Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

Do you think how much you love a person depends on your genetic relationship to them? Or does it depend more on how large and how positive your relationship with that person is? Can a friend ever be as dear as a family member? Should you stick with family even if they're not good people or you don't get along with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Do you think how much you love a person depends on your genetic relationship to them? Or does it depend more on how large and how positive your relationship with that person is? Can a friend ever be as dear as a family member? Should you stick with family even if they're not good people or you don't get along with them?
I definitely think a friend can be just as dear as a family member. I think the "blood is thicker than water" really is a very overused term to describe your loyalties to another. I think how strong a relationship is, how long, etc all comes into play. I have family members I'm not close with at all and I'd certainly choose my friends over some of them.
My children on the other hand, well those are born from me and I'd never choose another over them. I'd tell them if they were wrong but I'd never take someone elses side over them and cut them out of my life for any reason.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I tried to explain my relationship to my siblings to my exboyfriend a long time ago, and he's an only child and just couldn't understand it. Yes, my sister does really stupid stuff....and she's kind of a drama queen, but I absolutely love her to death. I may not like her very much, but I do love her My brother's awesome, so there's no issue there. He just didn't see how that was possible.

As for friends, I do consider my best friend as a part of my family. I would do absolutely anything for her and we can go months without any contact and pick up right where we left off with no issue.

I love my family as they're genuinely good people, but I have cut contact with a few extended family members (2 cousins and an aunt) because they were just plain terrible human beings. I don't see a problem with that at all.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I tried to explain my relationship to my siblings to my exboyfriend a long time ago, and he's an only child and just couldn't understand it. Yes, my sister does really stupid stuff....and she's kind of a drama queen, but I absolutely love her to death. I may not like her very much, but I do love her My brother's awesome, so there's no issue there. He just didn't see how that was possible.

As for friends, I do consider my best friend as a part of my family. I would do absolutely anything for her and we can go months without any contact and pick up right where we left off with no issue.

I love my family as they're genuinely good people, but I have cut contact with a few extended family members (2 cousins and an aunt) because they were just plain terrible human beings. I don't see a problem with that at all.

As an only child myself and my b/f having a brother (whom I don't have warm and fuzzies for) yes, it's hard getting your point through to an only child. We are quick to make assumptions about other peoples' siblings but the truth is, if YOU are happy with your family, then he should be supportive of you.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

268 posts, read 453,950 times
I was raised in a very tight knit family with 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I'll defend all of my immediate family and most of my extended family to the death, even if I think they might be in the wrong.

Family is family and you have to stick together. That's the way I see it.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Quote:
There is a fine line with the saying "blood is thicker than water" and depending on scenario it may not always apply.

I have friends who have done more for me and would help me out quicker than my family would so yes, friends can be as dear (if not more) than a family member.

With family, cutting them out of your life is more difficult and hurtful than a friend because you expect more from them. However, it doesn't change the fact family can be just as (if not more) harmful to you than friend.....hell, even a stranger for that matter!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
Yeah children are an exception for sure since they are literally an extension of your own being and you're a huge part of who they are, so even if they're say, a serial killer, you're still going to love them and even blame yourself probably in some way. of course, some people disown their kids for being gay.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,001 times
Quote:
I'm much closer to my friends than to my family. I would much sooner lay down my life for my friends than any of the *******s with whom I share DNA. I stick by those that deserve my loyalty. And those that don't deserve it are on their own, regardless of blood.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Um, unless we have alot of hillbillies here, isn't alot of this what the "Hatfields and McCoys" was all about...?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

No, blood is not always thicker than water.

You can be very bonded to someone (friend, lover, husband) that you share absolutely no blood with

I do not personally believe in sticking with family who has screwed you (or screwed you up) and never tried to right things or even apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships