Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,419,286 times

Advertisements

Yes, some people just need the right motivation to do the best and be the best. Without any motivation, some just walk around like the living dead. Finding the right partner is a huge motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 AM

791 posts, read 1,425,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Yes, some people just need the right motivation to do the best and be the best. Without any motivation, some just walk around like the living dead. Finding the right partner is a huge motivation.
it`s very important....the right one can inspire...the wrong one can crush

Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,419,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
it`s very important....the right one can inspire...the wrong one can crush
I agree. Sometimes a person's good luck can get ugly in a minute with a bad person by our side. Choose wisely.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,010,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd rather say "Every man needs a good woman." Yes, a good woman can give a man purpose in life and cause him to leave his childish ways behind.

But more importantly, a mortgage and kids makes sure he goes to work everyday and on time.

^^^^
This.

There's an old saying:

Women worry about the future, until they get married.
Men never worry about the future... until they get married.

Now, I won't pretend that's any kind of absolute. In fact, I'd call it unjust and MORE than old-fashioned. However, with regard to the man's part of that saying, there IS some truth to it.

Men who have a moderately shiftless attitude CAN discover that once they're in a relationship to which they're actually devoted, they become concerned -- not so much with just appearances, rather more with RESULTS. This most commonly occurs when a man has a natural provider predisposition. It's a sign that he really cares for this woman and the relationship potential, and has suddenly taken a look around and realized the future is all around him, he needs to get on the ball and make things happen.

There are some who will say "Oh, he's just whipped" -- and it could be true except for one thing: That presence you say came about after he was with this woman for a while. Whipped men improve in dress and hygiene (assuming it was lacking) but they don't develop that presence.

Men who were simply lacking direction but had that potential... a good woman makes them yearn for more, gives them FOCUS, and they become MEN. The women didn't MAKE them men, they simply gave them a reason to make the change.

Whipped men don't command anything; Men do.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,010,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I think I helped my husband become a man. It's so cheesy, but you know that line from As Good As It Gets where he says, "you make me want to be a better man" Well I think I made my husband want to be a better man. Before he had no job, was lazy, terrible grades, no motivation. When he saw that we could have a future together, he got a job and changed his life. He did it for himself, but the idea of a future together was his inspiration. He says that if I hadn't come into his life he'd still be depressed, unemployed, living with his parents, etc. Hope that makes sense...

I hadn't read far enough down; this is exactly what I meant in my post. It's the motivation factor.

Another poster mentioned the confidence factor, and that can play into it. A man with a GOOD woman on his arm stands taller.

And as yet another poster remarked, a BAD partner... yeesh, I'm LIVING that scenario. One goes from waking up every day ready to seize the world by the throat to a gradual desire to simply NOT wake up... ever.

The OP's male subject is lucky he met a woman who made him stand taller, and the OP's friend is lucky she met a man who felt that motivation and took the steps toward Manhood.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,710,442 times
This theory won't materialize with a man who's hard headed and filled with overwhelming negativity. Folks, sometimes a woman can only do so much.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,545,843 times
Default A Woman turning a boy into a man??

I don't understand why any woman would want be with a boy, to begin with.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,176,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Do you believe in the phrase a woman can turn a boy into a man?

After seeing my friend and her man yesterday, I would have to say I believe the saying holds some truth. When she first met her guy he wasn't bad looking but you could kind of tell he was just going through life without a purpose sort a speak. Some of us were actually a bit surprised she gave the guy a chance.

Well they've been together like 4 months or so and that guy has done a complete 360. His appearance was always ok but now he has a aura to him that wasn't present before. He's now become that person that commands attention when he walks into a room. I really can't describe it but it just seem like he's become a better man since being with my friend.
Now I didn't read all the responses here but something here seems pretty obvious I am thinking.......

IMO when its that good, very strange phenomenal things happen..a transformation takes place and everyone sees it

nuff said about that

Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM

40,948 posts, read 49,138,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
This theory won't materialize with a man who's hard headed and filled with overwhelming negativity. Folks, sometimes a woman can only do so much.
Very true, a man (or woman) has to have the potential and intelligence to recognize a good thing and the motivation to want a good life and relationship.

An unmotivated loser just needs another mother. (or a stint in the Army)

Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 AM

301 posts, read 826,943 times
My husband had to convince me to date him.

We worked together. He had had 2 duis within 6 months. He was basically living out of his car and driving with no license and sleeping on friend's couches. He's very smart, but he got kicked out of college because he stopped going. He was a hot mess. Oh and he was making his way around work with the girls.

RED FLAGS EVERYWHERE!!!

But, I got sucked in anyway. I asked him about his 10 year or even 5 year plan and he smirked and said he lived in the moment.

He started getting things together soon after we started dating. He quit drinking even, for awhile. He got promoted and continued to get promoted. He's now very successful and very motivated. He went back to school and got his Bachelor's and is now almost finished with his master's and going to get his PHD next. We also have 2 kids, so I'm sure they contribute a lot to his "growing up".

I wonder all the time what would of became of him if we hadn't started dating, where he would of ended up. I used to take his keys all the time when he was drunk, take care of him, etc. I'm sure he would of ended up in jail.

All his girlfriends before me were party girls who liked to drink and get high. I'm the first girl he ever dated who wasn't into that stuff.

So, yeah. I made him a better person. But, he didn't do the same for me. He took and took. I gave and gave. Not equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships