Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you use politeness terms with your S/O?
I say "Please" and "Thanks" every single time. 29 80.56%
I say "Please" and "Thanks" sometimes but don't feel its necessary all the time. 7 19.44%
I never say "Please" or "Thanks" to my S/O. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

I say please and thanks every single time. This is about common courtesy and manners. Its how I was raised by my parents so its my nature to always say please and thanks. I think it would be weird and totally out of character to do otherwise.

Just because you are comfortable with a person doesnt mean you should let common courtesy and manners to sh*t!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Or he'll spank you
If I’m lucky.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Your sisters are Japanese but you don't know how to spell it? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
She probably spells Japanese well in Japense
Haha. We're not Japanese but we do enjoy learning Japanese. She's teaching me so yeah. So I thank her for teaching me in Japanese as well. haha.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I say please and thanks every single time. This is about common courtesy and manners. Its how I was raised by my parents so its my nature to always say please and thanks. I think it would be weird and totally out of character to do otherwise.

Just because you are comfortable with a person doesnt mean you should let common courtesy and manners to sh*t!
I agree. In fact manners and an attitude of gratitude are even more important in a long-term relationship.

Why treat those we love worse than we would treat a stranger on the street?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I believe very strongly that being courteous is paramount be it with strangers or relatives and loved ones.

I love Hubby more than anybody else in the world so it follows that I will treat him with at least the same level of politeness as I would someone I don't even care about. I always try to say say thank you and please and always try very hard to show appreciation for whatever he does for me. We still give each other little thank you cards ( or e-cards ) on a regular basis after 22 years together.

I have never understood people who make less effort for their spouse than for someone down the street they have never met before. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I do value politeness and good manners and a lack of those are one of my biggest complaint about modern society.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I agree. In fact manners and an attitude of gratitude are even more important in a long-term relationship.

Why treat those we love worse than we would treat a stranger on the street?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have never understood people who make less effort for their spouse than for someone down the street they have never met before. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I agree.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I always say please and thanks to my SO. On occasion I might be rushed and not say it but a few mins later I'll realize that I didn't say thanks or please and then I'll say it. We also tell each other "I love you" on a daily basis. Another thing I've learned is to never go to bed angry. I also institued the "fair warning" into our relationship, if I'm feeling grumpy, I give him warning ahead of time LOL He does the same.
Life is too short for guessing games. When your SO is in a bad mood, being up front and honest about it (warning) sure beats the guessing game i.e., "why is he / she mad", "did I do something?", etc... LOL

All good practices to incorporate into any relationship, even just friends (minus the I love you part LOL)

Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,747 times
I don't feel that Thank You and Please are used enough. I haven't heard to many people say Excuse me or I'm Sorry enough either.There are several social graces that aren't used much anymore or not at all.Look at how rude people are while driving etc.My opinion is that it doesn't take anylonger to be polite to someone as it does to be rude.

Last edited by Cherie Tebo; 09-02-2010 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Had to correct wording in a sentence.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I believe very strongly that being courteous is paramount be it with strangers or relatives and loved ones.

I love Hubby more than anybody else in the world so it follows that I will treat him with at least the same level of politeness as I would someone I don't even care about. I always try to say say thank you and please and always try very hard to show appreciation for whatever he does for me. We still give each other little thank you cards ( or e-cards ) on a regular basis after 22 years together.

I do value politeness and good manners and a lack of those are one of my biggest complaint about modern society.

I'm telling you, those who don't get this will not have very happy or successful marriages

You are proof - 22 years! Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships