U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM

200 posts, read 613,054 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a very open relationship.

My philosophy is, "I can look at the menu, because I'm going home for dinner. Why waste my money on hamburger, when I have free steak at home?"

We've (husband and I) discussed this ad nauseum; I trust him completely, he trusts me completely. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but he's even brought home a phone number from another woman, and it doesn't bother me. Here's why:
1. I'm not the jealous type.
2. I trust him.
3. He wasn't the one to ask for the phone number (according to people with him when the number was acquired.) And for those of you who think his buddies are covering for him, one of those persons was my dad, who concurred the story. And I found this out because I thought it was funny, and wanted to know the story to go along with how he got the number.
4. A little bit of freedom goes a long way. He goes out, flirts, a girl gives him her number. He takes it, knowing full well that he's married and is never going to call her. He gets an ego boost from obtaining the number of an attractive woman. He comes home; I reap the benefit of the ego boost.

I think this is more of a case by case basis. Everyone is different. I think the marriages that stay together are the ones that are honest and open; flirting is a natural, normal occurrence. When you tell your significant other that you don't like for them to flirt, I think it creates the necessity for that person to hide their behavior. Hiding behavior leads to sneaky activity and distrust.

This open/honest thing is the same reason that I don't care if my husband goes to a strip club.
1. They're just b o o b s. Every woman has a set.
2. He goes for special occasions; bachelor parties, etc. Otherwise, he wouldn't just go to hang out there by himself. In his own words, "I can spend a lot less money, drink free beer, and see better b o o b s at home."

But telling him that he can't go to a strip club, flirt, or subscribe to Playboy I think is akin to telling a teenage girl she can't date a particular guy; she's just going to sneak out and go see him anyway.

Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,568,754 times
Blowing kisses is okay. Blowing jobs is forbidden.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 PM

980 posts, read 2,057,629 times
I think flirting is a harmless way of expressing ourselves....married or not. Just because you flirt does not mean you want to throw your marriage away to pursue other options. In my opinion, if you're touching, you're well beyond flirting

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,538,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
My husband and I have a very open relationship.

My philosophy is, "I can look at the menu, because I'm going home for dinner. Why waste my money on hamburger, when I have free steak at home?"

We've (husband and I) discussed this ad nauseum; I trust him completely, he trusts me completely. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but he's even brought home a phone number from another woman, and it doesn't bother me. Here's why:
1. I'm not the jealous type.
2. I trust him.
3. He wasn't the one to ask for the phone number (according to people with him when the number was acquired.) And for those of you who think his buddies are covering for him, one of those persons was my dad, who concurred the story. And I found this out because I thought it was funny, and wanted to know the story to go along with how he got the number.
4. A little bit of freedom goes a long way. He goes out, flirts, a girl gives him her number. He takes it, knowing full well that he's married and is never going to call her. He gets an ego boost from obtaining the number of an attractive woman. He comes home; I reap the benefit of the ego boost.

I think this is more of a case by case basis. Everyone is different. I think the marriages that stay together are the ones that are honest and open; flirting is a natural, normal occurrence. When you tell your significant other that you don't like for them to flirt, I think it creates the necessity for that person to hide their behavior. Hiding behavior leads to sneaky activity and distrust.

This open/honest thing is the same reason that I don't care if my husband goes to a strip club.
1. They're just b o o b s. Every woman has a set.
2. He goes for special occasions; bachelor parties, etc. Otherwise, he wouldn't just go to hang out there by himself. In his own words, "I can spend a lot less money, drink free beer, and see better b o o b s at home."

But telling him that he can't go to a strip club, flirt, or subscribe to Playboy I think is akin to telling a teenage girl she can't date a particular guy; she's just going to sneak out and go see him anyway.

Just my .02
I really think you're on to something. Being open and honest is by far the best policy. When some lady comes on to me in a bar, I don't return the compliments -- but I do tell my wife about it. This lets her know what is going on in my life when I'm away. And it makes me very thankful for my wife.

Some of my colleagues do flirt back. But they also tell their wives about it.

It all boils down to honesty.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM

3,975 posts, read 6,903,835 times
Why We Flirt - TIME

an article i saw today.

and its amazing how much married women will flirt with you.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM

238 posts, read 561,446 times
No, it's not okay to flirt while you're married.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM

5,148 posts, read 10,183,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Why We Flirt - TIME

an article i saw today.

and its amazing how much married women will flirt with you.
Interesting article, but I don't like the ending, where it all but encourages all types of flirting, including if you're married! Such flirting is never harmless, no matter how much people try to rationalize.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 PM

857 posts, read 3,235,898 times
I always try to put the shoe on the other foot. If a man flirts with me and it would be easy and fun to flirt back I ask myself "What is he going to think about my husband?" Chances are, if you are flirting you are sending a signal that you find them charming and fun. They will interpret that as YOu do not find your spouse as charming and fun as them. Frankly, I don't want to give any man a reason to surmise that I think less of my husband than I do. He is a great guy and I don't need an ego boost at his expense.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM

320 posts, read 639,996 times
not acceptable when married at all.....if you are telling a joke or something its okay to laugh at it but you do have limitations now that you would be married and that's one of them....flirting

Old 01-19-2008, 06:57 PM

49,803 posts, read 46,891,519 times
southern tradition existes of flirting.
not on the coast.
we have tradition of terrible misunderstandings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships