Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,678,259 times

Advertisements

I have a single girlfriend who talks about her two small dogs constantly. Her life revolves around them. She is always emailing me photos of them too.

I really wonder sometimes if the dogs interfere with her dating life. It seems that any dog loving man would already have a dog or two of his own, right? So joining dog families would be a big commitment.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

936 posts, read 2,057,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
If my dog doesn't like you, chances are eventually I'll find out what an awful person you are. He has great judgement

Yes, some people like myself really enjoy their pets, and treat them more like children. If my boyfriend doesn't like that, he can hit the road=)
Is that because you use your pet's reaction to look for an excuse to judge them awful? Whenever I hear about someone's pet's allegedly unfailing instinct about SOs, that's what comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I have a single girlfriend who talks about her two small dogs constantly. Her life revolves around them. She is always emailing me photos of them too.

I really wonder sometimes if the dogs interfere with her dating life. It seems that any dog loving man would already have a dog or two of his own, right? So joining dog families would be a big commitment.
Not necessarily. As John Cusack said in Must Love Dogs, "You said 'must love dogs', not 'must own dog'. I do love dogs." I love both dogs and cats, but I live in a place that doesn't allow pets.

As for your friend, it's a red flag if I'm playing second fiddle to Fido. They're pets, folks, not furry people. A little perspective, please.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,543,724 times
i was watching a show where this guy was taking this girl on a date....when she got in his truck he had a big dog with him...(cute)

She said ' I dont do dogs"
He was like " Neither do I"

However she eventually fell in love with him and the dog.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,042,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
eh.. depends on what you want.

i thought it was "cute", for a little while... that is until i started to see it in a different light.

a lot of women treat their dogs/cats as some freak replacement for a husband and/or child. i find this unsettling, but this doesn't necessarily make them "not relationship material."

I love dogs, but if some woman is pushing her dog around in a baby stroller when going for walks, it's over.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
My sister-in-laws best friend has a chihuahua, and she's definitely of the "looooove your pet" variety. She stayed with the dog in a pet-friendly hotel, and while she was out of the room for a few hours the dog proceeded to scratch up the back of the door and poop all over the floor. When we suggested that maybe the dog should be in a crate, the woman looked as if she'd been slapped and yelled "would *you* like to be in a cage?" That's the difference. It's not that she shouldn't love her dog, it's that she doesn't recognize that it's a dog, not a person.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,523,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post
My childhood was filled with violence, abuse, and terror. "No wire hangers" would be an understatement. I'm a grown adult and I go nuts over dogs.
I said 'often'. It's not an universal rule. I'm talking about people who put animals at the same levels as human just because they're cute, while deliberatly ignoring how the meat they're eating is treated.

When you measure worth based on cutiness, you have the emotional integrity of a child and don't know much about life.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Perfect because I would avoid a person with your POV in any aspect of my life.
You could've started by not responding to my POV.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
To me, a red flag is raised everytime I encounter a potential mate where his pet takes priority over everything, everyone else.
That's precisely the people I'm talking about.

There are all kinds of pet owners, but his particular kind, often hide much bigger issues behind their over the top love for their pets.

I wouldn't go near someone who humanize his critters.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I love my dog. Anyone who knows me knows that is true. I will take my dog over any human, anyday. As dogwalker said, I took her on as my responsibility and I will own up to that until it is her time to go.

That said, I do not dress her up. I do not let her sit at the dinner table with me. I do not feed her people food. She does not sleep in the bed (she prefers to sleep in the living room).

Anyone who will turn over a pet because it suddenly becomes inconvenient for them has a black soul as far as I'm concerned. They have no sense of commitment or responsibility, and certainly no sense of loyalty - definitely low on the totem pole of being.
I would marry you in an instant if I weren't already married . My dogs have slept in bed from time to time when they were younger. As they grew older they preferred other places. I don't dress my dogs up either. But they are a lifetime commitment.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 AM

936 posts, read 2,057,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
In "The Truth About Cats & Dogs", Janeane Garofalo once said, "there's loving your pets, and then there's loooooving your pets."

How do you feel about dating folks in the second category... does the type of relationship they have with their pet ever "get in the way" and take priority over their human relationships?

Or as one website puts it, "Are Single Women (or Men) With Dogs, The New 'Spinsters With Cats'... or something like that?"
It's been a while since I've seen that one, but I don't think she was referring to people who dote on or anthropomorphize pets. I think she was referring to "the love that dare not bark its name".

And no, I wouldn't date such people, under either interpretation. Because one is creepy with an option on sad, and the other is just....!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.