Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times

Advertisements

Not liking animals was a deal breaker for me. I would not have married someone who didn't like some sort of fuzzy little critter.

Now, if my husband became deathly allergic to our dog tomorrow, I'd rehome her. I don't put her before my husband. But if he hadn't liked pets from the start, there never would have been a second or third date.

Luckily, we both love our pup to pieces We adopted her together shortly after we were married, and she's a now spoiled little baby who sleeps on our bed, eats better food than we do, and we plan dog friendly vacations so she can come along.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Is it a dog that they go out for the daily walk? Or is it the dog that they address in baby talk, have umpteen photos in their cubicle at work, prate on and on about the funny things the animal did, and generally treat it like the surrogate child?

If you have the second one on your hands, then run. And, when it comes cats, three or more is also a warning sign.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Just to be clear, we're talking about dating or otherwise having a relationship with the sort of folks who are really "into" their pets. We're not talking about pets as "therapy" for hospitals, shut-ins, etc..

But what got me to thinking about this, was noticing how many women in online dating profiles now, that not only include a prominent photo of them with their dog... alot of times they'll also post pics just of the dog!
As a female that has used online dating sites for quite some time, I can ASSURE you this behavior is NOT restricted to the female gender. If I had a nickel for every guy's profile that had half of the pics of their dogs....I'd have a tidy sum.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Some females shouldn't post a female dog as their profile pic. Hahaha :X

Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Some females shouldn't post a female dog as their profile pic. Hahaha :X
Are they beyotches if they do?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
I will be certain not to mention it here when my dog dies.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Are they beyotches if they do?
Maaaybee. lol I love my pets! I do the baby talk. Love when they respond with barks or meows. My cat does this paw thing that turns in. We call it his gay paw. My dog does this fast running through the house when she is happy. Funny stuff. I would need my man to love animals.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
As a female that has used online dating sites for quite some time, I can ASSURE you this behavior is NOT restricted to the female gender. If I had a nickel for every guy's profile that had half of the pics of their dogs....I'd have a tidy sum.
I was going to comment on that, too! As part of my old online profile, I had a "mock" profile, with every cliche in the book. One of my "stipulations" was that I refused to consider any man without a pic of his dog in his profile.

I followed that with my real profile, of course.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I agree but to many people their pet is a large part of the family. Ever venture over to the Pet Forum and read about their dogs passing ? It's so tragic to them it's hard to read.

Not accepting someones pet that you are starting to date is equivalent to not accepting their kid. Not sure what would be worse dating someone with an untrained kid or an untrained dog. I take it back, the untrained kid would be worse.
I have been with my bf for over 4 years. Last week, I had to make an appointment to put my cat to sleep. I ended up having to do it earlier than Saturday, but when the plan was still for the weekend, I called him up and asked him to come down to help me get through it. In my mind, I knew what his answer would be, but I also realized that if he had said anything but "of course", or even hesitated for a moment, that would be the end of our relationship. My cat was a huge part of my life, and had been through a lot with me over 15 years. Anyone who would not understand that is, well, not someone I even want to be friends with, let alone date.

I live alone, and my furry friends are what I have when I get home from a long day at work. And, a dog will rarely get angry when you come home late without calling. The cats get a bit peeved when I get home from a weekend away, but that's nothing that a little tuna won't fix...

There are many people in the world that don't view animals like I do, and I accept that, but I also choose not to spend my time dealing with people who don't understand the true happiness and (unfortunately) true heartache that having a pet brings.

So, yes, I have pics of my pets in my cubicle at work, and I regale some of my co-workers with my puppy's antics. If people don't like that, well, they can go scratch.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I love animals, and have one cat who is well cared for.

I'm not sure I'm going to say this right....

I don't find people appealing who have what seems like an emotional involvement with there pets. The ones who talk like they are people, all the time. It seems sad to me.

I have a friend who got a purse dog when her children all left home. She freely states that why she got it. It's too cute. It comes with her most places. I have no problem with that. It makes her happy. And there is some emotion involved because she had a need to nurture something. BUT, she doesn't talk about it like a person, or make you talk to it, or any of the things I find somewhat disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships