I ran into some "successful" gent, I always took a step back and learned how he came upon that success. All too often, it comes from stepping on people, exploiting others, or some other way of being self-centered or greedy. Yeah, I'm an atheist, but Dorothy Parker said it well: "If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to."

YouTube - Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
This is an excellent point. Success doesn't always = wisdom, intelligence. Sometimes it has to do with how many people she/he banged to get to the top.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're wasting your time. People have a natural tendency to denigrate what they don't have.
You can't possibly know for sure what people on this thread have or don't have. For what I know, Avienne can be hiding millions in her bank.

And honestly, ironically, some of my previous "bosses" were the biggest morons I've ever met who got to be my supervisors only because "they knew someone who knows someone who knows someone".
Don't you know by now, it's not what you know, it's who you know?

I don't want to generalize, but success is relative and a group of successful moneymakers is broad. Some are very intelligent, driven, goal-oriented, and some are not.
And what about that poor artistic soul? The one who can't possibly be making a lot of money by doing what he loves? Is he a loser who deserves to be in a cubicle?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You can't possibly know for sure what people on this thread have or don't have. For what I know, Avienne can be hiding millions in her bank.

And honestly, ironically, some of my previous "bosses" were the biggest morons I've ever met who got to be my supervisors only because "they knew someone who knows someone who knows someone".
Don't you know by now, it's not what you know, it's who you know?

I don't want to generalize, but success is relative and a group of successful moneymakers is broad. Some are very intelligent, driven, goal-oriented, and some are not.
And what about that poor artistic soul? The one who can't possibly be making a lot of money by doing what he loves? Is he a loser who deserves to be in a cubicle?
Well, my response was to the bizarre generalization that people who have become financially successful are that way because they can't possibly have earned it through hard work and diligence. That kind of mentality smacks of sour grapes and is really unflattering to the person who thinks it. Hence my remark that you've quoted.

And as to your bosses, I would say this. Over the long haul, the people who get to those positions by dumb luck or just connections never last. Yeah, they're given a shot...but when times get tough, those are the ones that get swept aside like so many cobwebs. Their success is ephemeral.

Unless, of course, you're talking about government workers. I'm amazed, in my dealings with government, how some of these people have lasted in positions of power and responsibility. That would be my exception.

Let me put it to you in the form of a hypothetical question. Let's say two men are interested in you. Both are equally attractive. Both have good hearts, great senses of humor, give of themselves to others, are honest, etc. etc. One is unambitious in life, while the other one is a self-starter who has financial security. All other things being equal, who gets the nod?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswee View Post
yeah, but what about those of us who just fluked out and got a good job, but are still just nerdy card playing, board game playing regular people, underneath who don't want to hang out with a bunch of snobbies??? Just some fellow goofballs?

Should we lie and say we work at Wal-Mart?
No need to claim Wally World as your employer. There are plenty of card playing, board game regular people about. Most of them could care less what you make unless they land on Park Place while visiting you. You just need to go fish. I am sure their Hearts will accept the Queen of Spades even with all her good points. Without taking Risk how will you conquer the world?

Oh well, Queen takes Pawn and leaves Knight. Such is the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships