Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You've implied that women aren't really looking for confidence when they say they are. You've accused women of wanting a daddy for daring to expect their partner to be decisive. You've said it seems more socially acceptable to knock a man's looks than a woman's. You've accused women of being too picky for not wanting a man who's 5'8".
Pointing out facts is neither gender bashing nor being a misogynist.

This site is heavily slanted to the women's perspective. When they say things that are EXACTLY the reverse, nobody bats an eye at the double standard. They don't like and don't want to hear an alternate perspective that is contrary to their view of life.

That view is that almost all women deserve the 20% of men who meet their exacting standards and may be able to get it together in the attributes that are not apparent from accross the room - with sufficient "encouragement" otherwise known as nagging. When they don't measure up, again, its all the fault of men.

Why not critize these double standards for a while and give us a break! Plenty of really good material out there......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
There was a time that men's "expectations" were all important. This era ended decades ago with the introduction of the pill and the sexual revolution.

Gradually, things have since changed so that it is now most young men who have trouble attracting anyone even close to being an equal. Women have sex to use to attract men who would otherwise be out of their league. It usually doesn't work for successful long term relationships but convinces them, for a time, that they are "in the game".

TV has influenced everyone but the ones who can act on this are women and they do, for the most part.

Then when they eventually lose their ability to compete, it's the fault of men's unrealistic expectations that prevent them from moving on and snagging a prime "nice guy" for support.
Oh great. Another "bitter nice guy" who's going to lay the blame for his frustrations with the world of dating at the foot of feminism and the sexual revolution. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
This site is heavily slanted to the women's perspective. When they say things that are EXACTLY the reverse, nobody bats an eye at the double standard. They don't like and don't want to hear an alternate perspective that is contrary to their view of life.
The only thing slanted is in the way you chose to view what people say. This site isn't slanted towards one gender the other. That's the tired complaint of certain male posters who don't like what they hear and don't like the reality of the dating scene. So they blame feminism and TV for brainwashing women. Here's what's funny though. Some men can't respond to a post without sneaking in a jab at women. If I post a thread asking if men are more shallow than they were in the past, along comes a male poster to say "no, but women are." Why couldn't he just say no and leave it at that? It's that sort of thing that's all too common on this board. Bitter guys who are just looking for an opening to say what they really think of women.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:

The only thing slanted is in the way you chose to view what people say.
Pot Kettle Black

Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Pot Kettle Black
Nope. I don't go around saying this site is slanted towards women whenever I read something I don't agree with, which seems to be the perpetual whine of certain male posters who can't find enough people to join in their women-bashing. It's actually pretty pathetic to see just how many men on here who are obviously frustrated with the realities of how the dating world is go on and on and on about how women are this or that, how feminism and political correctness has done so much damage, etc. What's missing in all that whining is these men actually owning up to their mistakes. It's become easier for a lot of male posters to just find fault with women than take a long hard look at themselves.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Nope. I don't go around saying this site is slanted towards women whenever I read something I don't agree with, which seems to be the perpetual whine of certain male posters who can't find enough people to join in their women-bashing. It's actually pretty pathetic to see just how many men on here who are obviously frustrated with the realities of how the dating world is go on and on and on about how women are this or that, how feminism and political correctness has done so much damage, etc. What's missing in all that whining is these men actually owning up to their mistakes. It's become easier for a lot of male posters to just find fault with women than take a long hard look at themselves.
This is a dating site dude most people here have been scorned in one way or another and have some baggage otherwise they wouldnt be on here..

You can pick apart and slant the majority of threads on here oen way or another if you have an agenda you bring..

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
This is a dating site dude most people here have been scorned in one way or another and have some baggage otherwise they wouldnt be on here..

You can pick apart and slant the majority of threads on here oen way or another if you have an agenda you bring..
Everyone has baggage. The problem is that some people broadcast just how jaded they are and how little they trust the opposite sex. It comes through in the way they generalize about them. One poster, who I won't name but everyone knows, has a history of starting threads which are really just an excuse to judge women. It's clear that he has little respect for them and blames his lack of success with them on them rather than on himself. But it makes little sense to come to a forum like this looking for people to validate your opinions and then lashing out at them when they disagree. So when someone says this site is heavily slanted towards women's views, that just tells me the poster is more upset over not finding enough people who agree with him.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think anybody who is influenced by a TV show needs to see a psychiatrist. Seriously! People these days are so incredibly empty and lacking so much in the personality department that they are easily influenced by just about any GARBAGE that the media puts out. If a tv shows dictates how you live your life, it is time to seek professional help!
Well said. Man, I can't even remember the last sitcom I watched. I think it was Everybody Loves Ramon, that tool-time one and Seinfeld. No influence here but to laugh.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sounds a bit like a high school exam question, lol. Discuss...

I'm of the opinion they generally reinforce stereotypes, but there are definitely exceptions, although there's a general tone of mocking and patronising that's maybe a by-product of humour that I think can make it harder for people to free themselves from the superficialities that breed insecurity.
TV effects society period. Right now, those reality shows all promote fighting each other and I cannot believe people can live with themselves after acting like that....but instead of promoting teamwork, it promotes look out for number one and do anything to get there...even if it means, ruining someone's life, that's ok, and I've seen it in the corporate world....

It also promotes instant gratification....

the sitcoms tell parents and children, it's ok to talk back to your parents...it's ok to be a bad kid...they do not promote, respect for parents, or the privet space of others....when I go to a movie theator, if the parents are texting in there, so will the kids....people have lost the word curtosy from they're vocabulary, and TV is hugely responsible for society's behavior.

We are conditioned by TV to think and believe.....

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
TV effects society period. Right now, those reality shows all promote fighting each other and I cannot believe people can live with themselves after acting like that....but instead of promoting teamwork, it promotes look out for number one and do anything to get there...even if it means, ruining someone's life, that's ok, and I've seen it in the corporate world....

It also promotes instant gratification....

the sitcoms tell parents and children, it's ok to talk back to your parents...it's ok to be a bad kid...they do not promote, respect for parents, or the privet space of others....when I go to a movie theator, if the parents are texting in there, so will the kids....people have lost the word curtosy from they're vocabulary, and TV is hugely responsible for society's behavior.

We are conditioned by TV to think and believe.....
You can't blame TV for conditioning. People can ignore what they see or hear in the media. Likewise, parents can educate their kids not to imitate what they see on TV. As you just pointed out, if parents are texting during a movie, then it's no surprise when the kids do so as well. It all starts with the parents.

As for reality TV, I don't know if people really come away thinking that it's every man for himself. Chances are if they think that, they thought that even before watching those shows. I tend to think reality TV is more about taking perverse pleasure in seeing others humiliate themselves for money. There was a show on TV called Fear Factor a few years ago. I would sometimes tune in to see what disgusting things people would eat, not because I enjoyed it, but because it amazed me to see how far people would go to win 50K. Then you have shows like American Karaoke and Dancing with the D-Listers. I'm sure a lot of people enjoy them, but for a lot of viewers, it's more about making fun of the contestants, seeing how far someone who used to be a star has sunk or seeing what cruel things Simon can say about someone's singing.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
You can't blame TV for conditioning. People can ignore what they see or hear in the media. Likewise, parents can educate their kids not to imitate what they see on TV. As you just pointed out, if parents are texting during a movie, then it's no surprise when the kids do so as well. It all starts with the parents.

As for reality TV, I don't know if people really come away thinking that it's every man for himself. Chances are if they think that, they thought that even before watching those shows. I tend to think reality TV is more about taking perverse pleasure in seeing others humiliate themselves for money. There was a show on TV called Fear Factor a few years ago. I would sometimes tune in to see what disgusting things people would eat, not because I enjoyed it, but because it amazed me to see how far people would go to win 50K. Then you have shows like American Karaoke and Dancing with the D-Listers. I'm sure a lot of people enjoy them, but for a lot of viewers, it's more about making fun of the contestants, seeing how far someone who used to be a star has sunk or seeing what cruel things Simon can say about someone's singing.
well I'll tell you what, if you consider that entertainment, no wonder America is in dire straights....I'm sorry but we agree to disagree...
TV is responsible and it's been proven, to condition society....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships