Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times

Advertisements

Well, we have finally reached the point of divorce. I posted a few months ago how my husband was laid off, he could not find work, we are now homeless, I am recovering from a hysterectomy and we have 3 kids with no prospects. The fighting has become so bad, its intolerable. We lost everything, we have been staying with different relatives, the only work my husband could find was temp. work and its not consistent. Like appears to be hopeless at the moment. My husband refuses to see a counselor, the county has free couseling related to job loss. I don't know what to do anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Sounds like the perfect time to disrupt the family even more while adding an expensive divorce to things, doesn't it?

Is your husband just a lazy, good-for-nothing bum, or is he just having a really difficult time right now? What have you been doing to alleviate the situation rather than exacerbate?

I'm not pretending I know anything at all about your situation BUT you've provided no link to your previous posts and there's very little explanation here other than he's laid off, you're in bad health and you have mouths to feed, things are tense and you're sick of it and figure for divorce.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
I see in one of your threads how you were tired of things and that "everything seemed played out." It appears neither of you are taking advantage of these circumstances to make change. Surgery aside you're just like everyone else waiting for opportunities to find you. JMO.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think the OP's clue is in the last line: She is apparently willing to see a counselor, her husband is not. If one of the parties is screaming loud and clear that he has no interest in doing what needs to be done to repair the problems, there isn't much point in the other party hanging around hoping something will magically change. It won't.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
It's funny how people view getting a divorce as being a path to happiness - I know I sure did. I don't know anything about your situation either, but based solely on this thread I'd caution you that if you get a divorce you'll probably still be broke and unhappy. Broke and unhappy while raising children on your own. If your husband has otherwise been a good man, I suggest you explore whether he is suffering from depression due to his unemployment.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 09-05-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the OP's clue is in the last line: She is apparently willing to see a counselor, her husband is not. If one of the parties is screaming loud and clear that he has no interest in doing what needs to be done to repair the problems, there isn't much point in the other party hanging around hoping something will magically change. It won't.
That presupposes said counselor will do anything to help.

Guy needs a job, not someone commiserating with him about his job loss.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That presupposes said counselor will do anything to help.

Guy needs a job, not someone commiserating with him about his job loss.
No, it doesn't presuppose that the counselor will do anything to help. It presupposes that the guy is willing to work with his wife to face the challenges together.

It sounds to me as if there is a lot more than just not having a job that's created the problems. And since when does therapy consist of "commiserating"?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
She said that the counseling she wants him to go to is specifically related to his job loss.

Counseling isn't going to help. What's going to help is him finding another job.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Well, we have finally reached the point of divorce. I posted a few months ago how my husband was laid off, he could not find work, we are now homeless, I am recovering from a hysterectomy and we have 3 kids with no prospects. The fighting has become so bad, its intolerable. We lost everything, we have been staying with different relatives, the only work my husband could find was temp. work and its not consistent. Like appears to be hopeless at the moment. My husband refuses to see a counselor, the county has free couseling related to job loss. I don't know what to do anymore.
Since he cannot find work, what about you? Are you trying to find a job also? At the very least it sounds like you have the qualifications to work at a day care center. I don't know where you live, but except for a few places which have NO jobs, there are jobs out there. Even minimum wage would give you the money to live on. If you live somewhere that there are no jobs, then you need to move, which should be easy since you don't have a house payment or rent to worry about.

You should not put all the responsibility on your husband for providing an income. Although I do believe that a man should be the main bread-winner, in emergency situations EVERYONE has to pitch in. If your kids are old enough (12 or older), they can work too (mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.,) to help with the family budget. Nobody gets a free ride.

I realize that you are under a lot of stress, but this is the time to PULL TOGETHER as a family, not give up and destroy everything.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Since he cannot find work, what about you? Are you trying to find a job also? At the very least it sounds like you have the qualifications to work at a day care center. I don't know where you live, but except for a few places which have NO jobs, there are jobs out there. Even minimum wage would give you the money to live on. If you live somewhere that there are no jobs, then you need to move, which should be easy since you don't have a house payment or rent to worry about.

You should not put all the responsibility on your husband for providing an income. Although I do believe that a man should be the main bread-winner, in emergency situations EVERYONE has to pitch in. If your kids are old enough (12 or older), they can work too (mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.,) to help with the family budget. Nobody gets a free ride.

I realize that you are under a lot of stress, but this is the time to PULL TOGETHER as a family, not give up and destroy everything.

20yrsinBranson
Exactly. The children are about to be taught that when the going gets really tough that family cannot be depended upon and responsibility is to be walked away from. You will be treaching your children to be quitters, IMO. Seriously, short of abuse, y'all should be pulling together. Put aside the senseless arguing and bickering and spend time formulating a plan and working on your marriage. Apparently the time to do so is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships