Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
She was very pretty, but in an overly-made-up way. I suspect it took her an hour just to put her face on every day. And she didn't seem to be suffering from low self-esteem. In my opinion, her self-esteem was much higher than it should have been!
she had all the class and sophistication of Adriana on "The Sopranos". Youse guys know what I mean? Fuhgedaboutit!
Many times, superiority complexes cover up inferiority complexes. It was be interesting to get her "transcript" (from a shrink, if she were to go to one). A cool expression I use with some friends..."I'd like that person's transcript."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
There's a difference between a gold digger and someone who is looking out for their future by not dating dead beats.
I see your point. That would be described as "discerning." And usually someone discerning also brings something to the table. And it's not just big hair, fake boobs. a gym-toned body and tennis bracelets.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 AM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes, it's disgusting!

But I think today's gold diggers aren't quite the same as yesterdays. It used to be women who wanted the finer things in life and expected a man to provide them. Now, I think a lot of women want to be sure they are with a man who is willing to pay his own way. There are too many men out there looking for a sugar momma!
That was exactly the point I was going to make. I would never discuss money like that but it is something I look for and Im not a gold digger. I get a VERY nice paycheck and I can pay for myself whether its dinner or a flight to Brazil, but I want a man who can do the things I love and I not have to pay for him all the time. I dont mind paying every once in a while but I need a man who can handle his own. I like to take trips all over the world and you need money to do that, i want someone who can afford to go with me

Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
This was on craigslist last year:

What am I doing wrong? Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all. Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level? Here are my questions specifically: - Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms -What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings -Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)? - Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there? - Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out? - How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

The Response: I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it. Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful! So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you! So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage. Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation. With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump." I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
This was on craigslist last year:

What am I doing wrong? Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all. Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level? Here are my questions specifically: - Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms -What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings -Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)? - Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there? - Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out? - How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

The Response: I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it. Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful! So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you! So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage. Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation. With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump." I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.
Sheesh, sounds a tad narcississtic....

I've know of a woman, and no one knows how many times she was married, but she married rich men, and then took them for everything she could get, and never worked a day in her life?????

I couldn't live with myself, or sleep at night...what some people will do for money is beyond me? So is the money...LOL

I don't care...came in with nothin, going out with nothin....butcha know...I can lay my head on the pillow at night and get a real good nights sleep...
thanks so that little butterfly....LOL, just kidding....

Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Does Eliot Spitzer's girlfriend count as a gold digger?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Here in Alaska...I'm sure there are a few women that dig for gold. It's in darn near every stream we have. So I'm sure there are a few women that dig for gold.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 PM

170 posts, read 893,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Does Eliot Spitzer's girlfriend count as a gold digger?
She counts neither a girlfriend nor a gold digger. She was a business transaction. So in her case she was the commodity. Her madam or whatever would have been the business manager.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
My ex wife was a gold digger. Husband #1 was arranged marriage as he and his family owned several hotels and popular nightclubs in Bangkok, she took as much money from him as possible, then divorced him. Husband #2 was an American Doctor, she took his money to pay off her brothers and sisters education and paid off her mothers huge 2 story Bangkok home then divorced him. I aint saying she's a gold digga, but aint messin' with no broke.........

All women are gold diggers to some degree. They want a guy who can "provide" for them. Guys, we're different. We can see a totally smoking hot girl working the drive through at McDonalds and would flirt with her and take her out on a date. Women can see a guy who looks just like Brad Pitt or George Clooney working the drive through and wouldnt dare even meet eyes with him. Women are such materialistic creatures, we guys are much more open and accepting. *smile*

Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I work with women. I employ women. I sit at the lunch table with women. And I find it easy to talk to women.

One thing I've noticed is how they describe new boyfriends, as opposed to the way guys describe new girlfriends.

Almost invariably, when asked, the woman starts out by saying, "Well, he's a [Insert profession here]." Then they'll go down the list of where they live (house vs condo), where he took her on the first date, etc. etc. Qualities such as sense of humor and intelligence are considerably further down the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships