U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:20 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,283,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I wear a Sterling Silver watch, but nothing with flashy diamonds. I read the Huffington Post, and pity the small minds that oppose itís views. I watch people come out of church, and pity their simple minds. I smell of mahogany wood and rich leather books, but not of cheap cologne. I have many friends, but none that are allowed to get to close. I drink the finest whiskeys, not common man beers. I drive a suitable car, nothing that would cause me to take debt. I value my own opinions, never anybody elseís.

I hope nobody points out I'm a huge snob.
Are you on a horse?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,005,366 times
Right now plastic surgery is huge, even tough guys like Mickey Rourke do it, so the current thinking is that aging is so bad that looking weird and alien is preferable to looking mature. This is really being put into the minds of younger people and it bleeds all through society. Those Real Housewives? All botoxed and messed up but getting fame and attention. If you told any of them they look their age they would probably take an oxy overdose. If you told them they look weird they'd just deny it and say you are jealous.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 8,085,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right now plastic surgery is huge, even tough guys like Mickey Rourke do it, so the current thinking is that aging is so bad that looking weird and alien is preferable to looking mature. This is really being put into the minds of younger people and it bleeds all through society. Those Real Housewives? All botoxed and messed up but getting fame and attention. If you told any of them they look their age they would probably take an oxy overdose. If you told them they look weird they'd just deny it and say you are jealous.
Exactly. Some people are proud of their age. They don't walk around feeling like it's something to hide. They know they can't pass for 25 and they don't care.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

20,782 posts, read 18,014,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Are you on a horse?
Forget the horse, I want the handful of diamonds.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

5,148 posts, read 1,623,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Are you on a horse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Forget the horse, I want the handful of diamonds.

Ladies, ladies, please. When I am done criticizing my friends, I will have more than enough time for you two.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM

8,857 posts, read 10,676,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Fine. I should've clarified that in my original post. For anyone joining this thread, ignore the original wording and treat it as "have you ever said anything OR if it were someone you were close to, how would you say it?"
The question remains--have you ever confronted someone with this sort of criticism and if so, what was the outcome?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,005,366 times
Some moms are guilty of this, saying they don't want to look like a mom and they try extra hard to look younger and demanding baby accessories that look like something else. There are diaper bags that are made to look like anything but a diaper bag. Why, why be ashamed to look like a mom when you are a mom?!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 8,085,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The question remains--have you ever confronted someone with this sort of criticism and if so, what was the outcome?
I work in IT and a lot of my friends work in the field as developers. Most developers see development as grunt work, something to do to pay their dues before they move up into a more managerial role. One friend who fancied himself in such a role was growing tired of being a developer, feeling like it was beneath him and that his true talent lay in being a project manager. But having known him for years and even having worked with him at one job, I didn't see him as being cut out for it. He doesn't have the temperament, the people skills, and he's lousy at delegating. He gets stressed too easily over little things, tends to be a control freak, isn't good at thinking on his feet or seeing the big picture, and tends to be condescending at times. When an opening came up at his company for a PM role, one of his colleagues got the job instead of him. He was angry and was ready to quit and go look for a PM job at another company. I thought about him giving him my honest opinion so that he wouldn't do something rash, like quit a job that was pretty good. But it's hard to be that brutally honest with a friend. They'll either conclude you're trying to give them constructive criticism or they'll feel like you're kicking them when they're down. He quit and eventually landed a PM job with another company. They fired him less than a year later because they weren't happy with how he managed the team. Most of the people he managed gave him bad reviews and offered up a lot of the criticisms I had. He was very shocked and angry because he felt like none of what they said accurately described him. But it's a perfect example of someone who was in denial of what he was. In this case, he was in denial of the fact that he wasn't cut out to be a manager. That's not to say he could never be one. Just that, at that particular moment, he wasn't. I sometimes wonder if things would've turned out differently had I spoken up. Maybe if I told him what I thought, he wouldn't have quit that job. And maybe when he finally did get a PM job, he would've known better how to be a good PM. Or maybe he would've just ignored me and gone on acting the same way. Who knows? So I'm by no means suggesting that telling people the truth is easy. Just that sometimes it's necessary, even if it's something they won't like hearing.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,766,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I do know a lady in her 50s who dresses like a teen but I don't say anything. She is in shape and can wear the clothes but it does look a bit off.
My neighbour who is clearly in her mid fifties does this too (not so much in shape though). Her boyfriend appears to be 20 years younger than her however so I can totally understand..

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM

726 posts, read 930,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I wear a Sterling Silver watch, but nothing with flashy diamonds. I read the Huffington Post, and pity the small minds that oppose itís views. I watch people come out of church, and pity their simple minds. I smell of mahogany wood and rich leather books, but not of cheap cologne. I have many friends, but none that are allowed to get to close. I drink the finest whiskeys, not common man beers. I drive a suitable car, nothing that would cause me to take debt. I value my own opinions, never anybody elseís.

I hope nobody points out I'm a huge snob.
Well I hope you are not serious??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships