U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM

9,924 posts, read 8,915,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, come on. Let's be truthful here.

In your heart of hearts, you're at a party. Two guys, both of equal attractiveness, engage you in conversation. Both seems like really nice guys, well-read, with nice senses of humor. Both seem to be really into you.

One is a shipping clerk. He lives in a small efficiency apartment.

The second is a cardiac surgeon. He lives in a spacious, beautiful home in a nice part of town.

Both ask for your phone number. Both call you, and leave voice mail messages. Whose call do you return first?
Oh you got me!

Probably the shipping clerk, because a cardiac surgeon being a surgeon, would most likely have a god complex and not a lot of time for me.
You know if we're going to judge people on sweeping generalizations, that seems to be the best way to distinguish between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,836,635 times
Quote:
Well, come on. Let's be truthful here.

In your heart of hearts, you're at a party. Two guys, both of equal attractiveness, engage you in conversation. Both seems like really nice guys, well-read, with nice senses of humor. Both seem to be really into you.

One is a shipping clerk. He lives in a small efficiency apartment.

The second is a cardiac surgeon. He lives in a spacious, beautiful home in a nice part of town.

Both ask for your phone number. Both call you, and leave voice mail messages. Whose call do you return first?
Hey, if somebody can honestly say "cross my heart, hope to die" and pick less money all else being equal, more power to them! It most likely WILL save them from a lot of trouble!

Now, in your particular example, it is possible somebody had a bad experience with a surgeon/doctor and may not wanna repeat it. There's this joke: What can you take off from a naked doctor? The nurse. And yes, they may work long and/or irregular hours which can be a good reason for not wanting to deal with this particular profession, but otherwise it's like asking what percentage of men masturbate... 95-99% and the rest lie.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 10,687,827 times
Quote:
Well, that came under the "equal attractiveness" clause.
Damn technicalities!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 AM

22 posts, read 95,077 times
Interesting topic.. can I ask for some opinions on this. I know this girl and she has been married for 2 years. She met her hubby when they were both in high school, around aged 15-16 or so. You could say they were high school sweethearts (although, they didn't go to the same school because she went to a private girl's school and he went to a private boy's school). They dated for around 10 years before getting married. Now, I know that her hubby is making somewhere in the vicinity of $300K/year and she has barely worked since finishing high school (no tertiary education either). She is pretty with a nice body but I wouldn't say a knockout or model-lookalike. Would you classify her as a gold digger? (because when they first met obviously he wouldn't have had this job).

Interestingly, her sister is also married to a filthy rich guy and doesn't work. She is a stay-at-home mother with a nanny and cleaner, etc.

It seemed too coincidental and made me think that maybe it had something to do with their upbringing/genes? because her mother had a very ordinary, average upbringing and married this rich guy too...

Also on the other side, what makes a guy choose a girl like this.. where he is happy to let her sit and home and do nothing other than preening herself?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times
Mod Cut...watch your language mister! no that's how the rest of us get women. I'm a little over weight and not the most attractive man in the world. but I'm Rich $$$ and drive a Corvette Z06, and i get hot chicks all the time .this is America were the people are impressed with money & status don't like find a new place to live!

Last edited by Rance; 03-25-2008 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Use of foul language will not be tolerated here.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
How many sexist men are out there creating stupid threads?
Stuff it, ok? Just as many as there are women with an "entitlement problem" creating equally stupid threads.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosd View Post
Now, I know that her hubby is making somewhere in the vicinity of $300K/year and she has barely worked since finishing high school (no tertiary education either). She is pretty with a nice body but I wouldn't say a knockout or model-lookalike. Would you classify her as a gold digger?

Also on the other side, what makes a guy choose a girl like this.. where he is happy to let her sit and home and do nothing other than preening herself?
No, she is not a gold digger, if how you describe it is accurate. However, she might have had an inkling that he would be heading toward some big bucks. What does the husband do to bring home such cash?

As to your last comment, beats the hell out of me. I think that women who go from nail salon to lunch with the girls to this and to that, all of which are frivolous, would bore most men. But, there are plenty of men who will gladly provide for this to keep this trophy on their arm. I don't get it. I think it might be interesting to see what makes these men tick as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM

25,253 posts, read 27,370,393 times
Well, here are two different women I dated. Both HONEST TO GOD stories:

1) On the first date, one woman (who had practically tackled me at the furniture store where she worked when I was buying a bedroom suite) asked me how much I made. I told her none of her cotton-picking business. Then the date goes very well after that, so I chalked it up to an aberration.

We had a third date scheduled. I call up to tell her I'll be late picking her up that evening due to a client commitment. She tells me, "That's fine. I've made a decision about our relationship, by the way. I've decided to sleep with you. But there's other man that I'm going to date seriously, because he looks like he'll make partner at his law firm." Yes. She really said that. I just hung up the phone on her.

2) Another woman I dated a few times told me outright, "The man I marry will have to make enough money so that I can stay at home and get a manicure and a facial every week." I really thought she was joking. Turns out she wasn't.

So, before we hear a lot of pious denial from women on this subject, remember that there are plenty of women who think this way. And they're more numerous than people would probably admit.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

9,924 posts, read 8,915,388 times
Quote:
Well, here are two different women I dated. Both HONEST TO GOD stories:

1) On the first date, one woman (who had practically tackled me at the furniture store where she worked when I was buying a bedroom suite) asked me how much I made. I told her none of her cotton-picking business. Then the date goes very well after that, so I chalked it up to an aberration.

We had a third date scheduled. I call up to tell her I'll be late picking her up that evening due to a client commitment. She tells me, "That's fine. I've made a decision about our relationship, by the way. I've decided to sleep with you. But there's other man that I'm going to date seriously, because he looks like he'll make partner at his law firm." Yes. She really said that. I just hung up the phone on her.

2) Another woman I dated a few times told me outright, "The man I marry will have to make enough money so that I can stay at home and get a manicure and a facial every week." I really thought she was joking. Turns out she wasn't.

So, before we hear a lot of pious denial from women on this subject, remember that there are plenty of women who think this way. And they're more numerous than people would probably admit.
Just because some do doesn't mean that all do. I could say, based on my experience that all men or a lot of men are lying, cheating, mysoginists but I know that's not right because I see evidence of great men every day. Some of them are my friends, some of them are married to my friends and some of them are my relatives. My only advice to you is, stop worrying about who is a gold digger and who isn't, enjoy your life, meet as many people as you can and see how that goes. Probably wouldn't hurt to examine yourself and how you are presenting that these kinds of women keep finding you. It's what I have to do each and every time my magnet goes off.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM

13,779 posts, read 17,022,281 times
Maybe the bar is not the best place to find a woman. I saw a list once that listed the best places to meet people and the bar was not on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships