Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,679,159 times

Advertisements

The thing with forgiveness is, I can forgive and not have to say another word to them. I would honestly say I have nothing more to say to you. If something were to happen to me and I was terminal I hope she finds out when my obituary is printed in the paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,975,992 times
I would have no problem with it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,921,931 times
My husband has no exes, so this is more than a little hypothetical, but I would hope that he would reach out in some way--sending a card or flowers, or making the effort to see her in person if it was desired.

If I found out my ex was dying, I would probably just send a card. I haven't talked to him in many years, so it would seem a little strange to show up out of the blue (and I don't think he'd appreciate it anyway).

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,668,665 times
I'd have no probelm with it if my wife felt that was the thing she wanted to do.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,244,011 times
It's hard for me to imagine because any exes that he has that I wouldn't be able to tolerate, he already isn't able to tolerate himself, so they wouldn't go to him for anything. The ones he is on good terms with are all married, so they wouldn't go to him, either--at least, no more than they keep in touch now on his Facebook.

However, if there was one who crawled out of the woodwork, meh, it would be up to him. Has nothing to do with me. I know where his heart is.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,247,282 times
this actually happens. if its for real compassion is a big player. when they are dead your spouse will remember your kindness and even if they dont you did the right thing.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,522,891 times
I'd have no problem with it

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,894,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
An interesting "What if....?" question presented to me today.

Your SO has an ex you cannot tolerate who becomes terminally ill. Would you be OK with them being in touch?
No. I would not be okay with it.

Quote:
Would you be OK with the SO visiting?
NO.

Quote:
Would you be OK with one final attempt at a friendship?
No.

Quote:
It would provide a clearer understanding if you could share why you dislike this person. I imagine it could be a violation of boundaries, unfinished business, an affair or the mere fact that he/she is an ex.
Cant do that because this is just a hypothetical question.

I also wonder if it matters if they have children in common. [/quote]
Probably. But the way I would feel would be the same.

This whole situation is just silly. Doesnt matter if the ex was an ex spouse or just an ex boyfriend, I still would not be okay with them visiting or trying to strike up a friendship.

My ex wife found out she had cancer and I had NO desire at all to try to strike up friendship with her or visit her at all. She has boyfriend(s) and friends that could take care of her. I feel like it would be offensive to my wife to even consider trying to establish some type of "relationship" with her again. It just isnt right. I would never do it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 AM

68 posts, read 199,862 times
I was in this situation with my now-ex-husband. "Jill", The mother of his then-10 year old daughter, "Abby", had breast cancer that was in remission for several years before returning with a vengeance. Their breakup and subsequent interactions had been nasty. Until Jill was informed of her dismal prognosis, they had only spoken when absolutely necessary, and only about their daughter.

I was surprised when Jill called out of the blue and said she wanted to see my husband, and not exactly thrilled as she had meddled in our business and household via Abby a few too many times. When my husband came home from meeting with her, he told me that Jill was terminal and wanted to spend some time with him - and potentially some time with both him and Abby. When he asked what I thought he should do, a lot of emotions and opinions started churning around inside me and I had to take some time to process the request.

I thought of all of the negative things I'd heard about their relationship the scars Jill left on the man I love(d), not to mention the trouble she caused me sometimes. But then I looked long and hard at what kind of person I am - my ethics and what I value - and I did the only thing I felt was right, and that I had the right to do. I encouraged my husband to make his own decision, respected his choice to see her, and then was very careful not to make snarky comments or be passive-aggressive in the inevitable moments when I felt a little jealous or left out. Though the situation affected me, of course, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't ABOUT me. The reality is that Jill and my husband loved each other once, and I accepted that he might have needed to reconcile some things as much as she apparently did. I accepted that they had a daughter together and that this time could be healing for Abby. I also thought about how I might feel if I were Jill. What would I want to resolve in my life? The woman was going to die at 42 years of age, for crying out loud. Even if you don't like someone, that's still sad.

I definitely think it matters if there are children involved because children matter, period. Even if Abby hadn't even thought of wanting her parents to see each other I'm sure that the experience was helpful to her grieving process, and I know that my support of the situation was good for my relationship with Abby. I can't be sure, but I think I would've been okay with my husband seeing Jill even if they didn't have a child together. If they both wanted to do it, given all of their bad blood, then it was obviously the right thing for them to do.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,037,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sautille42 View Post
I was in this situation with my now-ex-husband.
That was very compassionate of you! Do you feel it had anything to do with the end of your marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships